Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:46:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is Bitcoin an Asset, Currency or Both?
Asset - 4 (25%)
Currency - 3 (18.8%)
Both - 9 (56.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin an Asset or Currency?  (Read 687 times)
StockBet.com (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Make A Bet on WORKING SOFTWARE

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2017, 12:11:24 PM

NYU's 'Dean of Valuations' Says Bitcoin Is a Currency, Not an Asset
https://www.coindesk.com/nyus-dean-of-valuations-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency-not-an-asset/

I’ve watched Aswath many times on CNBC over several years. I’ve used his spreadsheets to value companies and stocks. He seems to be the go-to guy to value specific companies on CNBC.

I agree that you cannot value Bitcoin, but only price it and trade it.  However, I disagree with him that it’s not an asset.  I think Bitcoin can be both a currency and asset.  In fact, it is more of an asset than currency right now.  I disagree with him that an asset has to “generate cash flow”.  Gold does not generate cash flow.

What does the community think?  Is Bitcoin an asset, currency or both?

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fria

Activity: 182
Merit: 40

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 12:38:36 PM

Actually both, you can collect coins as an asset and you can use it for local or online shopping or a payment for services and even send it to someone the same with cash remittance.
rainbow169

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 12:46:51 PM

At the moment probably more an asset than currency, the transaction cost is far too high on bitcoin, which means buying a coffee with is not economically viable. Also as a currency it's just not very widely accepted yet.
Funeral Wreaths

Activity: 177

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 12:50:27 PM

this has been answered multiple times in this forum and it seems that it will still be answered again and again. Yes for now it is more likely an asset rather than a currency. As for so many people around here they prefer it being an investment intead of being used as day to day currency.
Shinza

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:26:07 PM

To me, bitoin is both property and money. I can stock or sell bitcoin as a property and use it to exchange, buy, sell or pay like money.

kissme09

Activity: 658

PayAccept - Worldwide payments accepted in seconds

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:28:43 PM

I think the two are also a valuable asset and many people recognize it as a kind of money when you have earned a bitcoin, it is a valuable asset with quite a few countries with the recognition Bitcoin is a currency however it may later be a major payment method in the world along with gold and dola coins.

Nefarious

Activity: 214

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:29:47 PM

I see it as a bit of both, but more of an asset than currency at this time.
MaryCris

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 08:59:11 AM

In my opinion, it is both an asset and a currency. I can decide to stock/collect bitcoins for keeps or sell them, specially because it's value increasingly grows. I also have the option to use is as payment for goods and services that I want or may need.
razzbee

Activity: 182

Transcodium - The Future of Transcoding

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2017, 09:00:27 AM

Bitcoin is a currency ..
ratiobitcoin

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:32:54 AM

actually both. But at the moment i would rather say asset than currency for the following reasons:
- somehow high transaction fees
- the time it takes to fullfill a transaction
- the opportunities where you can pay/get btc in regular daily life

trobin

Activity: 177
Merit: 102

🤖UBEX.COM 🤖

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:36:37 AM

Right now bitcoin is probably viewed by most and used by most as an asset, however longer term this will probably change to that of a currency as it begins to be accepted in more more and places. Ultimately many people who own bitcoin do not own it because of its potential as a currency they own it because they are speculating on the price, as one would with an asset.

Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1030

give me your cryptos

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Currently, Bitcoin is much like an asset. For all intents and purposes, it's impractical to use as an everyday spending method. Most people who use Bitcoin are using it as an investment or a store of value, not to buy things. If I want to buy something for $10, I'm not paying $3 of fees. That's ridiculous.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
Chanock

Activity: 476
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 11:43:43 AM

Bitcoin is both asset and currency. In terms of asset bitcoin as of now is a big asset because if you look the price value of it is big enough and if you have 1 bitcoin or more meaning you have a big amount of money. Since bitcoin now is 7,200 USD and more and you keep it and invest it now it your asset. In terms of currency bitcoin has the same use of any currency even the main use of it is in virtual transaction only it is considered as currency.
Creepings

Activity: 546
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:07:55 PM

To me, bitoin is both property and money. I can stock or sell bitcoin as a property and use it to exchange, buy, sell or pay like money.

But a property is different from an asset. Property are the things that you own while the term "asset" are in businesses and companies. But it is right, bitcoin is the same, it is a currency and an asset of one's people. Asset because it is a valuable thing, people can say, bitcoin is an asset of that person. Currency because it is being used and accepted as one.
Riya R

Activity: 84

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:10:56 PM

Bitcoin is both currency and asset. Bitcoin is a digital currency. It works almost same as other normal currencies and it is an asset also.
cynical

Activity: 490
Merit: 136

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:19:06 PM

of course it is both a currency and an asset,
but it is growing more as an asset and less as a currency.
i am reading more and more of new investors getting into bitcoin and these are not using it as a currency!

this is an example taken from https://newsstand.google.com/articles/CAIiEM4K9XByPgCQTeiPrSVJ_zQqFAgEKg0IACoGCAowxIEBMKAYMNk_

"Bitcoin Surges To New Record High As CME Launches Bitcoin Futures In Q4Zero HedgeTyler Durden · Oct 31, 2017

As the mainstream continues to embrace cryptocurrencies - much to the chagrin of Jamie Dimon et al.
in the establishment - CME Group is "responding to client interest" and launching a Bitcoin Futures contract in Q4.

CME Group says new contract will be cash-settled, based on the CME CF Bitcoin Reference Rate (BRR) which serves
as a once-a-day reference rate of the U.S. dollar price of bitcoin.

This news has sent Bitcoin back up to record highs..."

████          O W N R   W A L L E T          ████   VISA PREPAID CARD    ████  Use crypto to pay in stores with OWNR  ████
❱❱❱❱ ❱❱❱ ❱❱ ❱     Buy, send, receive and exchange crypto        VISA   mastercard   SPA   UnionPay     ❰ ❰❰ ❰❰❰ ❰❰❰❰
BLOG       TWITTER     ██ █▌█ ▌     Manage crypto and VISA card in OWNR Wallet app    ▐ █▐█ ██     REDDIT   YOUTUBE
Hartmas

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:31:41 PM

Bitcoin is both currency and asset. Bitcoin is a digital currency. It works almost same as other normal currencies and it is an asset also.

I also think that this is a unique technology, which is both a coin and an asset and a payment system. These are the newest technologies that will change our lives
Pinoyfan

Activity: 308

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:35:37 PM

NYU's 'Dean of Valuations' Says Bitcoin Is a Currency, Not an Asset
https://www.coindesk.com/nyus-dean-of-valuations-says-bitcoin-is-a-currency-not-an-asset/

I’ve watched Aswath many times on CNBC over several years. I’ve used his spreadsheets to value companies and stocks. He seems to be the go-to guy to value specific companies on CNBC.

I agree that you cannot value Bitcoin, but only price it and trade it.  However, I disagree with him that it’s not an asset.  I think Bitcoin can be both a currency and asset.  In fact, it is more of an asset than currency right now.  I disagree with him that an asset has to “generate cash flow”.  Gold does not generate cash flow.

What does the community think?  Is Bitcoin an asset, currency or both?
Ofcourse bitcoin is crypto CURRENCY ASSET because this is profitable for all people.
coin royal

Activity: 52

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:40:05 PM

In my opinion, it is both an asset and a currency. I can decide to stock/collect bitcoins for keeps or sell them, specially because it's value increasingly grows. I also have the option to use is as payment for goods and services that I want or may need.
[/quotes
yes you are right bitcoin plays an important role in both asset and currency because bitcoin is known as digital currency and if they give tham the real name of currency and it will must act like currency and now the second option which is asset so yeah because bitcoin acts like asset.
wangxiaoyan888666

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 12:40:17 PM

Bitcoin is an asset, not a currency.There is no large-scale application and circulation in real life
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: