Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:33:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes Mining Bitcoins  (Read 8488 times)
manuelcc (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 05:52:32 PM

Somebody can help me about the taxes mining Bitcoins in Canada and USA. Taxes to import the hardware, income tax,  etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:10:43 PM

Can't speak to Canada.

In the USA, IRS rulings are that Bitcoin mined does not become taxable 'till you either sell it for cash or spend it on "tangible property" at which point it becomes taxable at the cash value of the amount of Bitcoin you spent.

There's a lot more verbage involved, but that's the short-form basic information you need.

I suspect state and local income taxes (where applicable) have to follow the IRS rulings on the subject.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 04:05:48 AM

Quint can you cite this ruling?

The last position I saw the IRS taking was that you were required to recognize mined bitcoin as income when it was generated and then take a capital gain / loss when selling.
P4ndoraBox

Activity: 710
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 04:08:10 AM

Im glad to live in Canada because our retarded Justin Trudeau doesnt even know what is bitcoin and we have not, or few, laws concerning cryptocurrencies.

Plus, canada has.cheap electricity. Thats why im trading and investing all my profiits into mining.
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:14:43 AM

The last position I saw the IRS taking was that you were required to recognize mined bitcoin as income when it was generated and then take a capital gain / loss when selling.
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Tax_compliance#U.S.
"The IRS also clarified that mining is treated as immediate income at the fair or market value of those mined coins on their date of receipt."

But as the page mentions below, how is the value of Altcoins supposed to be determined when there aren't direct alt/FIAT pairs in exchanges?
This whole IRS & mining seems like a grey area to me. Just pay your capital gains taxes when converting to USD.
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:41:30 AM

Somebody can help me about the taxes mining Bitcoins in Canada and USA. Taxes to import the hardware, income tax,  etc.

There is local taxes only for using bitcoins and there is no information that IRS regulated taxes on bitcoin mining separately. We don't need to pay anything apart from that. US government treated bitcoin and other digital currency as a property for US federal tax purposes bro.
Adam Bergman is a tax partner with IRA Financial Group and president of IRA Financial Trust Company. Contact them more information.

Svener

Activity: 502
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:47:44 PM

There is local taxes only for using bitcoins and there is no information that IRS regulated taxes on bitcoin mining separately. We don't need to pay anything apart from that. US government treated bitcoin and other digital currency as a property for US federal tax purposes bro.
Adam Bergman is a tax partner with IRA Financial Group and president of IRA Financial Trust Company. Contact them more information.

There is no taxation on bitcoin only the transaction costs.The bitcoin mining is fully anonymous no government can intrude here,you don't need to worry about taxes.The hardware needed for mining is just powerful system so yiu just have to pay the costs for transportation.Maybe in future there might be taxes on bitcoin if someone regulate it.
BitcoinPlatinum

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:02:33 PM

Can't speak to Canada.

In the USA, IRS rulings are that Bitcoin mined does not become taxable 'till you either sell it for cash or spend it on "tangible property" at which point it becomes taxable at the cash value of the amount of Bitcoin you spent.

There's a lot more verbage involved, but that's the short-form basic information you need.

I suspect state and local income taxes (where applicable) have to follow the IRS rulings on the subject.

This in a nutshell .
There is no taxation on bitcoin only the transaction costs.The bitcoin mining is fully anonymous no government can intrude here,you don't need to worry about taxes.The hardware needed for mining is just powerful system so yiu just have to pay the costs for transportation.Maybe in future there might be taxes on bitcoin if someone regulate it.
dificanovi

Activity: 812
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:53:55 PM

Can't speak to Canada.

in my country also not taxed in mined bitcoin, which I know mined bitcoin indeed there is no taxation regulation about it. but we will be charged when selling the bitcoin.

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 07:41:20 PM

"The IRS also clarified that mining is treated as immediate income at the fair or market value of those mined coins on their date of receipt."

But as the page mentions below, how is the value of Altcoins supposed to be determined when there aren't direct alt/FIAT pairs in exchanges?
This whole IRS & mining seems like a grey area to me. Just pay your capital gains taxes when converting to USD.

They seem to have radically changed their position since the last I saw.
 This ruling makes dealing with mining income a NIGHTMARE - how the heck do you know which date you "mined those coins" on and WHICH price during that date are you supposed to use?

I know that the IRS is a bureaucracy and loves their paperwork, but this is INSANE even by their standards.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
hurain

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 11:43:36 PM

Im glad to live in Canada because our retarded Justin Trudeau doesnt even know what is bitcoin and we have not, or few, laws concerning cryptocurrencies.

Plus, canada has.cheap electricity. Thats why im trading and investing all my profiits into mining.
It is the good luck of yours that you are living in Canada where the electricity is so cheap and I think mining will more profitable in your country as compare to other countries so keep you job continue to get more and more profit from it .
Entropy-uc

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:51:49 AM

They seem to have radically changed their position since the last I saw.
 This ruling makes dealing with mining income a NIGHTMARE - how the heck do you know which date you "mined those coins" on and WHICH price during that date are you supposed to use?

I know that the IRS is a bureaucracy and loves their paperwork, but this is INSANE even by their standards.

Yes it is, and it exposes you to paying taxes on earnings that no longer exist if bitcoin goes down. 

Judging by the recent lawsuits against Coinbase, it seems that the IRS is very interested in auditing bitcoin miners.  I would get your numbers in order...
BeerMan81

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 02:59:52 AM

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance

Lots of new content coming soon! - https://www.youtube.com/BeerMan81
All-in-one dashboard to monitor coin prices, wallet balances, and your ming pools. Free!
https://mycryptostats.com/?ref=f1440f27
trinitrate

Activity: 46

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 01:08:11 AM

I am keeping the transaction emails from coinbase when mining deposits hit my account and using that as the cost basis for each mining payment.    Not perfect but it will work.

My understanding is that since the process is a bit immature, the IRS is using some discretion with how people calculate their cost basis / fair market value, but they'll expect you to be consistent.  I.e. if you cant cherry pick exchange rates from different exchanges or times to help you setup a better cost basis. My advice would be to start a very thorough spreadsheet to track your income if you plan on making more than a grand per year.

ryanyulinruan

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Just another Canadian Cryptocurrency enthusiast!

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:33:34 AM

As a Canadian living in Ontario, I have been mining bitcoins and altcoins for some time and do not pay taxes on the bitcoin that I mined. But that's mainly because I don't sell.
However, from what I heard, if you are a business and accept bitcoin, you have to report it. If you mined bitcoin and sold it, it counts as capital gain.

Donate BTC here: 1MW9aJeXcVygR93zGrCrBAqaAZLoVSd9z
franco123

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 12:49:08 PM

Can't speak to Canada.

Yes. And actually you can only be taxed if you also declare your Bitcoin earning (specifically when you sell it), if you declare it as part of your personal income in a specific quarter or year. However, most of the Bitcoin traders or miners do not declare it as it is not really regulated to their country. In the future maybe the government will become strict on declaring this. They might even impose a special tax for Bitcoin activities. This is because the government  will not let itself get behind with the Bitcoin success and money return.
frank175

Activity: 7

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 01:07:30 PM

In Europe you have to pay income tax.
gilangIDR
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 02:56:05 PM

It is the good luck of yours that you are living in Canada where the electricity is so cheap and I think mining will more profitable in your country as compare to other countries so keep you job continue to get more and more profit from it .
Getting cheap electricity costs would be a plus value that is very helpful. Electricity is one of the biggest costs in mining, so if we can save electricity costs we will be able to lower overall mining costs. Until now there may be some countries that apply the same thing. But until now I still have not found a mine that requires to pay taxes.
lgbtcoin

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:46:55 PM

Why tax when the cost is already there in the form of hardware and electricity?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:20:27 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2017, 11:31:58 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Why tax when the cost is already there in the form of hardware and electricity?
Really Huh
If you or a company is making income by mining - or any other means - how naive/young are you that you would you be surprised that a government will not want their part of it? Rule of Life: You make money, you pay taxes on it.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: