Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:00:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: And.... I missed it! Anyone else? What do we do now?  (Read 175 times)
BillyThePoet (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:21:34 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't place my btc in a proper wallet in time and left it in coinbase. I thought the hard fork would happen today but it actually did yesterday.

So, I was wondering if it is still possible to get bitcoin gold now after the hard fork took place? If it is, what's the best and safest way to do so? And, what wallet would you recommend?

I wish the dev team behind this hard fork would be willing to share the updates, guidelines and recommendation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CodyAlfaridzi

Activity: 1708
Merit: 541

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:35:09 AM

No unfortunately. There is no way you could claim your Bitcoin Gold because you put your Bitcoin under Coinbase control. Just hope and pray that someday Coinbase will change their stance against Bitcoin Gold and credit their user with BTG.
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3838

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:49:34 AM

I'm afraid it's too late for you. Currently Coinbase isn't giving access to your bitcoingold due to the bitcoingold devs not making their code open source. Quote from Coinbase's bitcoin gold FAQ:
Is Coinbase going to support Bitcoin Gold?

We operate by the principle that our customers should benefit to the greatest extent possible from hard forks or other unexpected events. However, safety and security are also important considerations for any asset supported by Coinbase.

At this time, Coinbase cannot support Bitcoin Gold because its developers have not made the code available to the public for review. This is a major security risk.
Source: https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892196-bitcoin-gold-faq

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bigdickrodney

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 02:12:23 AM

You still are credited bitcoin gold if you have bitcoin on coinbase. Earliest access to the forks is going to be in 2018 sometime on Coinbase.
Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 02:15:22 AM

So, I was wondering if it is still possible to get bitcoin gold now after the hard fork took place?

Actually, there is. You need to go to an exchange, deposit either fiat or BTC, and buy bitcoin gold. The price won't be high anyway, so you can buy a lot for just little money.

But I think you need to go to coinbase, and contact them to see whether or not they want to credit the coins to your account or not. It's up to them to decide what they want to do.
bigdickrodney

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 02:25:49 AM

So, I was wondering if it is still possible to get bitcoin gold now after the hard fork took place?

But I think you need to go to coinbase, and contact them to see whether or not they want to credit the coins to your account or not. It's up to them to decide what they want to do.

Quote from coinbase and link provided:

Coinbase/GDAX will not sell or keep Bitcoin Gold associated with customer Bitcoin for itself. Any Bitcoin Gold will remain securely stored on Coinbase. If Coinbase were to enable support for Bitcoin Gold at a future date, customers would be able to withdraw Bitcoin Gold associated with their Coinbase/GDAX Bitcoin balances at the time of the Bitcoin Gold fork.

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2892196-bitcoin-gold-faq?b_id=13521
buytheeffinD

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

The revolutionary AI gaming ecosystem

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 03:42:24 AM

Unfortunately you cant get any free bitcoin gold now but you can buy some on exchanges still. For the future instead of using a website like coinbase or another where you dont hold your private keys try holding your own

private keys. This way you wont have to worry if you will be credited or not, because it will be an automatic credit when the fork happens. Look into Ledger, Trezor, and KeepKey they are industry leaders in this aspect.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: