Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:43:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is ZorroVPN safe?  (Read 1756 times)
CoinEntropy (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:26:34 AM

I'm highly intrigued by the whole VPN-chain by a few clicks, seems to be the safest and most anonymous bet out of all the VPNs.

What I'm asking is for some people that use Zorro or have used it to tell me their honest opinion of its service.

Hey.
raze

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:34:57 AM

You have to be able to trust the VPN provider. Since it's hard to trust anyone on the interwebs, no VPN is ever totally safe. So I guess you're better off using TOR and a VPN, and maybe DNScrypt as well. You also have to be careful what you're sending, be careful not to use your real name or address or anything like that.

Whatever you do, never use a free "anonymous proxy" Tongue I watched a video just the other night of a guy that set up a botnet and got 5000 bots in one day from running one of these proxies. It was too easy.

Without giving too much away, what are you going to be using this VPN for? Just general web browsing?

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
CoinEntropy (OP)

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:51:47 AM

You have to be able to trust the VPN provider. Since it's hard to trust anyone on the interwebs, no VPN is ever totally safe. So I guess you're better off using TOR and a VPN, and maybe DNScrypt as well. You also have to be careful what you're sending, be careful not to use your real name or address or anything like that.

Whatever you do, never use a free "anonymous proxy" Tongue I watched a video just the other night of a guy that set up a botnet and got 5000 bots in one day from running one of these proxies. It was too easy.

Without giving too much away, what are you going to be using this VPN for? Just general web browsing?

I'm seeking a 24-7 VPN that never turns off, handling normal private information that could be sensitive and harmful in the wrong hands.

Just general web browsing, yes.

Hey.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 09:49:29 AM

I'm seeking a 24-7 VPN that never turns off, handling normal private information that could be sensitive and harmful in the wrong hands.

Just general web browsing, yes.
Try googling it. Look at the reviews, comments and ratings of the VPN.

OpenYourEyes

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:38:17 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 02:52:58 AM by OpenYourEyes

For a small extra per month, you could rent out an offshore dedicated server and install OpenVPN, or the like.
At least that will give you the extra protection knowing that you are in full control of the server and there is less risk of the provider monitoring/logging what you are doing.

takemybitcoins.com: Spend a few seconds entering a merchants email address to encourage them to accept Bitcoin
PGP key | Bitmessage: BM-GuCA7CkQ8ojXSFGrREpMDuWgv495FUX7
raze

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:46:25 PM

Partial anonymity is easy. Full anonymity on the internet is so difficult to achieve entirely. I like the use of live distro's because there isn't any "physical" evidence (though I'm not sure if this matters at all). At least if someone comes knocking, you're pretty safe. If you need to keep some information though, you have to take extra steps.

If you've heard of "the Jester" (th3j3ster) then you might've seen this page. It taught me a few things I didn't know and you might be interested as well.

CoinEntropy (OP)

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:30:56 AM

For a small extra per month, you could rent out an offshore dedicated server and install OpenVPN, or the like.
At least that will give you the extra protection knowing that you are in full control of the server and there is less risk of the provider monitoring/logging what you are doing.

How would someone with no internet 'skills' do this on Windows?

Hey.
raze

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:45:11 AM

This is talking about setting up a remote machine offshore, not changing your machine.

CoinEntropy (OP)

Metacoin Enthusiast

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:46:36 AM

This is talking about setting up a remote machine offshore, not changing your machine.

So I 'offshore' or route my connection through this remote machine? Any links for accomplishing this?

Hey.
OpenYourEyes

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:58:37 AM

So I 'offshore' or route my connection through this remote machine? Any links for accomplishing this?

You need a bit of Linux command line experience to accomplish this, and on Windows/mac (not used it in years) you may need to install extra utilities.

*Rent (paying monthly) for a dedicated server. Like these French ones.
*Set up OpenVPN (Google 'OpenVPN linux tutorial')
*Use a VPN client on your PC/phone/etc which then routes all of your traffic to the server, and from there it goes out 'to the internet'

takemybitcoins.com: Spend a few seconds entering a merchants email address to encourage them to accept Bitcoin
PGP key | Bitmessage: BM-GuCA7CkQ8ojXSFGrREpMDuWgv495FUX7
raze

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:12:14 AM

Try this.

This will involve quite a few skills and some time to know what you're doing. Unless someone here is pretty dedicated, you'll have to spend a little time reading up on this yourself.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:33:09 AM

You might as well go for ZorroVPN. I've tried it out (received free 1 month trial) and they offer really cool VPN chains with TOR as well as many locations.

It's probably one of the best I've tried at a reasonable price. If you're real paranoid, you can chain some proxies then connect.
Exocyst

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Science!

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:56:06 AM

Add this coupon code for 55% discount of any service term:
HAPPYBITCOINSUMMER

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: