Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:08:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats happens if phone breaks for 2FA?  (Read 677 times)
btcwish1 (OP)

Activity: 401
Merit: 108

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:54:00 PM

Hello friends,

I have recently enabled 2 factor authentication using google authenticator for different exchanges such as coinbase, kraken and some more applications.

My question is, what happens if my phone breaks or get lost?  In my new phone if i install google authenticator with same phone number, will it automatically get backed up?

if not, what option will I have if phone is lost or broken? 

Thanks  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:03:05 PM

Hello friends,

I have recently enabled 2 factor authentication using google authenticator for different exchanges such as coinbase, kraken and some more applications.

My question is, what happens if my phone breaks or get lost?  In my new phone if i install google authenticator with same phone number, will it automatically get backed up?

Thanks  Smiley

You should have received a backup code in the form of a QR-code, or a  seed, see

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2817262,
https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2488794-troubleshooting-2-factor-authentication,

I'm using coinbase here as an example, as im imagining Kraken & Bittrex will all be very similar to this.

btcwish1 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:18:40 PM

Hello friends,

Thanks  Smiley

You should have received a backup code in the form of a QR-code, or a  seed, see

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2488794-troubleshooting-2-factor-authentication,

I'm using coinbase here as an example, as im imagining Kraken & Bittrex will all be very similar to this.

Thanks for reply. So basically Google won't backup the authenticator applications?  is there no option?
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:24:25 PM

Hello friends,

Thanks  Smiley

Thanks for reply. So basically Google won't backup the authenticator applications?  is there no option?

I believe it does. (if i understand you question correctly) You should have received some kind of seed when you setted up your 2FA, which you can type in as a 1 time of recovery.
As i've linked you earlier this explains it, https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2817262

Also, even if you've lost everything, even your seed, i believe that in the case of coinbase, you can still submit a selfie / video session, and they could manually unlock the 2FA for you..

btcwish1 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:30:02 PM

Hello friends,

Thanks  Smiley

I believe it does. (if i understand you question correctly) You should have received some kind of seed when you setted up your 2FA, which you can type in as a 1 time of recovery.
As i've linked you earlier this explains it, https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2817262

Also, even if you've lost everything, even your seed, i believe that in the case of coinbase, you can still submit a selfie / video session, and they could manually unlock the 2FA for you..

Probably they showed some code when i was setting up. But I didn't take any copy etc because I usually just scan the qr code.   Since i started 2FA for other applications as well, I am just thinking what will happen if phone gets lost..
ikilledcobain

Activity: 446
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:48:06 PM

It happened to me - I reset the phone to try and fix it and lost the 2FA codes.

If you didn't write down the backup information, take 2FA off temporarily while you've still got the phone and then put it back on but write down the backup information this time.

For security, Google will not backup the codes in the app as it does with most of it's other products.

I had to send a bunch of verification stuff to bittrex and livecoin to prove the accounts were mine.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
btcwish1 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:57:05 PM

It happened to me - I reset the phone to try and fix it and lost the 2FA codes.

If you didn't write down the backup information, take 2FA off temporarily while you've still got the phone and then put it back on but write down the backup information this time.

For security, Google will not backup the codes in the app as it does with most of it's other products.

I had to send a bunch of verification stuff to bittrex and livecoin to prove the accounts were mine.

Thats Good idea. Thanks for nice suggestion
quochuan29

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 04:54:40 PM

You should capture it, make a zip file with password protect. Put it you google drive .. That is good way . event your laptop broken your computer not work you have no thing to worry .

MTRLS

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:06:04 PM

Nope. You need to go to google authenticator, click "+" and enter Your secret key. Keep it in safe place, it's really important.
mayadin

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:51:43 PM

Always backup your QR codes or the key it represents.
Authy allows you to backup the keys and migrate to new device I haven't tried to be honest.
lgbtcoin

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 07:57:06 PM

I prefer not to have 2FA. I only activate it when there is a need of increased limit, and deactivate it afterwards in order to avoid the risk of losing mobile phone, and thus any bitcoins.
geoduv

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:49:07 PM

when you subscribe to a 2FA security , you have a key that you have to keep secret . if you loose your Iphone you enter this key to recover your 2FA : . (On your new phone you install google authentificator and put your secret key in it and that's working. )What you have to do is changing immediately your 2FA security to get a new one in case of your old phone is used by malware people///
geoduv

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:51:53 PM

On kraken you have a recovery code that you can use if you loose your 2FA authentificator (you have to enter in security and 2FA menu )
D.Anand

Activity: 17

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:44:50 PM

Always keep copy of 2FA in print version secured.
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 10:24:36 PM

You need to backup the creation code/backup code or the qr-code picture in order to be able to recreate your entry. Otherwise you might have bad luck because some websites would not reset the code. No one can recover it then.

If you are lucky they have a procedure to reset it.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
xCRYPTO

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:39:08 AM

Hello friends,

My question is, what happens if my phone breaks or get lost?  In my new phone if i install google authenticator with same phone number, will it automatically get backed up?

Thanks  Smiley

You should have received a backup code in the form of a QR-code, or a  seed, see

Hello can i ask if is it possible to use 2 device with the same account? I just planning to make a back up to my second phone
clip123

Activity: 193

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:56:26 AM

Make sure to backup stuff or say goodbye to your coins.
Victorio

Activity: 281
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 01:38:52 PM

Google Authenticator does not export secret keys to cloud store (Google drive storage). It stores the keys into a SQLite database and you can access it, if you have a rooted Android device and a root explorer.
If you have already uninstalled the GAuthenticator app or formatted your phone's storage, you will not be able to recover the keys from the "databases" file.

coinspam

Activity: 56

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 01:48:17 PM

Hello friends,

Thanks  Smiley

Nope, you will be fucked if you didn't backup your backup codes from those sites.
coinsgod

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 02:07:25 PM

Authy app is what you're looking for to backup as Google Authenticator doesn't do this. Loose your phone and you're stuffed.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: