Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:02:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Bitcoin will be used to pay employees?  (Read 3280 times)
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:37:23 PM

So, do you think companies will use Bitcoin to pay their employees in the future?

I'm not sure if there are companies that already do that, but I haven't heard of anything.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:40:54 PM

It is being done now, although I only know of bitcoin related companies doing this now.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:52:49 PM

It is being done now, although I only know of bitcoin related companies doing this now.

Yeah, I have heard of Bitcoin related businesses doing it, I guess I should of said Non-Bitcoin companies.
kneemoe

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:58:00 PM

Wikileaks is one non-btc company doing this
http://www.techcast.org/Commentary.aspx?ID=342
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:10:17 AM

So, do you think companies will use Bitcoin to pay their employees in the future?

I'm not sure if there are companies that already do that, but I haven't heard of anything.

Yes, why not.
I think is a good way to pay your freelance empoyees working in another country.
Welsh (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:14:49 AM

Yes, why not.
I think is a good way to pay your freelance empoyees working in another country.

That's what I was thinking, I'm surprised that more companies have not done this.
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:10:38 AM

Yes, why not.

That's what I was thinking, I'm surprised that more companies have not done this.

If they're not bitcoin freaks or reading about last tech they're not going to do this because:

1. Company needs to know about bitcoins and how to use them properly and trust in the security (they're not going to hold a lot of bitcoins if they think a hacker can steal them)
2. Buyer needs to know about bitcoins and how to use them, plus he needs to accept this form of payment.
3. Depends where you live buying is not really easy and sometimes you need to pay a lot of fees, so maybe is going to be easier and cheaper just to use normal method. Or something else.

In the future this will work with bitcoins, I don't doubt about it. But we need more time for this.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:38:33 AM

There's a Dutch company (not Bitcoin related) paying their employees in Bitcoin. Article in Dutch: http://www.nu.nl/tech/3477132/nederlands-bedrijf-betaalt-werknemers-met-bitcoin.html

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
jaakkop

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 08:54:54 AM

Also a Finnish software company SC5 has an option for its employees to receive their salary in Bitcoin.
http://sc5.io/blog/2013/03/sc5-pays-salaries-in-bitcoin/

I'd buy that for a dollar bitcoin!
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:58:36 AM

Also a Finnish software company SC5 has an option for its employees to receive their salary in Bitcoin.
Cool. Do they officially report their salary payments for tax and everything? Here in the Netherlands, there was a recent public statement from our minister of Finance that salary paid in Bitcoin is subject to taxes, just like salary in euros or other currencies. Which is a good thing, cause it only helps Bitcoin getting more mainstream and generally accepted as money.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
jaakkop

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 09:19:54 AM

Cool. Do they officially report their salary payments for tax and everything? Here in the Netherlands, there was a recent public statement from our minister of Finance that salary paid in Bitcoin is subject to taxes, just like salary in euros or other currencies. Which is a good thing, cause it only helps Bitcoin getting more mainstream and generally accepted as money.
Yeah, it's stated in that blog entry Smiley
"The euro amount to be converted into Bitcoins is deducted from the net salary (after taxes) on the employee’s paycheck, similarly as the Finnish lunch vouchers."

If I recall correctly, there's no official statement yet from the Finnish Tax Administration regarding taxation of virtual currencies. Better to be safe than sorry Smiley

I'd buy that for a dollar bitcoin!
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 09:29:19 AM

http://blog.archive.org/2013/02/21/employees-to-be-paid-in-bitcoin-please-donate/

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:10:55 PM

It should not be compulsory, but it should be tried as an option. Ultimately, it depends of where you live and what you do with your money. If you get paid in bitcoin, but there are no shops or places accepting bitcoin in your area, you'll have to go to an exchange immediately, so it's not very useful.

There might be more opportunities in an employer opening a bitcoin savings account for its employees.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:13:12 PM

I think so.  Beginning with those Internet savvy programmers and those who are aware of Bitcoins.  Once this is started, the rest of the employees will know how easy and flexible Bitcoin is and maybe the trend will spread.   One detrimental issue is Bitcoin fluctuations is still too large to be used as such.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:15:51 PM

Not with the price going up/down by $50 a day.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:42:00 PM

If we are talking about short term projects or contractors, then many, many people are using bitcoin for paying employees. I have even paid for work with BTC.
Earlier I was referring to full time salaried employees. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:58:16 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 06:09:17 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I receive part of my salary in Bitcoins.  The simplest way for a company to pay using Bitcoins is to make it an "after tax deduction elected by the employee".  My salary is $X USD.  The company already deducts payroll taxes, income taxes, and benefit premiums.  I elected (by written authorization) to have a certain amount of my salary paid in BTC.  The options my company gave me were a specific USD amount, a specific % of salary, or entire net (after withholding and deductions) amount.  

On Payday the company converts the USD amount to BTC using the volume weighted average exchange rate over the entire pay period.  Our company's program covers all costs and fees but a company could charge a reasonable fee for the service.  I am sure on a long enough timeline payroll companies like ADP will offer this.

Now there are other ways to do this but the advantage of doing it this way is that it is very simply for any company to implement.  All Payroll software allows post tax deductions.  The amount deducted becomes a credit on the company USD books and an equivalent debit is made on the company's BTC books.   The tax implications are already taken care of (other than any capital gains on rising value) as the taxes were based on gross salary.  The company can still deduct the entire cost of the employees salary with no changes to accounting.  

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:02:42 PM

in many developed countries where EMPLOYEES have their income tax removed from their wage slip before it hits their bank account. most of these countries have minimum wage laws stating the employee needs to be paid X fiat per hour minimum, making it hard to break away to a bitcoin payment method

but for self employed/contracted work/ temp work this is easier to achieve

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:09:07 PM

but for self employed/contracted work/ temp work this is easier to achieve

It's great how nicely those kind of opportunities lines up with the internet, and leveraging it to work, in general.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:20:30 PM

Not with the price going up/down by $50 a day.

Why not?

Ever heard of unit cost averaging?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: