Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest in bitcoin/litecoin mining investment?  (Read 791 times)
pontiacg5 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:01:23 AM

Is there a market for bitcoin mining investment? I mean I already sort of have an investor in my current mining project, but he's just a friend (my boss haha!)

I have access to lots and lots (200A service 440 3 phase Cheesy) of very nearly free power, and I'm set up in an industrial building so heat isn't really a problem.
I just picked up a dirt cheap 7870 a few days ago and pushed it to 450mh/s pretty easily, and I've been running a 3Gh/s 7970 monstrosity for the last few weeks. (I've got uptimes in weeks now, ha!)

If such a market exists, where would one look?

I know I posted this in the newbies section, that was a mistake!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:34:09 AM

Is there a market for bitcoin mining investment? I mean I already sort of have an investor in my current mining project, but he's just a friend (my boss haha!)

There is always a market.  Look at asic options depending on investors budget that is where future is.  Also be careful lots of fakes trying to get your money/coins .
pontiacg5 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:54:23 PM

Is there a particular place you'd recommend looking? I generally hate being the spamming type, but it looks about the only way to go.

Thanks!

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:37:54 PM

Well here is the thing. What you are talking about, a huge GPU farm, eating tons of power and venting tons of heat, is going away, and mighty fast. You might say that litecoins will pick up the slack, except that every current GPU miner will feel the same way, and crush litecoin.

So, while you might offer a hosting service or investment opportunity, most people are not looking to double down on GPU at the moment.

Just to show why...

Next difficulty increase is predicted to be about 20% in a few days. Assuming just that growth to continue (likely to be greater), in one month the difficulty will be 33mil, at which time your 3gh machine will produce 1.36btc per month. One month after that you make .81btc, etc.

I would recommend you perhaps instead look at hosting service for Asics.
pontiacg5 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:52:34 PM

I would expect to have to evolve with the market, and I don't really see a future in litecoin for the same reason you mentioned. That being said, some might and I wouldn't mind running litecoin rigs if people wanted to pay for the equipment.

Still though, the advantage I have with power cost and location would make something like this viable right? Someday asics won't be impossible to come by, and people still won't want to deal with the heat output and power consumption.

I only live like 20 minutes from BFL, too  Grin

As is though, I'm still on track to pay for my 3gh/s rig with coins. I guessed the difficulty would start jumping 25% every two weeks when I started, but that didn't happen for quite a while. Still hasn't I guess!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: