Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:47:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending BTC - Priority Protocol  (Read 1160 times)
elements (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:10:19 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any documentation about the priority protocol when sending bitcoins. I sent 5 BTC 1,5 hrs ago and haven't got a single confirmation.

Yesterday I got the first confirmation for a small payment only after 8 hrs.

Both payments were made with transaction fees.

I'd like to understand the priority protocol better so that's why I'd like to know if there is a way to find out what priority a payment has.

Thank you!

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Use the trusted German Bitcoin exchange: https://www.bitcoin.de/de/r/5wcwts
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCrow

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

BTCrow.com

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 12:23:46 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any documentation about the priority protocol when sending bitcoins. I sent 5 BTC 1,5 hrs ago and haven't got a single confirmation.

Yesterday I got the first confirmation for a small payment only after 8 hrs.

Both payments were made with transaction fees.

I'd like to understand the priority protocol better so that's why I'd like to know if there is a way to find out what priority a payment has.

Thank you!

In fact transactions fee have nothing to do with priority or not. So you can use the patch to remove fees from the current bitcoin client.

First confirmation after 8 hours, I never saw that...  When you wait did you checked that site: http://www.bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/
will show you transactions (that he is aware of) unconfirmed and need to be processed. Also check at the bottom of your bitcoin client and make sure it's displaying X number of block equal to what are there: http://www.bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/

Hope this help Smiley

stakhanov

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:28:34 PM

Hi,

The problem as far as I understand it is that miners get to decide whether they include a transaction in a block, and they can decide this entirely arbitraly. Of course, transaction fees should be an incentive to include transactions in their block, but nothing forces them to do so.

@BTCrow : you need to document yourself before posting...
elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:30:11 PM

Thank you !

Yes, I checked the block count in my client and on bitcoin watch. It was equal.

Well, thanks for the info about transaction fees. I thought payments send with transaction fee are higher in priority...

»A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.« - Douglas Adams
Tips & donations: BTC : 1MAQYNLp2VJ9wWhPYg5BnrbUGzdhGXopZw | CGB: 5bgQivyHJcSWTgvLfVW87Zj23M7mcFCVBF
elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:42:15 PM

3 hours and 10 minutes

and still not one confirmation for a 5 BTC payment.

How is ist possible, that in approx. 20 blocks which have been created since sending there wasn't a single spot available for that payment.

Please can someone eleboarte ?

cloud9

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:46:19 PM

Check blockexplorer.com and paste the sent address to see if it has been distributed by the network yet.

If not re-run your client with the following flag:    bitcoin -rescan

and wait until at least 1 confirmation is showing before disconnecting your client from the network.

lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:02:02 PM

Are you positive it got broadcast?

Double click the transaction and see what it says - or search for it in the list of unincluded transactions at bitcoincharts/bitcoin
elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:07:38 PM

after i pressed "send" a new window opened asking for a transaction fee of 0.0005 BTC.
I clicked YES and then a new window opened "Paymente sent"

just like always (ok sometimes the fee window doesn't open and the "payment sent" window opens directly).

So, this really creeps me out, because it has never taken so long (except yesterday with the micropayment).

Funny thing is, that the receiving client already shows it - only without confirmations...

It would be really frustrating to loose 5 BTC that way!!!

elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:13:05 PM

OK, I finally got my first two confirmations.

So, thank you everyone for helping!

Still: is there any documentation on how sendings are categorized? When and how priorities are applied/changed? I think a lot of users would like to know!

Thanks again!

jerfelix

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:13:14 PM

Check your number of connections.

It's possible, I suppose, that you are connected to an "outpost" of the network, that isn't connected to the entire network.  For instance, if you have 0 connections, obviously your transaction is not going to reach the miners.  If you have 1 connection, and the person you are connected to only has 1 connection (i.e. back to you), then the transaction isn't going to make it to the miners.  If you have n connections to people who only have 1 connection (i.e. you), then it's not going anywhere.  And if you have n connections that are all interconnected but have no external connections to the network, then it's not going to make it to the miners.

qualia8

Activity: 237

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:14:47 PM

How many connections is your client showing?  Mine is often stuck at zero, and that can cause these long delays.
elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:08:27 PM

I'm using the latest client for Mac OSX v0.3.23

and I usually have 8 connections within a few minutes after starting the client.
(I also had 8 connections today and yesterday the whole time)

As far as I know there are no means to get info about how many connections in- and outbound I have via the 8 connections that are shown.

Man From The Future

Activity: 371

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:19:24 PM

I'm using the latest client for Mac OSX v0.3.23

and I usually have 8 connections within a few minutes after starting the client.
(I also had 8 connections today and yesterday the whole time)

As far as I know there are no means to get info about how many connections in- and outbound I have via the 8 connections that are shown.

All connections are inbound and outbound, as in, I can send and receive.

A client opens 8 connections to other clients, and allows other clients to connect to it. If you do not have ports forwarded correctly, others cannot connect to you, only you to them. Try ticking the enable UPNP box in your bitcoin client's settings, and then restarting. It should allow you to get more than 8 ocnnections, although this depends on your setup.

THE ONE STOP SOLUTION FOR THE CRYPTO WORLD
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Facebook   /  Twitter   /  Reddit   /  Medium   /  Youtube   /
      ▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄█████████████████▄
  █████▀▀  ███  ▀▀█████
 ████     █████     ████
████     ███████
███▀    ████ ████
███▄   ████   ████
████  ████▄▄▄▄▄████  ████
 ███████████████████████
  █████▄▄       ▄▄█████
   ▀█████████████████▀
      ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀                       ▀█▄
▄▄▄▄ ▄█                           █▄ ▄▄▄▄
█   ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███   █
▀▀█▀                                 ▀█▀▀
▄▀                                     ▀▄
▄▄▀▄▄▄▄                                 ▄▄▄▄▀▄▄
█       ▀▀▄                           ▄▀▀       █
█          █                         █          █
█▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█
▒▀▄       ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██       ▄▀▒
▒█▀▀▀▀▄▄  █              ▀              █  ▄▄▀▀▀▀█▒
▒█      █ ▀▄                           ▄▀ █      █▒
▒▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀  █▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀█  ▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▒
▒▒▒▀▄▄▄▄▄ █                             █ ▄▄▄▄▄▀▒▒▒
 ▒▒▒▒▒▒▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
elements (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:29:57 PM

I tried the upnp box twice but I only had 8 connections as per usual.

Furthermore I don't really know what the upnp means and if it decreases my client's/wallet's security...

codler

Activity: 191

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:48:41 PM

You can read more at wiki
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fee#Technical_info

priority = sum(input_value_in_base_units * input_age)/size_in_bytes

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: