Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:00:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Off-The-Grid (BOTG): secure savings script v0.1.1  (Read 13198 times)
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:50:52 PM

I hope my post isn't considered a necro but this method needs more exposure and most importantly more scrutinization (is that even a word?) by people who know the internals of bitcoin.

There should always be a secure way to create addresses offline with readily available tools in a standard linux distro. Since the privkey is generated by a single openssl command, you know 100% that it hasn't been tampered with. As opposed to trusting a website and downloading a program from it.

Am I too paranoid?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 03:08:52 PM

There's lots of ways to generate bitcoin addresses and you just need to pick the one that works best for you.  If using this script gives you the right mix of comfort and convenience, then this is the method for you.

It will be nice when generating bitcoin addresses is a feature as standard as creating a new text file or subdirectory.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Scrat Acorns

Activity: 293
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 03:23:17 PM

There's lots of ways to generate bitcoin addresses and you just need to pick the one that works best for you.  If using this script gives you the right mix of comfort and convenience, then this is the method for you.

It will be nice when generating bitcoin addresses is a feature as standard as creating a new text file or subdirectory.
I'm particularly worried by the "recreate key if hexsize != 64" deal. Won't that effectively reduce the keyspace? I know it won't be much but still.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 03:35:51 PM

There's lots of ways to generate bitcoin addresses and you just need to pick the one that works best for you.  If using this script gives you the right mix of comfort and convenience, then this is the method for you.

I'm particularly worried by the "recreate key if hexsize != 64" deal. Won't that effectively reduce the keyspace? I know it won't be much but still.

By about one bit.  It's an ugly hack so the script doesn't have to deal with signed numbers or leading zeros but won't reduce your security in any practical sense.

Bitcoin addresses themselves are only 160 bits, so going from 256 to 255 bits of private key is no big deal.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:03:26 PM

Looks like someone already necro'd this thread so I won't have to.  Grin

I stumbled across this thread while looking for something faster than pywallet to convert hexkeys to WIF privkeys and addresses... haven't quite gotten it running yet as it appears to depend on vim, which I don't usually have installed (vim provides xxd) just got it running after installing vim. It might be worth noting in the OP that it needs vim (and openssl, but I already had that) to run.

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
Red Emerald

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 08:18:34 PM

Looks like someone already necro'd this thread so I won't have to.  Grin

I stumbled across this thread while looking for something faster than pywallet to convert hexkeys to WIF privkeys and addresses... haven't quite gotten it running yet as it appears to depend on vim, which I don't usually have installed (vim provides xxd) just got it running after installing vim. It might be worth noting in the OP that it needs vim (and openssl, but I already had that) to run.
Why would this depend on vim?  I don't see vim called anywhere in the script.

grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:20:38 PM

Looks like someone already necro'd this thread so I won't have to.  Grin

Why would this depend on vim?  I don't see vim called anywhere in the script.

xxd is part of the Vim package.   To avoid this dependency you can use perl as mentioned earlier in this thread.

To spare you the hassle of looking for it:
Code:
checksum() {
    perl -we "print pack 'H*', '$1'" |
    openssl dgst -sha256 -binary |
    openssl dgst -sha256 -binary |
    perl -we "print unpack 'H8', join '', <>"
}

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: