Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:57:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin encryption - Encapsulate a client in Linux CD boot image for ALL users!!  (Read 1692 times)
cloud9 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:21:48 PM

All users should use a dedicated partition, removable boot media to use the Bitcoin client - a free licence Linux image file can be created for non-tech savvy (linux and windows) users - they just burn it to a cd and boot their computer with it - complete with the client.  Wallet.dat is stored on dedicated removable usb drive during this boot session.  Only Bitcoin should be used on this boot session.  Restart your computer before doing anything else.

Optional, but not necessary if the operating system / boot record environment is sterile:

Just before the encrypted client closes - it creates a onetime flickering captcha completion puzzle (preventing screen capture) that should be entered at subsequent opening.

If at reopening captcha is incorrect - the past 10 or all such captcha's should be entered to unlock.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:30:22 PM

Seems unnecessarily complicated - isn't it good enough to just boot from a known clean boot CD (with Internet detached), then store the newly generated public addresses on a separate flash drive from the encrypted wallet?  The addresses can then be taken to another computer and used to send coins to the wallet that's locked up on the secure USB stick that has never been exposed to the Internet.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
cloud9 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:37:47 PM

Seems unnecessarily complicated - isn't it good enough to just boot from a known clean boot CD (with Internet detached), then store the newly generated public addresses on a separate flash drive from the encrypted wallet?  The addresses can then be taken to another computer and used to send coins to the wallet that's locked up on the secure USB stick that has never been exposed to the Internet.

Yes should be all that's necessary - The bitcoin.org site can make such an .iso image file of the necessary linux boot cd (with a client included) available for all to download and burn to a cd - for ease of use to all users (savvy / non-savvy users).  Then the non-savvy user can just burn it to a cd, put it in the drive when he wants to run the client and boot the cd into a secure linux environment with automatic client startup - without requiring any linux knowledge.  Thus allowing everyone to easily used free-licensed linux bootup without requiring prior knowledge of linux.

joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:54:11 PM

All of the above is likely too complicated for non-techsavvy users.

Basically anything more than running through a setup wizard (that explains things in simple terms) is too complicated. Separate boot CDs etc is too "foreign" for those that are not very familiar with computers.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
cloud9 (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:59:37 PM

Basically anything more than running through a setup wizard (that explains things in simple terms) is too complicated. Separate boot CDs etc is too "foreign" for those that are not very familiar with computers.

Anyone that can connect to the internet, download a file and burn it to a cd, and switch on a computer should be able to do that - That should include roughly all internet content download users.

All the rest will be automated by the team that compiles the .iso file.

joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:14:13 PM

Anyone that can connect to the internet, download a file and burn it to a cd, and switch on a computer should be able to do that - That should include roughly all internet content download users.

All the rest will be automated by the team that compiles the .iso file.
It's not about how complicated it is, but about the psychological barrier.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
aeroSpike

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:23:17 PM

I am working on a Lubuntu based Live CD as a demo system for the software that we're selling.
I am using http://remastersys.com to create the Live CD/DVD image from a running system. Creating it is trivial.
Using http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ you can create a bootable USB stick, including a persistent area for the .bitcoin folder with wallet.
You could also create a VirtualBox image, and use that.

My mother would not touch it, but my wife probably would.
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:17:02 PM

At some point I donated 1 BTC to someone working on this kind of project, though I don't remember who.  In any case, I'm willing to donate more, probably smaller amount this time, but still.
aeroSpike

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:24:17 PM

At some point I donated 1 BTC to someone working on this kind of project, though I don't remember who.  In any case, I'm willing to donate more, probably smaller amount this time, but still.

I'll do one for 15 BTC and publish it as a Torrent if there's enough interest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: