Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 06:15:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to switch or move to a new pc with Armory  (Read 2706 times)
Begru (OP)

Activity: 356
Merit: 29

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 05:51:13 AM

Hello,

I'm getting a runtime error on my 32bit Win7 4GB RAM pc. Bevor it works all fine but now I am runing into the RAM trap. All this is known.

But I want to know, how can I move Armory from old pc to the new pc ( Win7SP1 64bit 8GB RAM )
Which files must be copied or what must be all done?
suryc

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:12:21 AM

All you need to do is backup each Wallet from Armory (open wallet and click "Make Digital Backup") and then copy those backup files to the new machine and from the menu in Armory choose Wallets >> Import Armory Wallet File.

Or, if you have paper backups of your Armory wallets, you can use those to restore the wallets on a new PC.
Since Armory wallets are deterministic it doesn't matter if you made the backup when you first created the wallet. All of the information will still be there when you restore the wallet to a new machine and no need to copy any files.

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 05:35:16 PM

Since Armory wallets are deterministic it doesn't matter if you made the backup when you first created the wallet. All of the information will still be there when you restore the wallet to a new machine and no need to copy any files.
Any notes you have added after taking the backup will be lost.  But no BTC will be lost.

You may actually want to copy over both the full Armory data directory, and the whole Bitcoin-Qt data directory.  The latter will save you a 1-2 day synchonization of the block chain.  Unfortunately, I never use bitcoin under Windows, so I have no clue where the data is hidden.
Begru (OP)

Activity: 356
Merit: 29

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:40:46 PM

Thx for all helpful information.
After around 2 days synchronisation of the blockchain it works well with the digital backup.
This is really a easy way to do this.
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2013, 09:25:41 PM

You may actually want to copy over both the full Armory data directory, and the whole Bitcoin-Qt data directory.  The latter will save you a 1-2 day synchonization of the block chain.  Unfortunately, I never use bitcoin under Windows, so I have no clue where the data is hidden.

I use Armory, and thus also bitcoin-qt, on Windows 7.  The bitcoin-qt data is stored in this directory: "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin" where [username] is the username of your Windows account.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: