Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:55:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you encourage your friends or family to buy BTC?  (Read 1858 times)
zachcope (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:39:25 AM

I'm in BTC for the long haul as it supports a healthier global economy (based on real investment not debt and pension raiding) as well as my own goals to increase my purchasing power and keep my wife happy!

I do accept however that a medium term dollar equivalent (at today's values not including hyperinflation) could be $1000 or $0 with a low (2 digit) dollar value being less likely than $0.

Would you therefore encourage friends or family to speculate on bitcoin? Would you feel bad if they did and bitcoin broke and became worthless? Would you avoid talking about this to avoid this risk?

Just interested in your views on this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:45:42 AM

I recommend them buying just 1 Bitcoin,but I'm not suggesting to invest big in this unless they are also doing other speculative stuff like stocks.
Or for those playing lotto: "it's like a lottery ticket with a better chance of winning"
andrewsg

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:52:37 AM

I wouldn't encourage my family to "speculate" on bitcoin - but I would encourage those in my family with a lot of liquidity and other assets to have a look at it and consider investing a small % of their net worth in bitcoin, as a long term investment, to diversify from all the other asset classes they already own. And I wouldn't feel bad if it went south, after all, they are all adults of sound mind and judgement.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:01:07 AM

I do accept however that a medium term dollar equivalent (at today's values not including hyperinflation) could be $1000 or $0 with a low (2 digit) dollar value being less likely than $0.

How is it possible that a low 2 digit dollar value is less likely than zero.

Why ? Because it needs to pass through the low two digit and single values to get to zero. If this ever happened it would bounce so high multiple times before it ever got to zero.

So if the value ever goes to zero low 2 digit values are 100% guaranteed and so are both low and high single digit values.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:04:40 AM

Why ? Because it needs to pass through the low two digit and single values to get to zero. If this ever happened it would bounce so high multiple times before it ever got to zero.

So if the value ever goes to zero low 2 digit values are 100% guaranteed and so are both low and high single digit values.

If its worth $X and something happens to make it worth $0, who will be paying $2 for it to go to $2 "on the way"? ...

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
BitSmile

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:11:57 AM

My mother has a 5BTC cold wallet, bought at ~30$.

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:35:51 AM

If its worth $X and something happens to make it worth $0, who will be paying $2 for it to go to $2 "on the way"? ...

Many people will trade it all the way down to zero. And I believe pretty much any problem could be fixed given time.

People closing shorts springs to mind.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:38:08 AM

I bought 100BTC for my dad when the exchange rate was $20.

Those are in a paper wallet and will not be moved for at least 5 years.

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:54:14 AM

I would only recommend Bitcoin to family if they wanted to come in and make a quick buck.  Otherwise, I'd recommend something with a better shot at long term viability and worldwide adoption, like Ripple.  In fact, that's exactly what I do.   Wink

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:54:54 AM

I would only recommend Bitcoin to family if they wanted to come in a make a quick buck.  Otherwise, I'd recommend something with a better shot at long term viability and worldwide adoption, like Ripple.

LOL Cheesy

crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:24:20 PM

I'm not sure $0 Bitcoin is likely.  Imagine the worst case scenario, where you can no longer buy *anything* with Bitcoin:  
I, for one, would gladly spend $10 to buy up the world's supply of Bitcoin, simply to be able to say that i own something once worth billions of dollars, an intangible, improbable & counterintuitive thing which trolled the financial sector like a boss, the purely digital entity on which so many hopes & dreams drove, throttle floored, into oblivion.

I'd also buy up some (at that point, 100% useless) ASICs -- simply because i love defunct tech -- and mine.  I once restored a 1943 microwave spectrum analyzer.  Was a huge chunk of rack gear, with a waveguide sticking out of the side.  I had 0 use for it, and 0 plans for reselling it.  I just dug it.  

TL;DR:  Bitcoin's too neat to die.
lucas.sev

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:38:28 PM

I'm not sure $0 Bitcoin is likely.  Imagine the worst case scenario, where you can no longer buy *anything* with Bitcoin:  
I, for one, would gladly spend $10 to buy up the world's supply of Bitcoin, simply to be able to say that i own something once worth billions of dollars, an intangible, improbable & counterintuitive thing which trolled the financial sector like a boss, the purely digital entity on which so many hopes & dreams drove, throttle floored, into oblivion.

I'd also buy up some (at that point, 100% useless) ASICs -- simply because i love defunct tech -- and mine.  I once restored a 1943 microwave spectrum analyzer.  Was a huge chunk of rack gear, with a waveguide sticking out of the side.  I had 0 use for it, and 0 plans for reselling it.  I just dug it.  

I like how you did not mention the S word.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:26:40 PM

I like how you did not mention the S word.

I'm honestly* not invested, one way or another.  You think i'm spreading /-elmer -d?

*You have no reason to believe me Smiley
zachcope (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 05:52:08 PM

I would only recommend Bitcoin to family if they wanted to come in and make a quick buck.  Otherwise, I'd recommend something with a better shot at long term viability and worldwide adoption, like Ripple.  In fact, that's exactly what I do.   Wink
Fortunately I'm not in the Ewing family so wouldn't shaft my family with that ripple crap.
 Kiss

Re ripple, if Bitcoin can make anyone a banker, Ripple can turn anyone into a loan shark.

zachcope (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 05:53:58 PM

Fair enough you've changed my mind.
I meant to say 'Crash or to the Moon'.
It would also never be $10 for the world's supply, as I would buy it at $11 for the lulz.   Tongue

KSV

Activity: 398

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 05:54:45 PM

most definitely, already did so.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:23:34 PM

most definitely, already did so.

I encourage them to be aware of it and then make their own decisions.  After enough time learning about Bitcoin's fundamentals and brief (yet resilent) history - it seems like an asset to at least have some of in a portfolio.
MonadTran

Activity: 181

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:27:44 PM

I tell people the facts when it is appropriate and would not ruin the conversation. I tell people about my own decisions. They make their own decisions after that.
XXthetimeisnowXX

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:33:45 PM

YES AND ALL FOUR WHO TOOK THE ADVICE HAS MADE MONEY.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:35:19 PM

Told them repeatedly last summer around $5, noone listened.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: