Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 09:57:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a great idea or is it stupid and been talked about before?  (Read 942 times)
YacLives (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:51:09 AM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 03:14:02 AM by YacLives

Has anyone actually built their rig in tanks of oil to save on cooling costs and if so does it work
and did i just blow your mind or is it a stupid idea
YacLives (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:41:27 AM

Really, no one?  Undecided
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:42:28 AM

Someone here did... I don't remember where the post was though. They have a lot of video cards in it.

I don't get how that works though. Is it using special oil?

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:44:01 AM

You still need to cool the oil, Otherwise all you have is a deep fryer.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:45:40 AM

It's been done

http://youtu.be/7OpjknGXZAE
YacLives (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:46:42 AM

Someone here did... I don't remember where the post was though. They have a lot of video cards in it.

you can use baby oil but not all oils because you dont want stuff to grow in it like it would in vegie oil

babie oil cost a bit but has to be cheaper then $30 a pop for a waterblock and the power needed to power it

and i would love to see a vid or a pic of someone with a serious rig in oil tanks it would be epic

i wonder how much power a small refrigerator element would cost to run in comparison
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:48:41 AM

you can use baby oil but not all oils because you dont want stuff to grow in it like it would in vegie oil

babie oil cost a bit but has to be cheaper then $30 a pop for a waterblock and the power needed to power it

and i would love to see a vid or a pic of someone with a serious rig in oil tanks it would be epic

i wonder how much power a small refrigerator element would cost to run in comparison

There was someone who posted on one of the OC'ing sites (I think overclockers.net or whatever it is) where they got a P4 CPU to over 13 GHZ using oil as the coolant.

But my confusion is... oil essentially is a liquid. How does it not fry the circuits? If we put even a little water on it the entire thing would be toast.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
schnebi

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:50:49 AM

There was someone who posted on one of the OC'ing sites (I think overclockers.net or whatever it is) where they got a P4 CPU to over 13 GHZ using oil as the coolant.

But my confusion is... oil essentially is a liquid. How does it not fry the circuits? If we put even a little water on it the entire thing would be toast.

Oil does Not conduct electricity......
YacLives (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 04:54:22 AM

Thats a crazy overclock and yer the condensation would be the scariest part but you can chuck a heap of those crystals that absorb moisture i guess
but i think if you dont let any of the parts touch the bottom of the tank you should be right cause i assume thats where the water will be but then again lol you
would have to keep the oil flowing around so there isnt hotspots so i have no clue how to combat that and is why i kinda made this thread im totally interested
Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:55:21 AM

There's a post over @ hardforum where someone used an oil submerged rig to cook with

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:55:55 AM

Learn something new everyday. Googled and confirmed!

Thanks, lol.

Now then... what would be the method of cooling the oil? Mostly what I'm seeing online just deals with engine oil, =/

Rubberduckie
Legendary

Activity: 1442

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:58:30 AM

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1104341

schnebi

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:00:17 AM

Thanks, lol.

Now then... what would be the method of cooling the oil? Mostly what I'm seeing online just deals with engine oil, =/
I think, if you Put your rig in A large Oil tank of about 20 litres, the surface of the tank should be Huge enough to conduct the heat to the environment
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:01:14 AM

There's already a dozen threads discussing this including

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=56596.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32481.0

Here's my setup- I heard pool mining was the way to go...

YacLives (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:01:18 AM

i guess he did it for the lulz...but he did put a stove under it too
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:03:53 AM

Thanks, lol.

I think, if you Put your rig in A large Oil tank of about 20 litres, the surface of the tank should be Huge enough to conduct the heat to the environment

Based on what the other posts say, a radiator or something be needed. Here's a quote from the top link dwdoc posted:

"A radiator will be absolutely crucial. Otherwise you will just be making a large fryolator to fry french fries in. "

I love it... fryolator.

mm8000

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:07:06 AM

Nice! I can mine and cook fries at the same time!  Cool
YacLives (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:09:44 AM

Thanks, lol.

Yup my thoughts too i have read that some servers farms do it and to good results  http://www.geekosystem.com/mineral-oil-servers
devilfish

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:09:52 AM

I remember seeing some other posts about this way back. If I remember correctly, mineral oil was suggested as it will not grow anything and is generally rather inert and that it was also crucial to remove fans as they will not have a very happy time running submerged in a viscous liquid. I always wanted to try this though, maybe a weekend project.
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:10:08 AM

Nice! I can mine and cook fries at the same time!  Cool

Step 1) Buy McDonald's franchise
Step 2) Replace friers with mining PC's
Step 3) Huh
Step 4) Profit and buy the world!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: