Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:33:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info Bitcoin Gold, hard fork, and BTC  (Read 6273 times)
2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 08:45:40 PM

Ok, so I use blockchain to store my wallet.

I notice that I'm able to access a hidden away part of my profile on the website to access Bitcoin gold, and I notice my balance of BTC has remained in tact..

It appears that I now own both BTC and bitcoin gold?

This makes sense, because my wallet would contain the same data on both blockchains. Therefore, I'd be able to access the wallet on both blockchains and send or receive from each while not affecting the other.

Am I missing something here? I've been reading about some people saying that blockchain.info will be converting everthing to bitcoin cash, which of course I don't.

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 08:56:41 PM

Why don't you just go by the easy way ?
Download electrum and send your bitcoins to that wallet because you must have access to the private keys of your address that has bitcoins in order to be part of the snapshot.

I notice that I'm able to access a hidden away part of my profile on the website to access Bitcoin gold, and I notice my balance of BTC has remained in tact..
This sounds a bit dramatic that it's a hidden part. If they haven't announced it officially, it doesn't exist.

Bitcoingold clearly stated the following on their website:

Any secure Bitcoin wallet that gives the user exclusive control of the cryptographic private keys is a suitable location to store your coins prior to the October 25 fork. Some wallets may offer you direct access to your BTG, while others may require you to take additional technical steps. Verified wallets that support BTC and BTG side-by-side will be listed on the Bitcoin Gold home page. We will publish guides for retrieving BTG from the most popular wallets, including Bitcoin Core, Electrum, Mycelium, hardware wallets, paper wallets, and more.

https://btcgpu.org/
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:08:30 PM

This makes sense, because my wallet would contain the same data on both blockchains. Therefore, I'd be able to access the wallet on both blockchains and send or receive from each while not affecting the other.

Am I missing something here? I've been reading about some people saying that blockchain.info will be converting everthing to bitcoin cash, which of course I don't.

Sorry, but it seems to me that you have misunderstood something. Or you just didn't explain it well?
How can you see Bitcoin Gold in the blockchain.info wallet when it doesn't exist yet? Maybe you mean Bitcoin Cash (BCH)?
And why would blockchain.info hide that from you?

The truth is that blockchain.info has enabled its users to withdraw or exchange the BCH that they got after the last fork. As far as Bitcoin gold is concerned, we still have to wait for it. They will probably allow us to withdraw that in a similar way.

If you are in a hurry, you can always export your private keys and import them into the Bitcoin gold wallet when it's available.

2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:09:27 PM

Wasn't trying to be dramatic. it is a bit hidden, though.

So, with 6 hours to go, is there anywhere I can look to track what percentage of the network is implementing the 2X?

Piecing together various threads, it's still not clear to me how this is all shaking out.

2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:10:40 PM

I think the main issue here is I'm unclear, and not using the correct terminology. Apologies... I'm trying to sort this out, and am still confused, obviously.

Sorry, but it seems to me that you have misunderstood something. Or you just didn't explain it well?
How can you see Bitcoin Gold in the blockchain.info wallet when it doesn't exist yet? Maybe you mean Bitcoin Cash (BCH)?
And why would blockchain.info hide that from you?

The truth is that blockchain.info has enabled its users to withdraw or exchange the BCH that they got after the last fork. As far as Bitcoin gold is concerned, we still have to wait for it. They will probably allow us to withdraw that in a similar way.

If you are in a hurry, you can always export your private keys and import them into the Bitcoin gold wallet when it's available.

Marry Finch

Activity: 364
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:23:47 PM

In my opinion, everything is possible in our semi-virtual world. Otherwise, how to explain even before the hard fork and the appearance of a coin bitcoin gold officially as a result of a split with an orogenic bitcoin, its trade on the Yobit exchange at a price of 460 dollars? After all, bitcoin gold still does not exist?
Amereum

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:28:12 PM

"A bit hidden"??

You're dealing with very technical people on these forums..
Programmers, web designers, system admins, etc..

If it's hidden take a screenshot and show it to everyone..

Ever heard of "PIC, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Stop trying to sound smarter than everyone here..
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:30:58 PM

"A bit hidden"??

You're dealing with very technical people on these forums..
Programmers, web designers, system admins, etc..

If it's hidden take a screenshot and show it to everyone..

Ever heard of "PIC, OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!"? This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Stop trying to sound smarter than everyone here..

lol ok n00b. Thanks for your valuable input. Your intellect is on par with your # of posts.
Mi5h0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:31:48 PM

I think the main issue here is I'm unclear, and not using the correct terminology. Apologies... I'm trying to sort this out, and am still confused, obviously.

You have an official statement on the blockchain.info blog.
https://blog.blockchain.com/2017/10/12/bitcoin-hardfork-blockchain-wallet/

The short answer is: you do not have to do anything. Blockchain.info will allow you access Bitcoin gold coins when the new network stabilizes. Their priority is the safety of the original Bitcoin blockchain.
But, as I have already mentioned in the previous answer, if you want access to Bitcoin gold right away (once the Bitcoin gold wallet is available) only thing you will need to do is import your private keys into a new wallet. You can do this at any time after the fork, nothing will be lost.

Please note that there are less than 30 blocks left until the snapshot block, so I would not recommend that you start any kind of transfers right now. Transaction may not be confirmed at the time.
Mi5h0

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:37:01 PM

In my opinion, everything is possible in our semi-virtual world. Otherwise, how to explain even before the hard fork and the appearance of a coin bitcoin gold officially as a result of a split with an orogenic bitcoin, its trade on the Yobit exchange at a price of 460 dollars? After all, bitcoin gold still does not exist?

'BTG Futures trading at Yobit'

Do you notice the word 'Futures'? This is a traders term. I am a layman, so better not to explain it. Wink
I will only say that it can be traded with something even if it does not exist if you are sure it will exist in the future ...
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2017, 09:46:20 PM

You have an official statement on the blockchain.info blog.
https://blog.blockchain.com/2017/10/12/bitcoin-hardfork-blockchain-wallet/

The short answer is: you do not have to do anything. Blockchain.info will allow you access Bitcoin gold coins when the new network stabilizes. Their priority is the safety of the original Bitcoin blockchain.
But, as I have already mentioned in the previous answer, if you want access to Bitcoin gold right away (once the Bitcoin gold wallet is available) only thing you will need to do is import your private keys into a new wallet. You can do this at any time after the fork, nothing will be lost.

Please note that there are less than 30 blocks left until the snapshot block, so I would not recommend that you start any kind of transfers right now. Transaction may not be confirmed at the time.

I really just want to make sure my previous balance of BTC is in tact.  Again, I'm still not 100% confident I understand this fork and what the result will be.

Thanks for your thoughtful response.
Digital Mutant

Activity: 420
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 07:12:42 PM

your btc wallet is the same, nothing has changed, btc import is the same (log in and you will see it...)
in the near future blockchain.info will load a quantity of bitcoin gold into your wallet
generally they are not so quick....
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 07:18:47 PM

your btc wallet is the same, nothing has changed, btc import is the same (log in and you will see it...)
in the near future blockchain.info will load a quantity of bitcoin gold into your wallet
generally they are not so quick....

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I appreciate it!  Smiley
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 07:45:56 PM

I really can't believe blockchain.info are going to bother expending time and staff on a bullshit fork that probably isn't going to happen anyway.

Users have a seed. If there is a btg wallet then all they have to do is import it.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 08:01:22 PM

I really can't believe blockchain.info are going to bother expending time and staff on a bullshit fork that probably isn't going to happen anyway.

Users have a seed. If there is a btg wallet then all they have to do is import it.

The more I understand about this SegWit2X hostile takeover attempt, the more I agree with your sentiment.
thearcanebear

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:02:55 PM

https://steemit.com/bitcoin/@thearcanebear/how-to-stay-safe-from-replay-attacks

Useful information to protect your assets from replay attacks during this shift.
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:04:14 PM

Yes after the hard fork you will get free share of bitcoin gold in your wallet and you will be getting both same value of bitcoin gold and bitcoin core. You can click on general from sitting and view the splitting coins. I just converted my free coins from bitcoin cash to bitcoin core in other to enable me get good share of bitcoin gold and even all my altcoins are been converted  to bitcoin core.
Proton2233

Activity: 434
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:11:45 PM

Do you now own btc and the same amount of btg but you can't use at the moment btg. These coins will be in your wallet in a frozen state until there is no confirmation that the codes are different from btg btc mark. This is done so that the transaction could not mix with each other in the network.
berkk

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:08:44 AM

so are we getting bitcoin gold from blockchain.info or not? i guess we wont know until they let us know. Also my btc is in blockchain.info wallet right now, if i switch the over to electrum wallet will i still get the bitcoin gold from blockchain.info ?
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 01:24:27 AM

so are we getting bitcoin gold from blockchain.info or not? i guess we wont know until they let us know. Also my btc is in blockchain.info wallet right now, if i switch the over to electrum wallet will i still get the bitcoin gold from blockchain.info ?

Pretty sure they'll do it just like they did it with Bitcoin Cash, which is they'll automatically make it available to you.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: