Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:17:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Powercolor 7950's, engine/memclock jumping around?  (Read 2095 times)
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 03:22:42 AM

Hi all,

I have a rig with three of these installed: PowerColor AX7950 3GBD5-2DHV4 Radeon HD 7950

Also 8GB system ram, 6 core AMD proc, and thermaltake toughpower grand 1200W gold psu.

Regardless of if I am mining sha256 or scrypt, I noticed the engine and memclock speed hopping around in cgminer. For example, if I set --gpu-engine 1100 --gpu-memclock 1600 and start cgminer, when I look at the speeds of any card it will show a higher voltage and the full speed, and a second later it might drop down to an engine speed of 825 clock speed of 1100 and the voltage will drop slightly. My overall average hash rate isn't bad, but I've configured several other machines for people I know and I've never seen this.

Perhaps I'm just being a noob?

One thing I will say about these cards is the lack of reference cooler seems to mean it is prime for cooking an egg on. I can only average 530MH/s KH/s from each card in order to keep them 80c or below (one of them sits around 73c). This includes a small turbo box fan sitting behind them blowing air over them, AND being positioned two feet below a central air vent so a/c is flowing near the cards (open air bench case).

Any suggestions are welcome, I feel like I could squeeze at least another 10% production out of these things!

Thanks in advance  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:18:25 AM

i would suggest using msi afterburner and the ati****.dll and creating a proper msiafterburner config.

search google or the forumns on how to downclock your memory, voltage, etc.

IMO, if temps are a huge issue go BTC route and downclock memory.

I am also gonna assume you are using PCI-E risers.   Certain cards require a lot of power and they will affect mutiple cards when more than 1 pci-e riser is used.
This will cause gpu performance to spike and the cards to crash easier.

sorry for the typo but i have very little time to help you out.
camaro69327

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:49:22 PM

this may just be a question for the cgminer thread ...but.

From what i understood, first you have to set --auto GPU & --Auto Fan, then you need to set a range for the Engine and Fan as a comma separated. Also you would need a temp target. This is all in the Read-me in the cgminer folder, have a look it is one powerfull ass program.

--auto-fan          Automatically adjust all GPU fan speeds to maintain a target temperature
--auto-gpu          Automatically adjust all GPU engine clock speeds to maintain a target temperature
"gpu-engine" : "900-1000,950-1000",
"gpu-fan" : "20-80,20-80",
"temp-target" : "70,70",

Adjust above to suit.

I mine with a temp target, and when a miner is first started it takes awhile for it to "settle" in at the temp requested . it does work great tho.

craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 03:34:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think it was just something with the cheapo powercolors. I upgraded to Sapphire Vapor-X 7950s and they are running like champs at 1100 engine and 1500 memclock at 1640KH/s  Grin
computerparts

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:37:51 PM

jump around jump around get up get up and jump around
ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:39:45 AM

I had to send 2 out of 3 of those Powercolors back. Only one of them works as it should (knock on wood).

They did exactly what you described. The reason for that constant whine and throttleback is that they overheated on and off because the fan basically would not go over about 3300 rpms.

So, they would sit there whine for a while, overheat and then throttle back.

They also do that if you have turbo enabled. I used SapphireX but it does not help if the fan (or fan controller) goes out.

Well, live and learn. The one that works will do 1125 mhz gpu clock easy, so the benefit to them seems to be that they are unlocked.

Not a good fan design IMHO.

craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:31:48 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2013, 03:02:47 AM by craslovell

I had to send 2 out of 3 of those Powercolors back. Only one of them works as it should (knock on wood).

They did exactly what you described. The reason for that constant whine and throttleback is that they overheated on and off because the fan basically would not go over about 3300 rpms.

They also do that if you have turbo enabled. I used SapphireX but it does not help if the fan (or fan controller) goes out.

Well, live and learn. The one that works will do 1125 mhz gpu clock easy, so the benefit to them seems to be that they are unlocked.

I agree, the fans on those things were pretty anemic. It barely moved any air. For an extra $20-$30 you can get a far superior card. The Vapor-X's seem to be running excellently so far. Temps are much lower too, sitting around 72-73c. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope they last me a long time!
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 01:12:53 AM

I got one powercolor and it works fine.  It's running at 1200 core/185 memory.

But then I guess I don't mess with those bizarre alt-coins that destroy video cards

well, my fan is going 4800RPM at 80%
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 03:06:04 AM

I got one powercolor and it works fine.  It's running at 1200 core/185 memory.

But then I guess I don't mess with those bizarre alt-coins that destroy video cards

well, my fan is going 4800RPM at 80%

Bizarre alt coins? You mean scrypt based coins because of the high mem usage?  Tongue
ryantc

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

Bitcoin may be the TCP/IP of money.

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:56:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think it was just something with the cheapo powercolors. I upgraded to Sapphire Vapor-X 7950s and they are running like champs at 1100 engine and 1500 memclock at 1640KH/s  Grin

er.........that's not true

I have exactly the same card, actually exactly the same number of cards in my rig, and it's hashing @ 1640 like champs @ 1.013v with significant lower frequency then your Sapphire configuration.  All on risers.
You just need to find those cards sweet spot, it's doable. Cheesy

the only cons of this card is the fan noise, that kills me
just swap to accelero Xtreme Plus II, and I never see 70C again  Cheesy
craslovell (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 07:59:12 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, but I think it was just something with the cheapo powercolors. I upgraded to Sapphire Vapor-X 7950s and they are running like champs at 1100 engine and 1500 memclock at 1640KH/s  Grin

er.........that's not true

I have exactly the same card, actually exactly the same number of cards in my rig, and it's hashing @ 1640 like champs @ 1.013v with significant lower frequency then your Sapphire configuration.  All on risers.
You just need to find those cards sweet spot, it's doable. Cheesy

the only cons of this card is the fan noise, that kills me
just swap to accelero Xtreme Plus II, and I never see 70C again  Cheesy

What numbers are you running? I have my sapphires averaging 1,925KH/s all together at 73c now  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: