Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 05:00:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very odd networking issue. Rigs take down internet??  (Read 367 times)
siforek (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:44:57 PM

I've been having internet issues for about a month at my home where I have a few rigs. They're connected to a Netgear GS108 switch that's connected to an ASUS AC3100 router, to fiber optic service. Randomly my internet light/connectivity will go off & it requires a reboot before it comes back online, as do my rigs & for a while now I assumed it was my ISP or the router(replaced many times) but today I noticed that after I powered down my rigs the internet light came back.

I'm fairly savvy but I'll admit I'm not a total networking master, but to me this seems very strange & I'm desperate for help on this one. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:10:05 AM

Power up your Rig one by one and monitor the specific rig that causes the problem (internet disconnection)

If you found one, unplug and clean the ethernet cable then try it again. if fails try to replace that ethernet cable.

The possible reason of your intermittent internet is a shorted ethernet cable thru RJ45.

Dont forget to check the connection from switch to router.

If this solves your problem you can donate to my eth address

0x00a039c13dE7E071C68ad48088beC775dCb83f35

or

Give me a simple trust rating, Thank you  Wink

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:51:51 AM

It's the switch or router.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:53:21 AM

It's the switch or router.

This ^^

EDIT: Looking at the models my money is on the problem being with the switch.
SodiumEx

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:54:17 AM

I'm almost positive it's the switch.. I had net gear and had similar issue.. God I dislike them once you overload them
Mrk57

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:34:13 AM

It' s the switch. Try to replace it with smth else)
siforek (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 01:42:59 PM

These guys are having the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/6xkau1/simplemining_os_with_5_or_6_gtx_1070s_makes/

I put PiMP on my rigs yesterday & tried that, sure enough this morning the internet was down. I would absolutely love if it were the switch but idk what to replace it with(3rd switch, then again all were netgear)

I'll keep trying different setups but am worried that it's the ASRock H110 mobo with 13 cards connected that's somehow causing the issue..

On the topic of helpful donations I'll gladly send anyone a grip of coin for a solid solution since I'm easily losing $30/day cause of this:/
Basmic

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 02:08:17 PM

Perhaps you squander the line voltage and power supply cannot issue necessary for the stable operation voltage. Run a program such as Aida and check the voltage drop. If the power supply everything is fine can install a network card and try to work on it. Perhaps you have a problem with the network card on the motherboard.
hardworker27

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 02:56:22 PM

Which OS are you using? ethOS?
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 03:29:14 PM

Once you go past a certain number of rigs it is time to leave the land of home gear and move up a notch. You can get used commercial gear pretty cheap off Ebay and other sites, such as this Cisco switch for $35  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catalyst-3560-PoE-48-Port-Switch-WS-C3560-48PS-S/372011999665?hash=item569da4a1b1:g:LuEAAOSwkLhZ6nVe

You can also pick up a gigabit capable switch for a little more (~$100), but for miners 100 mbps is plenty.

The main thing with smaller SOHO switches and routers is that even though they can handle the bandwidth, they often cannot handle a high packet rate. A packet needs to be processed regardless if it is a small packet (50 bytes) or a large packet (1500 bytes). Mining typically does not consume much bandwidth as the communication between your miner and the pool uses small packets most of the time, but depending on how many miners you have and the algorithm you are running, you can have lots of packets flowing across your network with very little bandwidth usage. This still can cause stress on home grade equipment as they design it around a typical home usage model.

Now granted this usually does not come into play until you are running a sizable number of miners, but still for the price you might as well invest in equipment that was designed for such usage.
hardworker27

Activity: 58

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 04:00:04 PM

I used to get internet problem while mining too. I was using ethOS at that time. The tx/rx were very high, the whole internet of my home went down, froze. I was hacked. The only solution then is to reimage my ethos ssd, restart modem, router, switch. Then the internet is back to normal. You seem having the same problem. Try to clear virus on your ssd or reimage it.
siforek (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 11:06:45 PM

I used to get internet problem while mining too. I was using ethOS at that time. The tx/rx were very high, the whole internet of my home went down, froze. I was hacked. The only solution then is to reimage my ethos ssd, restart modem, router, switch. Then the internet is back to normal. You seem having the same problem. Try to clear virus on your ssd or reimage it.

Lol It's not a virus. I started having this problem with 3 rigs on SimpleMining. Last night I switched them to PiMP, same issue. I'm really hoping it's the switch & it seems to make sense that the high # of packets would cause this regardless of OS as each rig has 13 GPUs so I am submitting a larger number of shares.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: