Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 06:32:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5850 - now sounds like a jet after a power outage...  (Read 2178 times)
hotwired007 (OP)

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:19:25 PM

my mining rig - 1x 5870, 1x 5850 and 2 USB Block exploders got hard powered off this morning when the toaster tripped the house power :S

after bring it back online the fan on teh 5850 now sounds like a leaf blower - its an ASUS HD 5850 - its it worth replacing the fan? 

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
melmo

Activity: 213
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:01:16 PM

my mining rig - 1x 5870, 1x 5850 and 2 USB Block exploders got hard powered off this morning when the toaster tripped the house power :S

after bring it back online the fan on teh 5850 now sounds like a leaf blower - its an ASUS HD 5850 - its it worth replacing the fan? 

I would fix it, even if it's just to resell it.  I've bought several of these (if your 5850 uses reference-style cooling):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/75mm-ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-4890-5850-5870-Fan-Replacement-37mm-4Pin-PVB070G12H-1-0A-/181083072126?pt=US_Video_Card_GPU_Cooling&hash=item2a2964667e
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:05:44 PM

yeah its reference Smiley

the card still runs fine so is it it worth replacing then?

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
deslok

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

It's all about the game, and how you play it

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:33:49 PM

if the card is fine a fan is cheap, i'd be suspect of the card without a through test though I know I lost one during a power outage the entire board was discolored slightly, it would still boot but got hot and loud quick.

"If we don't hang together, by Heavens we shall hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

If you found that funny or something i said useful i always appreciate spare change
1PczDQHfEj3dJgp6wN3CXPft1bGB23TzTM
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:35:59 PM

if the card is fine a fan is cheap, i'd be suspect of the card without a through test though I know I lost one during a power outage the entire board was discolored slightly, it would still boot but got hot and loud quick.

its mining happily atm

the whole rig has surge protectors and i'm considering adding a UPS into the mix too

MashRinx

Activity: 389

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:03:11 PM

its mining happily atm

the whole rig has surge protectors and i'm considering adding a UPS into the mix too

If it's mining fine, did it just get kicked into a higher fan speed % than what it was running at previously?  I have a couple reference cards that are LOUD at 100%.  maybe try restarting your miner manually setting the gpu-fan to something manually, if you haven't tried that already?

example:  --gpu-fan 75
melmo

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:33:10 PM

From my experience, once they start making a lot of noise, it's only a matter of time before the fan seizes.

Any chance you're running the fan at 100% now and you weren't previously?
Zanatos666

Activity: 280

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:02:44 PM

From my experience, once they start making a lot of noise, it's only a matter of time before the fan seizes.

Any chance you're running the fan at 100% now and you weren't previously?

Yeah, I have blown two 5830's and a 5870 because of running fans to high.  Currently I have one 5830 being cooled with a zip tied on 92mm delta (nice noise from that) and my other cards are watercooled.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:13:42 AM

fan runs at 80% i believe - Afterburner has a custon fan control on it to keep all the cards below 70 although i am switchign to an open air rig in the next week or so, so hopefully i wont need the custom control and i'll revert to 'automatic'

i have a couple of 120mm deltas that i plan on using in the 'summer' Wink (in the UK - so summer is a loose description for a couple of warmer than normal weeks Wink)

melmo

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:47:14 PM

fan runs at 80% i believe - Afterburner has a custon fan control on it to keep all the cards below 70 although i am switchign to an open air rig in the next week or so, so hopefully i wont need the custom control and i'll revert to 'automatic'

i have a couple of 120mm deltas that i plan on using in the 'summer' Wink (in the UK - so summer is a loose description for a couple of warmer than normal weeks Wink)

Hmm, 80% isn't too bad, it can be loud, but not leaf blower loud.  I'd look into obtaining a replacement fan, or an aftermarket cooler (locally I've seen seen Arctic coolers for 5850's going for about $20).  I'm not sure how well a 120mm delta will cool an reference-style card unless you take off the shroud and strap a couple onto the heatsink, that actually may work pretty well Smiley
hotwired007 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:16:44 PM

Hmm, 80% isn't too bad, it can be loud, but not leaf blower loud.  I'd look into obtaining a replacement fan, or an aftermarket cooler (locally I've seen seen Arctic coolers for 5850's going for about $20).  I'm not sure how well a 120mm delta will cool an reference-style card unless you take off the shroud and strap a couple onto the heatsink, that actually may work pretty well Smiley

i was going to use it to pump air into the case but as i'm adding an additional card on risers and having two 220mm fans to blow onto/into the system they may well end up being redundant - my office is 10x6 and i have a small airconditioning unit that i may use but obvously running that 24/7 will increase my operating expenses Wink

i ahve just checked and in the middle of the day the GPUs are at 83 and fans are at 100% Sad

open case will have to be finished this week or i'll have to dial down my GPUs

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: