Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 10:26:58 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ** Breaking News ** Run 12 AMD GPUs on Windows  (Read 1189 times)
rebelmalangi (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:40:59 PM

Hi Guys,
             Now you can run upto 12 AMD GPUs on Windows, Watch details on below link.

https://youtu.be/1fyxT6bd-hY
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:43:18 PM

** Breaking News ** Run 12 21 GPUs on Windows

https://youtu.be/miUoqnUqk9M?t=3285
Miner4ever

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:51:31 PM

What is point to have lots of cards if drivers not included dag fix?
Nice that peoples from amd start to working for us miners who made their sell rates record level, but they not working enought.  Sad
xingqiaoyin

Activity: 395
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:26:02 PM

Nice that peoples from amd start to working for us miners who made their sell rates record level, but they not working enought.  Sad

how about the know how of getting 21 cards work in one mobo ?  Roll Eyes
there's one time when getting more than 5 cards working is a week long endeavor ?  Roll Eyes
deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 09:11:54 PM

The driver that enables 8+ AMD cards also has the DAG fix built in, so I don't know what you are complaining about ...

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 09:29:11 PM

works for me with 10 with new drivers atm
ala12uk

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:39:58 PM

** Breaking News ** Run 12 21 GPUs on Windows

https://youtu.be/miUoqnUqk9M?t=3285

I just want to make it clear that if you are a huge of of AMD, then you can run MAX of 13 GPUs on a single motherboard as shown on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miUoqnUqk9M&feature=youtu.be&t=3285

However, if you are a huge fan on Nvidia then you won the lottery, you can indeed run 19 GPUs on a single motherboard all from the same vendor

The interesting question here is,
When will AMD remove this limit of 13 GPUs, and why their drivers search for P106 after you have reached the 13 GPU limit and will not accept any further AMD GPUs?

Does anyone know?
I think BBT mentioned that he has opened a ticket for AMD and i doubt that he has already gotten an answer on that
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:50:27 PM

Other than the coolness factor do you really need to run more than 13 GPU's off of the same motherboard? I know there is economics of scale, but these motherboards cost more as well, offsetting the savings gained. Plus you need extra PSUs, more memory and a bigger SSD. So adding all this up the cost savings really isn't a lot more than say 2 smaller rigs.

Also, a point that has been argued before, if the rig experiences issues, then you have 19, 21, or however many GPUs you manage to get running down at once versus with smaller rigs you would have maybe 8 GPUs down while the others would remain running. While these videos are nice to watch for the geek factor, it seems to be pointless after a certain limit.
reflector

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:16:23 PM

Other than the coolness factor do you really need to run more than 13 GPU's off of the same motherboard? I know there is economics of scale, but these motherboards cost more as well, offsetting the savings gained. Plus you need extra PSUs, more memory and a bigger SSD. So adding all this up the cost savings really isn't a lot more than say 2 smaller rigs.

Also, a point that has been argued before, if the rig experiences issues, then you have 19, 21, or however many GPUs you manage to get running down at once versus with smaller rigs you would have maybe 8 GPUs down while the others would remain running. While these videos are nice to watch for the geek factor, it seems to be pointless after a certain limit.

6 rigs are suggestable to use in the mining rig right! One rig can give 6 card pci riser I think. How it is possible that we can run a 12 GPU cards in the one processors with the windows os.
Since it has the riser limit of one PCI slot with the 6 cables are only gives 6 cards options. Please explain me clearly.
Usainbot

Activity: 29

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:21:19 PM

6 rigs are suggestable to use in the mining rig right! One rig can give 6 card pci riser I think. How it is possible that we can run a 12 GPU cards in the one processors with the windows os.
Since it has the riser limit of one PCI slot with the 6 cables are only gives 6 cards options. Please explain me clearly.

I will stick with the 6GPU rigs for now.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 05:54:15 PM

The newer motherboards support more than 6 PCIe slots, and indeed they already have board configurations with 8, 12, 13, and higher PCIe slots which is what this post is about. Also, Windows and AMD/Nvidia drivers have recently been modified to allow this many GPUs to run, where in the past there were software limitations.

My point is while it is now possible to run this many GPUs, at which point does it still make sense to do so. The motherboards typically cost more and from what I read you also need to increase the physical memory and SSD sizes to accommodate the increased memory/swap file requirements of supporting so many GPUs. It is possible you may even need to use a more robust processor that the typical Celeron often used and you definitely need extra PSUs to power everything. So when you add up all these costs as well as the extra headaches of trying to get it all working, is it really better to run a 19 GPU rig versus 2 or 3 smaller rigs?
s3c70r

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 03:48:44 PM

Worst case scenario the costs remains the same.

Still, you end up managing only one rig instead of 3-4.

Saving space on my switch, my kvm over ip appliance and less ethernet cables, it is worth as I save here.

If you don't have a farm, for sure you won't see the benefits.

Power supplies are dependent on the number of GPU you run, You can't include them in the equation as you would for more ram and bigger ssd.

Same goes for pcie risers.
TRexMcStubyArms

Activity: 210

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 03:58:52 PM

This.  You have the redundancy and up time factor of having multiple rigs and not working every piece of hardware component to its fullest capacity all the time.  Decent MBs, mem, and a PSU are the inexpensive parts of a rig anyway.
phase2

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:58:43 PM

Not everything is profit, trying to run many gpus on a single board is mostly hobby related nowadays.
s3c70r

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:05:59 AM

Running more GPUs on a single motherboard is like running more VMs on a blade.

Look how VMWare is successfull and watch next gen mobos become as successfull.
FlowLive

Activity: 63

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:31:12 AM

Saving space on my switch, my kvm over ip appliance and less ethernet cables, it is worth as I save here.

Power supplies are dependent on the number of GPU you run, You can't include them in the equation as you would for more ram and bigger ssd.

Well you don't even need bigger ssd's... same size is fine.

I got 13 on a Celeron with 4GB but 16GB swap
s3c70r

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:03:24 PM

Well you don't even need bigger ssd's... same size is fine.

I got 13 on a Celeron with 4GB but 16GB swap

True. Same size ssd with 21. 60GB ssd in my case. 32GB swap ( overkill ).

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2338482.msg25328434#msg25328434
evlo

Activity: 155
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 25, 2017, 04:20:58 PM

Any drivers that support 12 cards and claymore OC works with them at the same time?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: