Bitcoin Forum
July 06, 2024, 11:22:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why do i mine so slow?  (Read 1958 times)
elor70 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:55:50 PM

hey all im new to bitcoin so i started mining today with guiminer at triplemining pool,i only mine at 2.2 Mash and im probably doing something wrong,i saw some pepole talk about mining at 500 Mash+ ,am i doing anything wrong?
my rig: GPU:AMD HD 5850
CPU:CORE I5 2400

Bitcoin Merchant

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:07:04 PM

Your doing nothing wrong, you need another rig.
elor70 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:09:46 PM

Your doing nothing wrong, you need another rig.

how come? some pepole here in the forum has 30mhas with 8800GT and pepole with the same rig as me get 100mash
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=21112.0

Bitcoin Merchant

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:12:27 PM

What else could possibly be wrong>?
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:14:18 PM

Your miner is probably mining on the CPU instead of the GPU. (It's been a long time since I used GUIMiner -- assuming you have up-to-date drivers, you should see options to mine either on the i5 or the AMD card in the "dashboard" tab)

Or you're mining a Scrypt coin like LTC, in which case, your 5850 will mine dramatically "slower" than mining something like BTC.

ETA: Looked at Triplemining -- they only do BTC. I'm going to assume it's mining either on the CPU, or you're running a computer with integrated graphics on the MoBo which GUIMiner is using to mine instead of the 5850. The simplest fix as far as troubleshooting goes, would probably be to download the BitMinter client @ http://bitminter.com/ and let us know if it starts hashing faster.
Bitcoin Merchant

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:16:15 PM

yea the person above me knows what hes talking about.
elor70 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:22:34 PM

Your miner is probably mining on the CPU instead of the GPU. (It's been a long time since I used GUIMiner -- assuming you have up-to-date drivers, you should see options to mine either on the i5 or the AMD card in the "dashboard" tab)

Or you're mining a Scrypt coin like LTC, in which case, your 5850 will mine dramatically "slower" than mining something like BTC.

thanks,that seems to be the problem,i created a new opencl miner tab and i get 200mash now,another question can mining degrade my video card?my computer now starts lagging when i mine and i hope this will not damage my pc

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:34:37 PM

thanks,that seems to be the problem,i created a new opencl miner tab and i get 200mash now,another question can mining degrade my video card?my computer now starts lagging when i mine and i hope this will not damage my pc
Heat + time = degradation. Watching a video technically shortens the card's life span, but most electronics will fail due to manufacturer defects before actual electromigration effects. I incidentally ran 7 5850s when GPU mining for roughly a year, and none of them failed even though they ran 100% 24/7 overclocked. The important thing to do is monitor temperature of the cards and try to make sure they're never going above 80*C. Work load and degradation don't go directly hand-in-hand -- it's the heat from the work load which you need to watch.

There are a few ways to lower heat... the easiest for enclosed computers is to just take the side of the case off. You want to clean it every couple months, and if you have heat problems in Summer, might want to consider undervolting it. You can often undervolt the card 20-30mV without needing to underclock it for stability, reducing heat (extending the card's life), increasing efficiency, and not impacting performance at all. Alternately, can use a box fan, or just not run it while it's hot out.

To prevent lagging, you want to lower the intensity (or whatever sounds similar in the mining program of config file, in some of them it's called "PRIORITY" or something else) to somewhere where the graphics aren't "stuttering" but you're still getting a good hashrate. Incidentally, this will probably also significantly reduce the heat output.
zion22

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:42:41 PM

Your PC lagging probably because u using all GPU`s, mining PC should be kept only for mining
elor70 (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:43:19 PM

Heat + time = degradation. Watching a video technically shortens the card's life span, but most electronics will fail due to manufacturer defects before actual electromigration effects. I incidentally ran 7 5850s when GPU mining for roughly a year, and none of them failed even though they ran 100% 24/7 overclocked. The important thing to do is monitor temperature of the cards and try to make sure they're never going above 80*C. Work load and degradation don't go directly hand-in-hand -- it's the heat from the work load which you need to watch.

There are a few ways to lower heat... the easiest for enclosed computers is to just take the side of the case off. You want to clean it every couple months, and if you have heat problems in Summer, might want to consider undervolting it. You can often undervolt the card 20-30mV without needing to underclock it for stability, reducing heat (extending the card's life), increasing efficiency, and not impacting performance at all. Alternately, can use a box fan, or just not run it while it's hot out.

To prevent lagging, you want to lower the intensity (or whatever sounds similar in the mining program of config file, in some of them it's called "PRIORITY" or something else) to somewhere where the graphics aren't "stuttering" but you're still getting a good hashrate. Incidentally, this will probably also significantly reduce the heat output.

does manually increasing the fan speed helps cool the GPU?

NoBit

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 05:49:08 PM

Type this in the Extra field:  -v -w256 -f1
Also download Trixx Utility and overclock a bit till you find the balance. Use 'custom' feature in the fans tab.

Bitrated user: nobit.
PeterB

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 06:26:53 PM

Have you tried mining litecoins?

Mine bitcoins with you mind!  Play poker at Seals with Clubs!  Now with mixed games, stud games, and multiple variants of OFC!  These games are not offered on any other bitcoin poker site!  Sign up with me, PeterB, as your referral and I can help you with eBooks, strategy and more!  PM me for more details.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:31:13 PM

does manually increasing the fan speed helps cool the GPU?

Yep. The fan should be going full-throttle when the GPU's dangerously hot, but sometimes not.
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 06:09:26 PM

Try mining in a pool with additional GPUs
nor9872

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 06:29:14 PM

Try building a decent mining rig.