Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:25:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: On "Bitcoin Gold" and similar  (Read 825 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:21:03 PM

Anyone can create a Bitcoin-derived altcoin like "Bitcoin Gold" (BTG) at any time with no cost. BTG is a scammy cash-grab with no ideology and no economic support, not something serious like Bcash was. That's not to say that it's impossible to make money by trading it, just like with other scamcoins, but I'm not going to get into the habit of writing announcements and guidance for every Bitcoin-derived scamcoin. If you want to do a dangerous replay-unprotected coin-split maneuver in order to claim tiny fractions of your BTC in airdrop value, that's on you.

I will write a guide later for B2X (split time in mid-November), which is more serious. After that, the bar is going to be awfully high to get me to announce similar things.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Puff Pastry Hangman

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 10:26:09 PM

I'm new here so genuine question: is getting you to announce a fork a step towards making it a fork that people will talk about?

Curious about what the mechanisms are through which a fork becomes something that people care about. I'm guessing there have been plenty of "forks" that didn't garner much/any attention and quietly disappeared?
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 10:34:28 PM

If you want to do a dangerous replay-unprotected coin-split maneuver in order to claim tiny fractions of your BTC in airdrop value, that's on you.
Maybe a good point to add is that if people want to proceed anyway, they should first send their Bitcoins to a completely new Bitcoin address, wait for at least one confirmation to come through, and then do what they want.

It's mind boggling how people are desperately looking to claim their BTG's, but completely discard the lack of replay protection. I guess the dumb people will only learn when they make a fatal mistake resulting in severe losses.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
clip123

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:54:03 AM

If you want to do a dangerous replay-unprotected coin-split maneuver in order to claim tiny fractions of your BTC in airdrop value, that's on you.
Maybe a good point to add is that if people want to proceed anyway, they should first send their Bitcoins to a completely new Bitcoin address, wait for at least one confirmation to come through, and then do what they want.

It's mind boggling how people are desperately looking to claim their BTG's, but completely discard the lack of replay protection. I guess the dumb people will only learn when they make a fatal mistake resulting in severe losses.

Yea and come here asking for help on how to recover bitcoin when they did nothing wrong. Ignorance is a bliss.

@theymos, can you please check your pm please
anonyme69

Activity: 35

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 02:35:17 PM

it looks like this news right

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2320060.0
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2017, 03:02:47 PM

Why is this in Meta?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
dYnamxX

Activity: 52

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 03:07:05 PM

After BTG  new Altcoin Bitcoin silver  (all this altcoins just try to use bitcoin name)

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2311582.0
hasyurt

Activity: 602
Merit: 118

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:38:09 PM

bitcoin gold bitcoin silver does not matter. As a result, every new coin can not go to the place of copy quality. bitcoin always the top
descarte

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 12:53:38 AM

bitcoin gold is a stupid idea and bitcoin [whatever] will be the same. It will not solve decentralization in mining. At the end of the day, centralization will still happen with a country with the cheapest electricity, manpower and coldest climate, ie currently China or any upcoming power. Thats the downside of POW irregardless you use ASICS, GPU or CPU. ASICS is just making it worst. It's as simple as that.

The way I see it, we haven't really made much progress after bitcoin and ethereum. Some coins are better while all the others are simply crap, cloning after cloning. Its all greed and power and cloning bitcoin is the greediest and least effort to become rich overnight. But this its causing a lot of harm to the crypo industry and reputation. All legitimate potential alt coins project couldn't take off because everyone is re-investing in bitcoin again waiting for new fork and getting free money. The crypto market is controlled by traders who again don't really care about the future and innovation. Driven by greed, they can lower the confidence of good coins overnight by affecting the price for a long time. sad. period.

Technological revolution comes with heavy responsibilities. Greedy people just destroy the ecosystem. I don't believe you can be totally free from central governance and we are now seeing the side effects of it.
nndep3m

Activity: 140
Merit: 13

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 01:43:18 AM

Its funny here there have been a lot of scamcoins that have gained wide popularity and trading volume simply because they're based off a nice name of already famous coins (such as BTC/Eth) and nothing more. No whitepaper, no site, just a nice name and they get huge market capitalization. Its quite unbelievable really.

Rosewater Foundation

Activity: 392
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 06:34:27 AM

Why is this in Meta?

Because a sum of money is a leading character in this tale about people, just as a sum of honey might properly be a leading character in a tale about bees.

Knowledge-Princes of Earth-man, come to my lone presence into this Vortex named Kansas
MarcusMillstrom

Activity: 392
Merit: 211

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 09:14:55 AM

Yea and come here asking for help on how to recover bitcoin when they did nothing wrong. Ignorance is a bliss.

@theymos, can you please check your pm please

But meanwhile they expect miracles.
But we must also note that there are also people who still have to learn for them, it's really a flop.
We all have to learn at some point. We should all have learned at some point to.

ansi

Activity: 882
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 11:25:09 PM

I totally agree with what you just said, too bad crypto started to have the bad smell with these useless forks.

The forking within crypto currency tends to make more money for some bunch of people no matter how they claim it's for " the greater good ".

Forking BTC will never stop right now, BUT the good thing about it is that it will make the Original BTC more valuable next coming months & years.

Forking these days becoming a Kido games who have no real time to live their lives.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: