Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: delete  (Read 9095 times)
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:52:01 AM

There is a new version of the FTC client released today with checkpoints added.

Version 0.6.4.1 make sure you grab it especially if you are a pool operator.

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:10:04 AM

How does all of this relate to FTC and LTC in 2013?

The very same people that truly despised everything LTC back then that created the Scrypt GPU Miner to kill LTC are still around.

Well yes they are, but most have warmed to LTC especially compared to the current swarm of alt coin.

This attack on FTC is a simple warm up for LTC.

~BCX~

Not at all, they'd not need a warmup and would have gone for LTC first. LTC legitimised iteslef somewhat by surviving earlier attacks, and not having been premined etc. and I'm no fan of LTC.
FTC  is just a pretend coin trying living off LTC success.
erk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:20:41 AM

Not at all, they'd not need a warmup and would have gone for LTC first. LTC legitimised iteslef somewhat by surviving earlier attacks, and not having been premined etc. and I'm no fan of LTC.
FTC  is just a pretend coin trying living off LTC success.

You could say LTC was a pretend coin trying to live off the BTC success. That's how inheritance works, each spinoff makes little changes.
LTC and BTC would die if they suddenly lost a substantial part of their net hash rate. Imagine what would happen to BTC if ASICMINER went bust and shut their mining operation.  FTC and several other coins have proved this, FTC made changes to compensate, which LTC and BTC have not done so, they are the high risk coins, only increasing mining activity keeps them from failure.

kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:32:05 AM

You could say LTC was a pretend coin trying to live off the BTC success. That's how inheritance works, each spinoff makes little changes.
LTC and BTC would die if they suddenly lost a substantial part of their net hash rate. Imagine what would happen to BTC if ASICMINER went bust and shut their mining operation.  FTC and several other coins have proved this, FTC made changes to compensate, which LTC and BTC have not done so, they are the high risk coins, only increasing mining activity keeps them from failure.

Yeah but LTC was done honestly and fairly and to work side by side with BTC....and its time out there legitimised it. FTC is equal to so many other alt coins out there just the dev try and pretend to the public its designed to work under LTC...which is bs.

FTC made changes to compensate lol.....mmm yeah sure dude it'll be lucky to survive the week.
erk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:39:29 AM

Yeah but LTC was done honestly and fairly and to work side by side with BTC....and its time out there legitimised it. FTC is equal to so many other alt coins out there just the dev try and pretend to the public its designed to work under LTC...which is bs.

FTC made changes to compensate lol.....mmm yeah sure dude it'll be lucky to survive the week.

Honestly and fairly, what cloy patriotic nonsense. It is open source, all is fair as long as you stick within the copyright.

BladeRunner

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

Cheif Oompa Loompa.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:47:48 AM

ASIC's are surely possible for scrypt mining - because ASIC means that you build circuit for specific think - and when you have specific needs there is no problem to put memory scrypt needs. Memory these days is very cheap so ASIC could be designed + build for reasonable price

I might further add, that the first ones you see will not be ASIC, they will be FPGA's with some external ram to hash the 128K block. The theory is that cgminer is being ported to VHDL to burn into some FPGA's. Once thats done it becomes quite easy to contract a chip designer to make it in stone (asics). In fact. there is NO encryption hash that cannot be done in an ASIC.

FPGA's might be the wave of future miners. they may take a bit more power and might be a little more expensive than ASIC's, but they are reconfigurable and can be changed to hash anything at a later date.
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:57:36 AM

+1

i have a large pile of popcorn for that one - although sCRypt is much more durable - and power intensive with relation to the RAM bandwidth -

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
YipYip

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:06:50 AM

As someone who has killed an Alt Coin or two or five with 51% attacks I can see what's happening with FTC and why the LTC community should be very concerned. For all you newbies, the attacks I'm talking about were 2011 early 2012, nothing recent because the current generation of shit coins aren't worth the effort to reconfigure a pool to 51% them.

If you will notice there has been a recent large surge of hashing power on the LTC network categorized as anonymous coming on about the same time as the FTC attack. It's no coincidence. This is very similar to events that occurred in late 2011 early 2012 with the advent of the GPU miners for scrypt that *ALL* the *EXPERTS* in the know said would never work. You know, the same way all the "experts" today keep saying ASIC's for Litecoin is an impossibility... and I mean the exact same people.

Previously during the same time all the experts back then were calling GPU miners for scrypt "nothing but FUD", ArtForz and the Solidcoin guys were building them independently. I actually got a version of AF's scrypt miner very early on. It was rough and very unstable, basically it didn't work and I couldn't get it fixed before the Solidcoin guys released their "reaper". So I had no advantage early on in LTC, but it wasn't for lack of trying Wink

The very same people that truly despised everything LTC back then that created the Scrypt GPU Miner to kill LTC are still around. They've been quietly working on Solidcoin 3 aka Microcash and an ASIC Miner to do to LTC what the GPU Miner failed to do and that was clear the path for the relaunch of Solidcoin 3 aka Microcash. I believe they may indeed have a beta working.

This attack on FTC is a simple warm up for LTC. Keep in mind, any attack that works on FTC will work on LTC.

Buckle up people, it's going to be a wild ride for LTC in the coming weeks.

~BCX~

Yawn .... your a loser..good luck trying to 51% 20 gig network ... this has been tried many many times

OBJECT NOT FOUND
Hydroponica

Activity: 182

fml

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:18:00 AM

As someone who has killed an Alt Coin or two or five with 51% attacks I can see what's happening with FTC and why the LTC community should be very concerned. For all you newbies, the attacks I'm talking about were 2011 early 2012, nothing recent because the current generation of shit coins aren't worth the effort to reconfigure a pool to 51% them.

If you will notice there has been a recent large surge of hashing power on the LTC network categorized as anonymous coming on about the same time as the FTC attack. It's no coincidence. This is very similar to events that occurred in late 2011 early 2012 with the advent of the GPU miners for scrypt that *ALL* the *EXPERTS* in the know said would never work. You know, the same way all the "experts" today keep saying ASIC's for Litecoin is an impossibility... and I mean the exact same people.

Previously during the same time all the experts back then were calling GPU miners for scrypt "nothing but FUD", ArtForz and the Solidcoin guys were building them independently. I actually got a version of AF's scrypt miner very early on. It was rough and very unstable, basically it didn't work and I couldn't get it fixed before the Solidcoin guys released their "reaper". So I had no advantage early on in LTC, but it wasn't for lack of trying Wink

The very same people that truly despised everything LTC back then that created the Scrypt GPU Miner to kill LTC are still around. They've been quietly working on Solidcoin 3 aka Microcash and an ASIC Miner to do to LTC what the GPU Miner failed to do and that was clear the path for the relaunch of Solidcoin 3 aka Microcash. I believe they may indeed have a beta working.

This attack on FTC is a simple warm up for LTC. Keep in mind, any attack that works on FTC will work on LTC.

~BCX~

Yawn .... your a loser..good luck trying to 51% 20 gig network ... this has been tried many many times

+1 As well, if needed, there are many more GH/sec, pointed at other Alt coins right now, that, I'm sure, most miners would divert in a heart beat, to protect LTC. Afterall, LTC falls, they all fall...

erk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:25:06 AM

+1 As well, if needed, there are many more GH/sec, pointed at other Alt coins right now, that, I'm sure, most miners would divert in a heart beat, to protect LTC. Afterall, LTC falls, they all fall...

I don't understand what you mean, LTC is not THE important coin, BTC is. If LTC failed the other coins would go on.
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:28:59 AM

I don't understand what you mean, LTC is not THE important coin, BTC is. If LTC failed the other coins would go on.

BTC, is pretty much impossible to 51% attack. Would take too much $$, to attack it in the first place, and to keep 51% up for any length of time, would cost even more $$
LTC, is the strongest Alt coin, with the most support. It is THE alt coin. If LTC fell, it wouldn't effect BTC at all, but it would kill every Alt coin below it. If LTC could be taken down so easily, with such a large global hashrate, what hope do the smaller coins have? Who would trust them?

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:29:23 AM

One of the largest pool, give-me-ltc, has some very strange miners (e.g hedon, hendo420, besultc, etc...) that have been finding multiple blocks despite the odds and their 'unknown' hash rates vs the top users.

Could it be just a bug in the pool software?  If not, there are some good theories  Wink

a bug i would think it says i found 10 blocks with 2000kh in a week

zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868

ADT developer

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:33:13 AM

BTC, is pretty much impossible to 51% attack. Would take too much $$, to attack it in the first place, and to keep 51% up for any length of time, would cost even more $$
LTC, is the strongest Alt coin, with the most support. It is THE alt coin. If LTC fell, it wouldn't effect BTC at all, but it would kill every Alt coin below it. If LTC could be taken down so easily, with such a large global hashrate, what hope do the smaller coins have? Who would trust them?

with bitcoin thay would be beter off hijacking some of the big mining farms im sure you will find that 50% of te bitcoin network is less than 250 farms it dosent take to much to hack a bunch of unprotected computers

erk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:53:25 AM

There are no alt coins below LTC, they are all beside LTC, one does not depend on the others existence, it's not merge mining.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:00:43 PM

+1 wow I agree with hydro on something.
kelsey
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:02:20 PM

There are no alt coins below LTC, they are all beside LTC, one does not depend on the others existence, it's not merge mining.

seriously they're all below LTC....if LTC fell the rest would be easy picking for whoever was bored enough.
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:03:59 PM

I'm talking in terms of hashpower, and acceptance. LTC is the ruler of the Alt world. Crypto in general, is dependant on reliability, trust.

josiasrdz

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:08:20 PM

If somebody is able to do a 51% attack in ltc all the others scrypt coins are going to get a 51% attack as well

17yN2CQsYGBd3jEcNcWQDua4sViVP7YmC1
Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:13:04 PM

with bitcoin thay would be beter off hijacking some of the big mining farms im sure you will find that 50% of te bitcoin network is less than 250 farms it dosent take to much to hack a bunch of unprotected computers

Yeah, I'm not sure you fully understand the hashing power of BTC...It's like 85 TH/s...With a "T", with more and more being added each day...An attacker would have to match that, and beat it by an extra 1%...And then, he'd have to increase his hashing power, each day, to maintain the attack...We are talking millions of dollars here...

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:19:47 PM

~BCX~

God I love drama.

more or less retired.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: