Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:28:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux nvidia drivers  (Read 237 times)
CryptoSquad (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:03:54 AM

Hi All

I use Cyclenerds ethminer image (https://github.com/Cyclenerd/ethereum_nvidia_miner) and its excellent

One question i have is that it uses Nvidia Driver Version: 381.22 

Will i notice any performance increase if i upgrade these to the latest one's found on Nvidia's website? ( 384.90 )

Let me know

Thanks!
bitfools

Activity: 112
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:31:36 AM

Hi All

I use Cyclenerds ethminer image (https://github.com/Cyclenerd/ethereum_nvidia_miner) and its excellent

One question i have is that it uses Nvidia Driver Version: 381.22  

Will i notice any performance increase if i upgrade these to the latest one's found on Nvidia's website? ( 384.90 )

Let me know

Thanks!

384 is preferrable, I'll tell you why, on linux there is no GUI like windows to config the over-drive/over-clock stuff,

Only 384 has the nvidia-settings/nvidia-smi cmd-line properly setup to allow you to control fan and memory clock, thus if you want to get the full power out of your CUDA-CARDS I would be running 384

In summary if you care to roll up your sleeves in the cmd-line world of "nvidia-settings" then go for 384, if you don't have any desire to max the over-clock potential then stay with a older release.

If your a newb & don't know what I said above, then google the stuff below and learn what it does ..

#!/bin/bash

sudo nvidia-xconfig -a --cool-bits=28

[ the above is a special flag that enables the following ]

nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:2]/GPUGraphicsMemoryOffset[3]=100'

nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:2]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=100'

nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:2]/GPUFanControlState=1'

nvidia-settings -a '[fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'

# you need to run the above everytime you boot the machine

#!/usr/bin/env bash

nvidia-smi --format=csv --query-gpu=name,power.draw,fan.speed,temperature.gpu,clocks.video,clocks.mem

# this is just a diagnostic script, so you can see the current settings before you fiddle

# memory transfer rate is the critical on cuda for ethminer or equihash +500 for gtx-160 +1500 for Gtx-1070, and +1800 for Gtx-1080
# graphics is best kept below +150 it doesn't do much for equi or eth mining, same for all cards

# keep you power below 60% of max rating with "nvidia-smi -pl N -i M" where N is watts ( 95 for gtx-1060-6), and M is the i' card in smi

nvidia-xconfig -a --allow-empty-initial-configuration --cool-bits=31 --use-display-device="DFP-0" --connected-monitor="DFP-0"

#You need to run line everytime you add or remove cards.

CryptoSquad (OP)

Activity: 60

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:32:27 AM

I use all of the above commands you mentioned already with 381
bitfools

Merit: 12

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:44:08 AM

I use all of the above commands you mentioned already with 381

Ok, good for you, I found they didn't work in 375 or earlier, they changed how you did  this stuff

So it sounds like 384 buys you nothing Smiley

For me on my cards I could never modify the transfer rates on the gpu until I had 384 running, earlier device driver had the commands, but they didn't do anything, after I installed 384 everything started working perfectly,  I think I went from 375 to 384, & I'm quite pleased now that it all works
at10ti0n

Activity: 16

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:53:21 AM

As cyclernerd said awhile ago, don't touch a running system Wink
starl1ng

Merit: 10

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 09:31:11 AM

Did anyone run into something like this:
I have 2 1080 cards, and when i set these options (or similar):

Code:
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:1]/GPUFanControlState=1'
nvidia-settings -a '[fan:1]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'
nvidia-settings -a '[gpu:2]/GPUFanControlState=1'
nvidia-settings -a '[fan:2]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=80'

One of the cards works as expected, but another one's power consumption and clocks get halved (as shown by the 'nvidia-smi dmon'). Both fans blow like hell, the 'good' card temperature keeps at reasonable 70-75c , so i don't think it's something to do with overheating and throttling.

Coolbits were set correctly in Xorg.conf to allow modifying the fan control state.
htotoo

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:07:16 AM

Hello
I use 384 / 381 with Claymore's miner.
You can change, but I didn't noticed any change (power or mhs)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: