Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 06:36:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help configuring miner to run more than 5 GPU's  (Read 209 times)
Meltingin364 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 02:33:16 PM

I would appreciate some insight from someone .

I have a BTC-250 motherboard. I am running 5 MSI 1070 with no problems.
When I add the 6th 1070 to the board it is completely unstable and will not mine.
I am using windows 10
I have gone into the bios and enabled mining configuration which now specifically says 6 GPU.
I am wondering if there is an onboard graphics card I need to disable
I did replace the riser
I did confirm the GPU in question operates
I do have the latest drivers
I did go online and actually read the entire manual for the bios
I did change the language in the bios to English from Chinese which was my biggest accomplishment this year

If anyone knows what I may try other than being content with a 5GPU rig that works flawlessly I would really appreciate the help.

Thankyou
coinsforpoons

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 02:52:52 PM

Is it running out of memory? You can add virtual memory in windows 10 in System--->Advanced---->settings and go to virtual memory/pagefile and set it higher.
DevelopmentBank

Activity: 406
Merit: 110

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:42:33 PM

When you say "will not mine" can you described what is happening? Is it windows that is crashing? your miner?

One possibility is that your PSU cannot handle the wattage of 6 x 1070s.
Give a 1070 consumer around 125watts, 6*125=750watts, make sure your PSU can handle at the very least 850 watts (+100 for CPU and other components).
Also factor in the fact that you should never use max load on a PSU.

Do you have a 1000w PSU?
Meltingin364 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:41:21 PM

When you say "will not mine" can you described what is happening? Is it windows that is crashing? your miner?

I should not say will not mine. What it does is that the Monitor constantly flickers on and off. When it did finally stay on I opened nice hash and ran the benchmark which froze on GPU 2 every time also locking up the computer. I had to power the PSU on and off to restart.

Give a 1070 consumer around 125watts, 6*125=750watts, make sure your PSU can handle at the very least 850 watts (+100 for CPU and other components).

Do you have a 1000w PSU?

I am running a 1200 watt power Supply.

I should not say will not mine. What it does is that the Monitor constantly flickers on and off. When it did finally stay on I opened nice hash and ran the benchmark which froze on GPU 2 every time also locking up the computer. I had to power the PSU on and off to restart.

Thankyou
Meltingin364 (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:53:58 PM

Is it running out of memory? You can add virtual memory in windows 10 in System--->Advanced---->settings and go to virtual memory/pagefile and set it higher.
[/quot

Thanks, I will try this tonight.
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 02:39:07 AM

Do you have a 1000w PSU?

I am running a 1200 watt power Supply.

Thankyou

having time to take a glance with your motherboard seems that it has a 2 x PCI-E 12V 4Pin Connectors

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=865

Did you supply power on these two pins?

Meltingin364 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 04:19:23 AM

having time to take a glance with your motherboard seems that it has a 2 x PCI-E 12V 4Pin Connectors

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=865

Did you supply power on these two pins?

[/quote]

I did not supply those two pins. So I did,. The Computer now starts up with no flickering and I can open Nicehash. However, Nicehash still cannot get through the Benchmarking for GPU #2 ( this is the sixth one) The computer freezes during the benchmarking. I did reinstall the Nvidia drivers after connecting the 6th GPU but still the same problem. I disconnected the 6th Gpu and left the power to the 4 pin connectors. The miner would only recognize 4 GPU's?So I  dissconnected the power to the motherboard 4 pin connectors. Everything works perfect. Now I  have 5 GPU's up and running. Maybe I have a bad slot on the motherboard? or maybe the Nicehash miner just has a compatibility issue? Just seems weird. I am a complete beginner though. This is the first computer I have ever built so its probably a miracle it works at all :-). Thanks for the help this suggestion was very logical. And thanks for taking the time to search up and look at a picture of my motherboard.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: