Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:28:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon 741, power source  (Read 430 times)
2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 09:12:51 PM

I am curious what requires there are for power at the wall.

My two 741's which I have coming require 2x650W each, so 4 total.

How would I go about crunching the numbers to determine how I should be connecting this to power at the wall?

I appreciate your input...
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:59:46 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 10:07:14 PM by Steamtyme

Hi there not 100% sure of what you need to know. Do you already have the PSU's have you considered buying 1 PSU to power each Avalon, or like i did a large enough PSU on 220v to power 2 Avalon 741's.

If you have and are set on using 2 PSU's per miner, you just have to make sure your circuit is sized appropriately. the Avalons take 1150W so at 110 Volt you need approximately 10.45 amps per miner.

So you would need 2 15 amp 110V circuits to run your 2 Avalons, as you currently have planned.

If you run off a 220V circuit you can run 1 circuit I would say a 30 amp circuit with a 30 amp receptacle; in case you double your miner load in the near future. Pick up a PSU to power both Miners; I use Amitylabs from Ebay, but there are quite a few Miner specific Power Supply providers mentioned in the threads. This way if you upgrade in the future you can buy a PDU and pick up another PSU, without any additional wiring.

For electrical calculations W=V * A, or ask an electrician friend lol, they are good to have.

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 10:06:02 PM

Hi theer not 100% sure of what you need to know. Do you already have the PSU's have you considered buying 1 PSU to power each Avalon, or like i did a large enough PSU on 220v to power 2 Avalon 741's.

If you have and are set on using 2 PSU's per miner, you just have to make sure your circuit is sized appropriately. the Avalons take 1150W so at 110 Volt you need approximately 10.45 amps per miner.

So you would need 2 15 amp 110V circuits to run your 2 Avalons, as you currently have planned.

If you run off a 220V circuit you can run 1 circuit I would say a 30 amp circuit with a 30 amp receptacle; in case you double your miner load in the near future. Pick up a PSU to power both Miners; I use Amitylabs from Ebay, but there are quite a few Miner specific Power Supply providers mentioned in the threads. This way if you upgrade in the future you can buy a PDU and pick up another PSU, without any additional wiring.

For electrical calculations W=V * A, or ask an electrician friend lol, they are good to have.

What I'm trying to determine is if I can run both of these off one power source, or if I need two power outlets.

I have purchased 2 650w PS for each, so 4 total.

I just don't want to risk a fire or overloading the power strip surge protector.

I am not an electrician.
Steamtyme
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 2036

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 10:21:44 PM

You can in a way.

I don't know all the ways to make this work, but you will need a 30 amp breaker on the circuit you plan to use, unless you have 2 controllers 1 for each Avalon and plan to set them up on different circuits.

This 30 amp line can then be run to a single 30 amp receptacle. here's the type of receptacle

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-30-Amp-125-Volt-3-Wire-Locking-Single-Outlet-Black-R50-02610-0CS/300861633

Then you would get a PDU like this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compaq-24-Amp-Power-Distribution-Unit-PDU-Low-Voltage-PDUC30a-295364-001/263255393782?hash=item3d4b3e85f6:g:jLMAAOSwFYxZ2~Xp

So it goes 30 amp breaker- I think 12 gauge wire 12/2 should suffice (again not an electrician), 30 amp receptacle, PDU. Then you can plug your Power supply units into the PDU and run them in the same location.

Odds are you do not have a single pole 30 amp breaker in your panel, so you probably need an electrician to wire this in for you.

If you can not make the above happen, then you would need two outlets that are on a different circuit. ( this means a different electrical line coming out of your home panel). If you have the panel space, you can run 2 15 amp circuits out of your panel to your mining location and put 1 receptacle on each circuit, this would allow you to run with what you have on hand.

What are your options where you plan to set up your miners as far as different locations with different electrical circuits??

Hope this helps

░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
Ripmixer
░░░░░▄▄██████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀█
███░░░▄██████▄▄░░░██
░░░░░█████████░░░░██▌
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░█████████████████
░░░░░████████████████
███▄░░▀██████▀░░░███
█▀█▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄███
░░▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
░░░░░▀▀██████▀▀
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 01:39:38 AM

Thanks for your thoughtful response.

I have a small shop that's 8x10 I will be running them in, but I haven't installed a circuit breaker panel on it yet. I currently just have a 50' extension cord running out there. Its unfortunate but really my only option right now. Its plugged into a wall outlet that I believe is a 15 amp breaker... Without doing anything drastic, my only other option is to run two 50' extension cords.

Embarrassed

You can in a way.

I don't know all the ways to make this work, but you will need a 30 amp breaker on the circuit you plan to use, unless you have 2 controllers 1 for each Avalon and plan to set them up on different circuits.

This 30 amp line can then be run to a single 30 amp receptacle. here's the type of receptacle

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-30-Amp-125-Volt-3-Wire-Locking-Single-Outlet-Black-R50-02610-0CS/300861633

Then you would get a PDU like this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compaq-24-Amp-Power-Distribution-Unit-PDU-Low-Voltage-PDUC30a-295364-001/263255393782?hash=item3d4b3e85f6:g:jLMAAOSwFYxZ2~Xp

So it goes 30 amp breaker- I think 12 gauge wire 12/2 should suffice (again not an electrician), 30 amp receptacle, PDU. Then you can plug your Power supply units into the PDU and run them in the same location.

Odds are you do not have a single pole 30 amp breaker in your panel, so you probably need an electrician to wire this in for you.

If you can not make the above happen, then you would need two outlets that are on a different circuit. ( this means a different electrical line coming out of your home panel). If you have the panel space, you can run 2 15 amp circuits out of your panel to your mining location and put 1 receptacle on each circuit, this would allow you to run with what you have on hand.

What are your options where you plan to set up your miners as far as different locations with different electrical circuits??

Hope this helps
T-Gee05

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 02:43:00 AM

I have a small shop that's 8x10 I will be running them in, but I haven't installed a circuit breaker panel on it yet. I currently just have a 50' extension cord running out there. Its unfortunate but really my only option right now. Its plugged into a wall outlet that I believe is a 15 amp breaker... Without doing anything drastic, my only other option is to run two 50' extension cords.

Embarrassed

Just better be sure you got the right wire size on that extension cords. There are extension cords with thick cables but that is just insulation, and it has small wire size. the wire size should be GA12.
2tights (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 03:56:29 AM

Embarrassed

Just better be sure you got the right wire size on that extension cords. There are extension cords with thick cables but that is just insulation, and it has small wire size. the wire size should be GA12.

10-4. Thanks for your thoughtful response.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: