Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:56:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do for Nov 2017 hard fork.  (Read 5235 times)
amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:14:39 PM

then what do you suggest mate? if someone has funds on electrum?
Are you blind? Is my signature visible?

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:38:34 PM

I've got some dollars sitting in my domain name registrar account, and I can withdraw those in Bitcoin. I'm still undecided as to whether I should pull them out now, or wait until the forking nonsense has subsided. It seems that a lot of people have been buying Bitcoin in the expectation of another free handout as an alt coin is created.
You can send the money out right now if you don't fear just the price drop or anything else, don't worry create a wallet and send the money to it and save your
private keys, during the fork do not do anything simply and you'll be safe.

Some wallets provider: Electrum, blockchain.info (online wallet)
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 06:17:17 PM

then what do you suggest mate? if someone has funds on electrum?
Are you blind? Is my signature visible?
That commit was reverted: https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/commit/98c0af58c29efbecba25818adb5531fa8c3d0506 so that is no longer a viable method.

amaclin1

Activity: 770
Merit: 305

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 07:37:16 PM

That commit was reverted: https://github.com/btc1/bitcoin/commit/98c0af58c29efbecba25818adb5531fa8c3d0506 so that is no longer a viable method.
oups... 
thank you.

Bitcoin SV GUI client for Windows and Linux
https://github.com/AlisterMaclin/bitcoin-sv/releases
cryptoDARO

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 07:41:59 PM

Selling some of your BTC before hard-fork may be a wise decision. After hard-fork we may see a lot of confusion and price drop.
Not sure if altcoins will gain some strength there or not
lottoken@lottoken.org

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:12:37 AM

I got an email from my BTC broker that I have to do nothing. Just wait and they will drop the new coins in my wallet automatically. I'm thinking this is like a stock split. Just wait it out. Don't sell just because of the noise.
pinoyden

Activity: 756
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 02:17:48 AM

Selling some of your BTC before hard-fork may be a wise decision. After hard-fork we may see a lot of confusion and price drop.

i believe most people will not sell thier bitcoins before the fork rather they are still buying and stocking up more bitcoins in order to take advantage of the free forked coins and probably they will be dumping both of thier forked coins and bitcoins after the november fork has been established and definitely this
event will result to a great price drop but still its a win win situation because we will have an oppurtunity to buy bitcoins again in a cheap price.
thinair

Activity: 28

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 04:09:25 PM

i believe most people will not sell thier bitcoins before the fork rather they are still buying and stocking up more bitcoins in order to take advantage of the free forked coins and probably they will be dumping both of thier forked coins and bitcoins after the november fork has been established and definitely this
event will result to a great price drop but still its a win win situation because we will have an oppurtunity to buy bitcoins again in a cheap price.
A hard fork means your BTC would now be in both blockchains; but it is simple common sense that one of the two ledger must be invalidated in order that bitcoin is to be trusted - and survive. If the two forks last for years and I have my UTXO in both ledger, that means both ledgers have been compromised. One must die off!

The premise of your argument is that there should be others out there to provide for your "free lunch" - never!

Any "free forked coins" must come with a risk; it is a matter of good judgment over bad or luck.

From money supply theory, 2 forks with UTXO means a doubling of money supply - means BTC price should rightly be halved; or 6000/2 =USD3000.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:20:47 PM

A hard fork means your BTC would now be in both blockchains; but it is simple common sense that one of the two ledger must be invalidated in order that bitcoin is to be trusted - and survive. If the two forks last for years and I have my UTXO in both ledger, that means both ledgers have been compromised. One must die off!

The premise of your argument is that there should be others out there to provide for your "free lunch" - never!

Any "free forked coins" must come with a risk; it is a matter of good judgment over bad or luck.

From money supply theory, 2 forks with UTXO means a doubling of money supply - means BTC price should rightly be halved; or 6000/2 =USD3000.

Huh? After a hard fork there are two chains and two separate sets of coins. If miners mine both, both exist. Period. This is not a zero sum game so the values of two coins do not add to the value of one.

Suppose the November fork causes a lot of media attention leading to public awareness that would not have existed otherwise. That causes a price jump, maybe. Suppose the November fork devolves into a hostile attack with a lot of bad transactions and lost coins. That causes a price drop.

illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:42:57 PM

It's a bit more complex than that. If we lend any credence to Metcalfe's Law, then an even split of the original network would result in each resulting network having only 25% of the original value. This is because network value is proportional to the square of the number of connected users.

Supply of BTC is not being doubled. However, like all altcoins, Bitcoin forks dilute investment away from BTC. As long as the fork is viewed as an altcoin, there is no perception of an increase in supply.
GreenCoin22

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:08:19 PM

And I was wondering what to do with the altcoins. Should I invest there or just keep my investment in the BTC. Stratis seems a good investment for me because it has promising work. But I don`t understand what is happening with it. Do you guys have any knowledge about it? It was around 8$ and now it is around 3$ is this normal or what? As I know Stratis has something with microsoft but I don`t know what 
rexter

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 12:20:27 AM

I am so excited when fork is coming,i am holding on waiting for the benefits i gain from this fork.
Thanks a lot guys for this informative topic.
MarcelaSchwab664

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 02:37:55 AM

Coinbase updated about sewit Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
thinair

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:51:17 AM

I am so excited when fork is coming,i am holding on waiting for the benefits i gain from this fork.
Thanks a lot guys for this informative topic.
...then, I think I should invest in your coming "definite" profiting. What's your selling price?
thinair

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:10:12 AM

It's a bit more complex than that. If we lend any credence to Metcalfe's Law, then an even split of the original network would result in each resulting network having only 25% of the original value. This is because network value is proportional to the square of the number of connected users.

Supply of BTC is not being doubled. However, like all altcoins, Bitcoin forks dilute investment away from BTC. As long as the fork is viewed as an altcoin, there is no perception of an increase in supply.
I am not sure of Metcalfe's Law, but price is ultimately about supply and demand. With a hard fork, there will be doubling of bitcoins. I don't think pricing depends on number of nodes - "network value is proportional to the square of the number of connected users". It depends on number of buyers and sellers; there will be a general doubling of sellers but a halving of buyers as they would be distributed to two blockchains. In fact prices would be just 25%. So BTC price should be 6000/4 = USD 1500.
crazycatwoman03

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:48:51 PM

I think many people have learned from the previous hard fork. Many people have been easily swayed with the fear of losing bitcoin therefore undergoing panic selling. What happened had result to a huge dump in the market price and even if the price is low many people still continue to sell their coins. After what happened, bitcoin eventually recovers and up until now, its price continue to go higher and higher.

I can suggest to hold your coins even if a hard fork is coming because based from previous forks, after fork the price go higher enabling the holders to earn big profits.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
chadtn

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 02:18:06 PM

It's not like BTC Cash. BTC Cash and Gold were not forks as for me. In November 15-16 we will have a real fork, so keep your btc in your wallets or exchanges and wait for BTC 2X

▄██    ▐███████▄▄▄       ▄▄█████▄▄      ▄██▄      ▐██▄    ▒▓▓▄      ▄▓▓▒
     ███    ▐██▌▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ████▄     ▐██▌  ▐▓▄ ▀▓▓▄  ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███   ███▌      ███▌   ██████    ▐██▌   ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▓▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐██▌    ▄████  ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███ ███▄  ▐██▌     ▀▓▓▄ ▀▀ ▄▓▓▀
     ███    ▐█████████▀▀   ▐███▌      ▐██▌   ███  ▀███ ▐██▌      ▓▓▓    ▓▓▓
     ███    ▐██▌   ▀███     ███▌      ███▌   ███    ██████▌   ▄▓▓▀ ▄▓▓▓▓▄ ▓▓▓▄
     ███    ▐██▌     ███    ▀███▄▄▄▄▄████    ███     ▀████▌  ▐▓▀ ▄▓▓▀  ▀▓▓▄ ▀▓▌
     ███    ▐██▌      ███     ▀▀██████▀▀     ███       ███▌    ▄▓▓▀      ▀▓▓▄
                  ▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄
             ▄▄█▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀█▓▓▓▓▓█▄
           ▄▓▓▓█▀▀            ▀▀█▓▓█▄
         ▓▓▓█▀                    ▀▓▓█▄
       ▄▓▓▓▀                        ▀▓▓█
      ▄▓▓█                            █▓▓
      ▓▓▓                    ▄██▄     ▐▓▓█
     ▓▓▓                   ▄█▓▓▀       ▐▓▓▌
     ▓▓▓                 ▄█▓▓▀          ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓       ▓▓▓▄    ▓▓▓▓▀            ▓▓▓
     ▓▓▓        ▀▓▓▓▄█▓▓▓▀             ▐▓▓▌
     ▀▓▓▓         ▀█▓▓█▀               █▓▓
      ▓▓▓▄                            ▓▓▓▌
       ▓▓▓█                         ▄█▓▓▀
        ▀▓▓█▄                     ▄▓▓▓█▀
          ▀▓▓▓█▄               ▄▄█▓▓█▀
            ▀▀█▓▓▓█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▓▓▓█▀
                ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███▀▀
amaljinadasa

Activity: 196
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 10:58:13 AM

Secure your coins in a paper or hard wallet for extra safety.
Avoid transacting the BTC symbol before and after fork day.

doramason

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:51:10 PM

It's not like BTC Cash. BTC Cash and Gold were not forks as for me. In November 15-16 we will have a real fork, so keep your btc in your wallets or exchanges and wait for BTC 2X

Yes. I hear a lot of comments from people like this is nothing and they will just receive "free coins" at the end. I've even heard someone mentioning the new coins(BCH,BCG) as dividends for holding BTC  Embarrassed

There are wide range of possibilities of what could happen in segwit2x fork and they include total market chaos(not knowing which coin is winning the fight) for a while to 2x coin actually becoming the "Bitcoin". Price could halve or both coins price might collapse if investors are too scared. Or maybe nothing will happen. But to claim everthing will be awesome and you will just sell the "free 2x coin" after the fork seems way to optimistic for me. These people are either way too naive or have a hidden agenda...

And these forks are destructive for bitcoin's reputation and long term adoption and success. Speculating to get "free coins" today will have consequences in future.
mrcryptosocial

Activity: 17

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 02:55:40 PM

You have basically 2 options for that.
1.Keep your btcoins in some exchanges like bittrex or bitfinex and they will credit you with free coins.
2.Keep your coins in your private wallet in this case you cannot take advantage of the early price drops and rises.
Make sure you have your private key exported before the fork.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: