Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:30:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Challenge: Get a presidential candidate to accept bitcoin donations  (Read 2625 times)
BTC Economist (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:49:54 AM

It might be tough this year as I don't think Ron Paul is running.  President Obama and other high profile candidates probably don't want the political risk of accepting bitcoins, but if one candidate could do it it would be a publicity boon to the coin.  They are so desperate for money when they campaign that they might just go for it.

When BTC soars, you need to be READY!  PM me to learn more about my new e-book, How to Create and Profit from the Second Bitcoin Bubble available exclusively to BTC forum members!

17JzkreEBYNHQM9tMTiUKCHANofwzHRLhP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 11:52:29 AM

I am hereby officially announcing my candidacy for President of the United States as a write in candidate. I accept donations in BitCoins at this address: 1LnfUmmkYjT77PqyKVasADPwPokqwEcLKx (Note: Donations may not be used in ways that directly further my candidacy, unless I can think of some good ones.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:53:37 AM

The problem is that bitcoins are pseudo-anonymous and political donations are striclty controlled.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 11:56:11 AM

Knowing how money hungry politicians are during campaign time, this might not be an entirely dead idea.

Considering the prospect of hundreds of thousands in potential additional funding, some candidates might be willing to deal with the scrutiny that will fall upon bitcoin after they accept donations in it.

Then again, it could be political suicide at this stage.
How will they convert it to fiat currency to buy ad time etc.?

Reporters will most likely refer to it as money laundering or evil drug schemes based on Silk Road.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
killer2021

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:09:52 PM

I am hereby officially announcing my candidacy for President of the United States as a write in candidate. I accept donations in BitCoins at this address: 1LnfUmmkYjT77PqyKVasADPwPokqwEcLKx (Note: Donations may not be used in ways that directly further my candidacy, unless I can think of some good ones.)

If you make bitcoin the official currency of the world then you've got my vote!

Anonymous Cash-By-Mail Exchange: https://www.bitcoin2cash.com
1H6mqgB6UcqKt2SrCmhjxUp9np1Xrbkdj7
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 12:12:13 PM

If you make bitcoin the official currency of the world then you've got my vote!
I think making bitcoin an 'official currency' would actually be too ironic. But how about this -- my primary platform will be eliminating all legal obstacles, first in the United States and then in the entire world, to using BitCoins for all the things other currencies are used for. I commit specifically to the current protocol and hash chain. (I reserve the right not to commit to accepting Satoshi's key to shut things off.)

MeSarah

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:25:33 PM

It will never happen. Not because its not a good idea, but rather every dollar must be matched with every donor. We dont want undue foreign influence in the political process. Plus it would take a candidate ages to convert the btc into cash. Think about it.  A candidate accepts $1,000,000 and it would take 1000 days to convert the money. By then the election will be over.

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 12:29:50 PM

I regret to inform you that I will have to withdraw my candidacy for President of the United States of America. Due to certain practical and legal realities, and the failure of my campaign to raise any money despite running for an ENTIRE 12 MINUTES, I am forced to conclude that it's just unrealistic at this time. When America is ready for me, I will still be ready for her. I thank my imaginary supporters for their imaginary support.

cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:32:19 PM

The problem is that bitcoins are pseudo-anonymous and political donations are striclty controlled.

The following might be a legal procedure for accepting non-anonymous Bitcoin donations:

1. Donor registers with identity documentation and access to password protected account
2. Donor's Bitcoin address gets verified with a random small 0.000000xx amount of Bitcoin sent to his address and he needs to reply verify amount received by accessing the donor account created in number 1 above.
3. Donor now first send donations through the Bitcoin address verified in no. 2 above to the party registered with in no. 1

This procedure allows for donations that is not anonymous at all, fully declarable, reportable and auditable.

relative

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:43:31 PM

CHALLENGE: get bitcoin (and its foreign exchanges!) to comply with campaign finance law.

no chance.
MeSarah

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:43:52 PM

I regret to inform you that I will have to withdraw my candidacy for President of the United States of America. Due to certain practical and legal realities, and the failure of my campaign to raise any money despite running for an ENTIRE 12 MINUTES, I am forced to conclude that it's just unrealistic at this time. When America is ready for me, I will still be ready for her. I thank my imaginary supporters for their imaginary support.

Oh great thanks for telling me but its a bit late. What am I todo about this JoelKatz for President tatoo?

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````
JoelKatz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 12:45:36 PM

Oh great thanks for telling me but its a bit late. What am I todo about this JoelKatz for President tatoo?
If it helps, I'm still running in my own mind.

cloud9

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:08:54 PM

CHALLENGE: get bitcoin (and its foreign exchanges!) to comply with campaign finance law.

no chance.

So if I donated lemonade (a good) under reportable identity in South Carolina, the donation in kind (not US$ currency) will not comply with campaign finance, because if I donated bitcoin (a digital cryptography good which can also be used as a commodity currency, or secure login, or secure message sending, or other cryptographic applications) it does not comply with campaign finance law?  When will people get over the novelty of Bitcoin, and realise that a commodity currency needs work, to the full value of the commodity used as an electronic commodity currency, to manufacture.  This is unlike tokens/script/vouchers/promissary notes that does not require work, to the full value of the paper/electronic promise, to be used as a currency.

The raw material for Bitcoins is random 0's and 1's.  A bitcoin is a very special arrangement of these 0's and 1's requiring quite an effort in human effort, time and capital resource effort.  Bitcoins just not just require electricity to be made - it requires the sacrifice of very expensive capital processing power, human effort, maintenance and running costs, and many other production costs involved in digital good manufacturing.

A handmade paper card is worth much more in human effort, time and capital resource effort - than the waste paper it can be manufactured from.

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:15:11 PM

George Carlin was right, we're given the illusion that voting matters, that parties matter, that the silly issues they pump up on TV matter. Just a shell game, boys. You don't control the monetary system, you have no real say in anything. Lobbyists don't get paid in ideals and optimism, they require cold hard cash.

We'll never take the corporate contribution system out of our politics, so why even friggin' bother. Time to route around these parasitic bastards and never look back.

Seriously.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
qualia8

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:32:57 PM

No politician would take bitcoin.  It's a slap in the face to their financial overlords.  If they took BTC in defiance they, like Eliot Spitzer, would be suddenly busted and shamed for sexual shenanigans.
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:21:45 PM

Ron Paul is running but doubt he'll take btc
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:23:08 PM

He would, if you told him it's making the government smaller.
tymothy

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:32:04 PM

A non-fiat currency not controlled by any central bank? Ron Paul would go apeshit over this.

The problem is that bitcoins are pseudo-anonymous and political donations are strictly controlled.

Politicians only have to report information of donors donating more than $200. So long as they recorded your personal information at the time you made your donation and reported the fair market value of your "gift" (since BTC would be seen as a commodity, not a currency) to the FEC, there should be no issue.
Atom

Activity: 70

"Basics Of Generational Dynamics" - Look it up!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:38:07 PM

To add to Tymothy's point, the ultimate irony here is that in order for it to be a violation of the FEC regs, the government would have to acknowledge it as MONEY, which given the streisand effect would formally legitimize BTC for world use.

Remember folks, the only thing prohibition achieves is
a) Higher prices
b) Only criminals use the prohibited item, since anyone using the prohibited item is a criminal

BitTalk
with Atlas & Atom
A Show for the Bitcoin Universe, Fresh Episodes Weekly!
Episode 3 out now at BitTalk.tv

Liked this weeks episode of BitTalk?  Send us your 2¢ (.02BTC) 
13RVBjpo3xLeDBkB2NM64N8sWK4fariZUu
cloud9

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:49:39 PM

A non-fiat currency not controlled by any central bank? Ron Paul would go apeshit over this.

The problem is that bitcoins are pseudo-anonymous and political donations are strictly controlled.

Politicians only have to report information of donors donating more than $200. So long as they recorded your personal information at the time you made your donation and reported the fair market value of your "gift" (since BTC would be seen as a commodity, not a currency) to the FEC, there should be no issue.

Donate your valuable digital goods to your favourite candidate:

Encrypt the wallet.dat file and email the encrypted version to the candidate's campaign address.  Include your contact details for reporting purposes and for password retrieval of the encrypted file.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: