Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:20:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Free Biz Idea: A P2P Facebook replacement with Bitcoin Ads  (Read 862 times)
BTCLuke (OP)

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:42:45 AM

I'm just spitting these things out like watermelon seeds this week:

How about a P2P Facebook Replacement that only uses Bitcoin? - Bitcoinfinger

This idea would take a talented coder or nine, but right now the world is weary of Facebook because of the PRISM leak and its' membership was already headed south quickly for reasons of privacy... So replacing it with a totally distributed, P2P social App would be just what the doctor ordered!

The best part is that Bitcoin would be the only payment used with this app, so if a bigtime advertisers wanted to buy ad space across the whole network, he would be forced to buy the bitcoins and send them to all these millions of people!

If this thing even took a small but healthy chunk of bitcoin's business, the price of bitcoin would go stratospheric.

Enjoy!

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:52:55 AM

I'm just spitting these things out like watermelon seeds this week:

How about a P2P Facebook Replacement that only uses Bitcoin? - Bitcoinfinger

This idea would take a talented coder or nine, but right now the world is weary of Facebook because of the PRISM leak and its' membership was already headed south quickly for reasons of privacy... So replacing it with a totally distributed, P2P social App would be just what the doctor ordered!

The best part is that Bitcoin would be the only payment used with this app, so if a bigtime advertisers wanted to buy ad space across the whole network, he would be forced to buy the bitcoins and send them to all these millions of people!

If this thing even took a small but healthy chunk of bitcoin's business, the price of bitcoin would go stratospheric.

Enjoy!

While the theory behind this really isn't bad... the hard part is the marketing. There were tons of social networks before Facebook (or even Myspace). It's the marketing that drew people in, as well as "the right timing."

Sadly, even with all that's happening with FB and stuff, the number of people willing to move elsewhere is pretty limited. FB has become a way of life for many people and businesses, and the sole point of contact.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:33:08 AM

the hard part is the marketing. There were tons of social networks before Facebook (or even Myspace). It's the marketing that drew people in, as well as "the right timing."
Can't argue there... It would be like marketing any new social app from scratch, but this community would give it an edge there I'd think.

It should catch on fast with the cryptos, coders, privacy folks, and voluntaryists too. Anyone who wants far more privacy than facebook ever offered, and anyone who appreciates open source or P2P coding.

But now's the time, is my point. All these advantages will be there next year, alas, this PRISM leak is fresh.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:36:27 AM

the hard part is the marketing. There were tons of social networks before Facebook (or even Myspace). It's the marketing that drew people in, as well as "the right timing."
Can't argue there... It would be like marketing any new social app from scratch, but this community would give it an edge there I'd think.

It should catch on fast with the cryptos, coders, privacy folks, and voluntaryists too. Anyone who wants far more privacy than facebook ever offered, and anyone who appreciates open source or P2P coding.

But now's the time, is my point. All these advantages will be there next year, alas, this PRISM leak is fresh.

Without a widespread adoption it won't move though. If you've tried explaining things like Bitcoin to "normal" people (not too technical) you've probably noticed how hard it is to get people to try something out.

For us nerds, it's awesome. But what makes sites like FB good is that they cater to everyone; grandparents, young kids, etc.

I'm not saying it's really a bad idea... I just don't see it becoming too big. Although it's possible that even a small market share could do a lot of good.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:46:49 AM

If you've tried explaining things like Bitcoin to "normal" people (not too technical) you've probably noticed how hard it is to get people to try something out.
I think you're overlooking the greed factor though... Instead of Billions of dollars of ad revenue going to facebook, it would then be going to the users.

We'll straight-up bribe them to use it... Another edge.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:51:33 AM

If you've tried explaining things like Bitcoin to "normal" people (not too technical) you've probably noticed how hard it is to get people to try something out.
I think you're overlooking the greed factor though... Instead of Billions of dollars of ad revenue going to facebook, it would then be going to the users.

lol, wonder how that would work.

I can do a lot of marketing...

BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:18:42 AM

It's pretty simple, on all levels (word of mouth, ad banners, viral videos, whatever format) we just convey the message that there is a completely private alternative to facebook now that pays 'YOU' all the money that was going to facebook before!

"Why let Zuck get rich off of those ads beside YOUR content while sharing all of your private details with the feds? With Program X, YOU get 100% of the ad revenue generated from your content, Forever!"

Or did you mean how would the mechanics of it work? Well like facebook there'd be a self-service ad platform for advertisers to buy impressions at, but instead of facebook selling them, each individual user has, in their profile, an ad preferences sub-profile that matches up to the advertiser's needs. (And where they put their bitcoin address for payment.)

...And unlike facebook, there would be no one seeing those preferences, because that kind of info would be stored per user on Mega, only seen by the user, ever. (But meta-viewed by the advertisers, of course.)

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:20:59 AM

It's pretty simple, on all levels (word of mouth, ad banners, viral videos, whatever format) we just convey the message that there is a completely private alternative to facebook now that pays 'YOU' all the money that was going to facebook before!

"Why let Zuck get rich off of those ads beside YOUR content while sharing all of your private details with the feds? With Program X, YOU get 100% of the ad revenue generated from your content, Forever!"

Or did you mean how would the mechanics of it work? Well like facebook there'd be a self-service ad platform for advertisers to buy impressions at, but instead of facebook selling them, each individual user has, in their profile, an ad preferences sub-profile that matches up to the advertiser's needs. (And where they put their bitcoin address for payment.)

...And unlike facebook, there would be no one seeing those preferences, because that kind of info would be stored per user on Mega, only seen by the user, ever. (But meta-viewed by the advertisers, of course.)

I'm a little lost as to how the users get all the ad revenue. And if that's how it works, how is development and such sustained with no income?

BTCLuke (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:23:12 AM

I'm a little lost as to how the users get all the ad revenue. And if that's how it works, how is development and such sustained with no income?
Commons area ad space.

If the page was created by a user, ads go to that user.
If the page wasn't, then the bitcoin address of the development team gets it.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:24:37 AM

just buy derpbook.com
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:26:48 AM

Commons area ad space.

If the page was created by a user, ads go to that user.
If the page wasn't, then the bitcoin address of the development team gets it.

Ahh, interesting... I'd love to join someone/some people in a project with this. While my coding ability is somewhat limited I do feel I could be a great asset.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: