Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:24:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Core Docker  (Read 515 times)
Lincoln6Echo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2459
Merit: 1057

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:06:06 PM

Hi guys,

currently I am evaluating whether it makes sense to run Bitcoin Core on a synology NAS device such as this one:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS718+

It is possible to run Bitcoin Core through a Docker like this one:
https://github.com/ruimarinho/docker-bitcoin-core

However I have no experience with Docker before so I got some questions and it would be awesome if someone can help me out:

My questions are:

1. How can I verify that the Docker content is really identically to the source code?
2. Is it possible to update Bitcoin Core if needed without downloading the the whole chain again?
3. Will the performance of the NAS be sufficient to run Bitcoin Core with Docker? (Intel Celeron J3455, 4GB RAM)
4. Are there security concerns if I run Bitcoin Core on a NAS even if it runs as a seperate user?
5 Do you have any other point which have to be considered when choosing this solution?

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FryBulb

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 01:35:02 AM

Hi Lincoln6Echo
[1] The advantage of docker files is that they are just cookbook and with github you can read them.

Have to take the time to read them correctly but for now at first sight in these docker files the are:

It remains to verify and test more deeply, but it's a very good start.
FryBulb

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 02:35:22 PM

4. Are there security concerns if I run Bitcoin Core on a NAS even if it runs as a seperate user?

Probably no, docker container is made for this. If it's possible to install docker on this Nas OS, it like yous install a side by side a another Os with bitcore on it. There is no communication with the Nas software.
FryBulb

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 02:43:19 PM

5 Do you have any other point which have to be considered when choosing this solution?
Thank you!

If you have full acces with the OS Nas and dont need the Nas application better to clean all and have only bitcore-core on it.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 03:00:32 PM

Hi guys,

currently I am evaluating whether it makes sense to run Bitcoin Core on a synology NAS device such as this one:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS718+

It is possible to run Bitcoin Core through a Docker like this one:
https://github.com/ruimarinho/docker-bitcoin-core

However I have no experience with Docker before so I got some questions and it would be awesome if someone can help me out:

My questions are:

1. How can I verify that the Docker content is really identically to the source code?
2. Is it possible to update Bitcoin Core if needed without downloading the the whole chain again?
3. Will the performance of the NAS be sufficient to run Bitcoin Core with Docker? (Intel Celeron J3455, 4GB RAM)

Thank you!

As stated above it should be good enough providing you have full access to the operating system. Although im not sure of the speed of that type of cpu but I think most nas drives have 1GHz minimum.
There shouldn't be any security issues different to those on a computer. Especially considering you can't easily accidentally install something on it as it's Linux.

Finally, you should be able just to install the new version of the core straight onto the nas. Some SSH/remote desktop services may be required unless the NAS drive has VGA/HDMI output.
Lincoln6Echo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2459
Merit: 1057

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 06:52:41 PM

Probably no, docker container is made for this. If it's possible to install docker on this Nas OS, it like yous install a side by side a another Os with bitcore on it. There is no communication with the Nas software.

Ah nice! Thanks@ all for the replies so far. The Synology NAS OS doesn't allow root access so I think Docker is a good solution in this case. Would create a new user account only for bitcoin core/ docker.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: