Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:41:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Investing in Bitcoin  (Read 1315 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:48:45 AM

I love the Bitcoin concept.  Which is the best way to invest in the currency?

Is Bitcoin mining a profitable venture?

What about Litecoin?
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:51:23 AM

What about Litecoin?
1. Opinionated. Someone else will tell you.
2 and 3. http://www.coinish.com/calc/ and http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency to see how profitable (or not) mining is.
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:41:37 AM

If I buy an Avalon ASIC for $1300, I will make $80k/year?  What's the catch?
duravello

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:48:08 AM

If I buy an Avalon ASIC for $1300, I will make $80k/year?  What's the catch?

the difficulty increase by about 10-15% every 12 days, thus you wont get $80k in one year
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:50:56 AM

If I buy an Avalon ASIC for $1300, I will make $80k/year?  What's the catch?
You would make $80k a year if you'd receive your ASIC now, and nobody else would, and mining difficulty would stay the same. The mining difficulty is how much processing power it takes to mine a block, which depends on the total processing power in the network, which will significantly increase as soon as ASICs are actually being used in the field.

Having said that, I think Bitcoin is an extremely profitable investment. More so than Litecoins or other altcoins, they're just cheap spinoffs, Bitcoin is by far the largest and most popular. But I just simply buy my bitcoins directly, rather than going through all the trouble of mining them, which isn't even cheaper in the end (not even accounting for my time involved).

The BTC/EUR currency rate has been kinda volatile, but I'm in it for the long term and I expect a great future for Bitcoin (and the huge price rise that comes with that). The time, technology and social conditions for Bitcoin are ready. Everybody hates banks nowadays, but so far we've been highly dependent on them, well here's an alternative.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:51:53 AM

Bitcoin profitable or not depends on how early you had them

bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:03:41 AM

It sounds like maybe mining isn't the way to go.  Kazimir, how would you recommend buying Bitcoins for investment purposes?  coinbase.com?
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:52:15 AM

Try daytrading/speculation to invest.
bitbybit2

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:12:19 PM

What about Litecoin?

This is the best place to invest your bitcoins  http://rommel.2truth.com

Is Bitcoin mining a profitable business. Yes, contrary to what mainstream media is spreading, it is profitable.
bitbybit2

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:24:42 PM

It sounds like maybe mining isn't the way to go.  Kazimir, how would you recommend buying Bitcoins for investment purposes?  coinbase.com?

Online wallets like coinbase is not recommended to fetch your roi . Cold storage is the way to go.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:50:47 PM

Online wallets like coinbase is not recommended to fetch your roi . Cold storage is the way to go.

Yes, that's right. Online wallets can't be guaranteed to stay safe.
Bitcoin Merchant

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:20:54 PM

best way to invest in Bitcoins is simply to buy bitcoins
tstang

Activity: 178

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:24:23 PM

Hi,

is there a offline wallet that is free? The current one I am using always ask me to pay for transaction fees.
kjib

Activity: 39

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:29:41 PM

There are a few wallets but I thought most let you decide if you want to pay the transaction fee. That fee is meant to speed up your transfer so, if you want the coins to get there today, pay the fee I gather.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:33:27 PM

Hi,

is there a offline wallet that is free? The current one I am using always ask me to pay for transaction fees.
The fee is optional, but without it miners have no incentive to include your transaction in the blockchain. They may just abandon it and leave you with a hassle. You should pay the tiny fee, it is still the cheapest way by far to send money.
As far as investing... That is tricky. "Investing" in BTC is extremely risky and you should be prepared to loose everything. Bitcoin is not designed as an investment, it is a payment system and I would recommend thinking of it that way. But if you want to do it anyway for fun or whatever. Then start with 1 bitcoin and try selling it high, then buying it back low. Make a game of it!
Remember to also track what you put in and the value when you sell. You will be required to report any profits you make and pay capitol gains.
Good luck fellow peer!

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
PeterB

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:28:05 PM

I would invest in bitcoin companies, such as ASICMiner, or loans such as Graet Loan.

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:15:19 PM

How would you recommend I do this? 

How does that work?

I'm just trying to buy and hold some Bitcoins.  What should I do?
tospace2006

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:33:41 PM

me too
mewsie

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:38:33 PM

How would you recommend I do this?  

How does that work?

I'm just trying to buy and hold some Bitcoins.  What should I do?

Hello fellow forum members,

I'm a long time lurker that decided to get into BTC and LTC investing / trading after doing some very simple mining at home for the past few months.

As to bitcoinrocks question:

How do you acquire bitcoins? Join an exchange like Mt. Gox or BTC-e or Camp-BX or similar (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Buying_bitcoins)

Be prepared to wait for a while to get verified (due to Anti-Money Laundering requirements, also referred to as AML), and be prepared to wait for a while for your bank deposit or transfer to show up. A lot of people put money into a fund transfer service like Dwolla, and then send their money on to the exchange, where you change those dollars or euros into BTC or LTC or whatever currency you're interested in.

How do you store your BTC? You need a wallet, check out this "getting started" (http://www.weusecoins.com/en/getting-started) or this site (http://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet). Keep in mind that you have to have different wallets for BTC and LTC because they are different coins based on different blockchains. Its like having a USD denominated bank account, and another for EUR or GBP.

How do you make a profit with BTC and LTC? Simple - buy low, sell high... same as it has always been. You build a portfolio with a variety of risks, watch the markets for trends, crunch your own numbers, build experience, and be blessed with more good luck than bad.

That's it  Cool

And there is my first post!
aceking

Activity: 229

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:39:22 PM

better buy bitcoins because mining difficulty will skyrocket

you can see it here http://bitcoindifficulty.com/
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: