Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:10:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Our $1 trillion chance  (Read 1661 times)
bernard75 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:41:17 PM

In days, governments will discuss whether to plug a gigantic $1 trillion per year corporate tax loophole - enough money to end poverty, put every child in school, and double green investment! Most governments want powerful multinationals to pay these taxes, but the US and Canada are on the fence. To get a deal, we need them to feel the pressure.

$1 trillion is more than every country combined spends on their military. It's bigger than the budgets of 176 nations. It's $1000 each for every family on the planet. And believe it or not, it's the amount that our largest corporations and wealthiest individuals evade each year in taxes.

This should be a no-brainer. To massively boost our public finances in a time of painful cuts and debt, all we need to do is ensure that everyone pays the taxes they're supposed to. But big US corporations are fiercely lobbying to protect their dodgy practices. A massive public campaign will help identify and hold accountable the two leaders - President Obama and Prime Minister Harper, who are considering siding with corruption over this gigantic step forward for the planet. For the sake of almost every issue we care about, let's make sure they feel the heat!

Please sign and tell your friends:
http://www.avaaz.org/en/g8_tax_havens_r
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:46:15 PM

You do realise that the reason everyone's poor isn't because of tax loopholes right? Fixing these problems is pointless if no one bothers to acknowledge that the paper money system is completely useless, I can't help but pity people who think like this Sad.
bernard75 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:52:11 PM

So you are saying it ok large corporations get away with it?
Why not take one step at a time?
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 06:54:30 PM

I'm saying that the problem runs deeper than large corporations, but if you want to think like that and get annoyed at others for thinking differently go ahead.
bernard75 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:57:21 PM

but if you want to think like that and get annoyed at others for thinking differently go ahead.
you mean like that?
I can't help but pity people who think like this Sad.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 09:22:05 PM

Pity and annoyance are two different things, I pity you because even if the tax loopholes did get closed the dollar would get so undervalued that trillion you're talking about would be worthless, go and study about inflation and the way central banks steal our wealth before you decide to go into tax the rich troll mode on me, you don't even seem to realise how the economy works. If you got your trillion all that would happen is the central banks would print more, devalue it and then force you to sell off your valuables to them at a massive discount.

This type of thing is the whole reason that a currency like Bitcoin was invented and why the gap between the rich and poor exists on such a massive scale.
bernard75 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

First you pity me, then you accuse me without basis of not accepting other opinions, the exact thing you did btw, and now i need to study to ascend to your enlightened plane of existence.
Swimmer63
Legendary

Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:51:41 PM

I'm not for corporation's keeping it, although it probably is creating some jobs. 
But I'm also not for handing it over to the government where maybe $.10 of every dollar would get to the poor and the rest would be eaten by the insatiable Washington machine.  That's all they need is more money to blow on growing themselves.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:16:32 PM

Going from his last post I doubt he's going to listen Tongue
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:33:14 PM

If there is one thing governments need is...more money.

Roll Eyes

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
btc4ever

Activity: 321
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:36:49 PM

to the OP, good luck with that.    If you somehow manage to plug that hole, don't be surprised when another leak occurs, and another.    Unless and until governments and central bankers are obliged by competitive forces to use a currency they cannot directly control.

oh, and if you really want to accomplish those goals you speak of, try freedom, not taxation.

hint:  heavy taxation has existed throughout history.  think: feudalism.  Periods of greatest prosperity and innovation have coincided with greatest freedom and lowest taxation.

iow, get a clue.

Psst!!  Wanna make bitcoin unstoppable? Why the Only Real Way to Buy Bitcoins Is on the Streets. Avoid banks and centralized exchanges.   Buy/Sell coins locally.  Meet other bitcoiners and develop your network.   Try localbitcoins.com or find or start a buttonwood / satoshi square in your area.  Pass it on!
Anenome5

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

This should be a no-brainer. To massively boost our public finances in a time of painful cuts and debt, all we need to do is ensure that everyone pays the taxes they're supposed to.
That's fine, fine. But I also contend that the amount of taxes one is supposed to pay, in terms of ethical considerations, is zero taxes. Just like one is not -supposed- to pay a robber holding a gun on you. One does it to avoid worst aggressions against their person, not because they have a moral obligation to do so. Quite the reverse, the moral obligation is on the robber not to rob you.

Democracy is the original 51% attack.
asdf

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:17:35 AM

Have you considered the consequences of draining an extra trillion $ out of the economy?

Have you considered that the government largely causes poverty, is terrible at educating children and is the most environmentally destructive force on the planet?
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:01:39 AM

Is money important or are the things that are produced important?  How much does the government contribute towards our well-being?

You only need to look around your house, down at the local supermarket etc and ask the question, how much of this was produced by the government?

Government is an inefficient black hole for money.  Very little of substance is actually produced by them.   Throwing more money at the politicians will just see more capital wasted and more people worse off.

Are we going to get the government to produce food for everyone?  Like in the Soviet Union?
bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:07:34 PM

Have you considered that the government largely causes poverty, is terrible at educating children and is the most environmentally destructive force on the planet?

Giving the government more money doesn't fix anything. The reason the corporations are able to "evade" these taxes is because the government wrote the tax code that way. Its real easy to pay almost no taxes if you can hire enough accounts and lawyers to find the loopholes. Joe Six Pack who files his taxes with turbo tax is the one getting screwed.

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
kodo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:14:54 PM

Wow 1 trillion $ is a lot of money entrusted in old men.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:20:58 PM

I would love to see a website explaining how normal people can use these loopholes to avoid taxes. If regular Americans began using them they would go away overnight. Let's face it, avoiding taxes has become a privilege of the rich. It's shameful, immoral, and increasingly I think people should consider not participating in it.   

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitzox

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 06:59:37 PM

I would love to see a website explaining how normal people can use these loopholes to avoid taxes. If regular Americans began using them they would go away overnight. Let's face it, avoiding taxes has become a privilege of the rich. It's shameful, immoral, and increasingly I think people should consider not participating in it.   

Its a great idea but a lot of the loopholes fall into the "it takes money to make money" category. If you cant afford to set up a shell corporation in Ireland and transfer all your assets over their while using another shell corporation that is domestically listed to hold your loses, you're going to have a tough time exploiting loopholes.

But I'm sure their are other smaller ones that the average Joe could take advantage of, my level of tax expertise is just too lacking to come up with them. When in doubt just claim a few imaginary kids  Cool

18QpV8ZF3Y4oK8guDQiwTAK73W9r5nvBtm
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:23:41 PM

So you are saying it ok large corporations get away with it?
Why not take one step at a time?

The government is what protects corporations and monopolies.  What makes you believe they'd have anyone else's interests in mind?

Jugol

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:46:13 PM

I see. The government with such a great record of their budget, wants more taxes to spend.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: