Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:55:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Japan’s GMO Plans to Sell 7nm Bitcoin Mining Boards Using Token Sale  (Read 1911 times)
CarrollFilms

Activity: 156
Merit: 100

Can I eat a Bitcoin?

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:41:24 PM

Yea, maybe by 2019 we'll see this kind of technology in our phones. But I highly doubt it's even far from being ready to mine with.

Back in my day Bitcoin used to cost $69

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
boyno

Activity: 19
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 18, 2018, 12:44:53 PM
Merited by RoadStress (1)

"GMO’s 7nm ASIC Chips
The design logic of the 7nm chip has already been completed, Kumagai said. “The overwhelming competitive advantage is confirmed,” he added. “Next-generation semiconductors, which are under development based on an exclusive agreement with partners, are expected to operate with about 56% of the power of comparable performance, and the test version is expected to be completed in 2018,” Techwave conveyed. Mass production of the 7nm chips will begin in May of next year."

https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/GMO-Chip-PCI.png
https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/GMO-Chip.png
https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/GMO-Chip3.png
https://news.bitcoin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/rack.png

Went from 1st Q 2018 to May of 2019.  On the GMO mining website when they get down into giberish about new chips they say they plan to start R&D and based on the result start consumer production. To me its like announcing Im gona start selling a 50TH miner that you wear on your wrist like a watch, it runs off body heat and a tiny tank that you must keep topped off with 3 drops of fresh warm urine. 10 billion dollars per half hour! I just need ya'll to buy my token, whos with me?
btcrealm

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 06:31:18 AM

NODEhaven you may be right on the others fudging their definition of what a 7nm chip is but it should still be better than the leading current product (S9).
Here is the TSMC article that people are talking about (I'm not sure if this is the original one, the same article is on multiple sites).
http://bitcoinglobal.news/chip-giant-tsmc-expects-strong-demand-for-cryptocurrency-mining-to-continue/

The chips that are used for mining are not as complex as what would be used in a phone or for multitasking.  An ASICs chip is single very fast processing, not a lot of swapping with memory and multiple threads.  It may be easier due to the lack of complexity.

BTCRealm
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 07:54:38 AM

TSMC 7NM is defintely an improvement over current 14/16 nm processes.

While ASIC chips might be "simpler" in basic design than smartphone chips, the are a LOT higher power density and push the limits of the process JUST as hard if not harder.
 They also aren't noticeably lower DENSITY if at all - which actually pushes the power density harder 'cause there is less "not in use right this second" circuitry using up chip space.

I can't read that article that was posted because of the bloody "pop-up that covers the entire page AND WON'T GIVE YOU A TURN IT OFF OPTION.

I hate web sites that DO that sort of garbage, even when you CAN turn the irritation garbage off.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 08:01:51 AM

"GMO’s 7nm ASIC Chips
The design logic of the 7nm chip has already been completed

Which is a long EXPEN$IVE way away from having working engineering samples to prove working silicon, much less PRODUCTION silicon.

Do I expect someone (probably more than one someone) to come out with an S9 beater on the 7/10 nm node? YES.
 Do I expect it in 2018? Not only "NO" but "PRETTY MUCH DEFINITELY HELL NO".
 Do I expect it in 2019 sometime? Probably.

Samsung appears to be in production (in small "trial proof of technology" mode) on their 10nm node, so I expect their next smartphone design will probably use a 10nm chip.
 Intel has already announced production of 10nm CPUs for later this year - they HAVE been working on that longer than pretty much anyone else, so it's not a shock if they get to market first.

GF and TSMC "7nm" looks to be hitting small scale engineering proof production levels late this year, and probably won't hit full production levels for months to a year after that.

Also expect YIELDS to be very poor for the first year at least, based on experience with the LAST TWO production nodes.

Then we get to start thinking about the issue with the "next node" and both Intel and IBM stating the CURRENT node is "end of the road for pure silicon"....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Sandal_Hat

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:43:54 PM

I guess the only risk if is a sudden breakthrough occurs for the 7nm chips. Otherwise, it should take some time.

Selling 100 dollar coupons (8units expire 11th June, 14 units expire 1st july) and 125 dollar coupon (2 unit exp 30th June). Selling at 20% of value
crypto_curious

Activity: 924
Merit: 175

View Profile
January 19, 2018, 10:46:09 PM

here ids the source  : https://news.bitcoin.com/japans-gmo-7nm-bitcoin-mining-boards-token-sale/
- this is the the highlights of this products :
Each card will be able to mine at a projected 8 terahashes per second or more with a power consumption of only 300 watts

it is more power effecient than the leading bitmain s9 antminer today if we need to a 16 tera hash it will only need 600 watts of power compare to a 1 kilowatt s9 miners. but the only problem is the sale is thru token or ICO sale. so this project is not for everyone as Japanese ICO regulation means stricter customer KYC requirements.

Bitcoin.com? I was goint to read it but stench of that website stopped me cold in the middle of mouse clickn Cheesy
Megaquake

Activity: 630
Merit: 506

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2018, 12:44:59 AM

Cutting-edge 7 nm process technology for chips will be used in the mining process, and GMO Internet will continue to work on research and development, using the next-generation mining boards in the mining process in the first half of 2018.

https://www.gmo.jp/en/news/article/?id=764

Mines at Kano.is best profit in the world!

在Kano.is的BTC
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2524

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 03:25:19 AM
Merited by Khurram Bin Kamal (1)

Still just pie-in-the-sky PR to raise monies via their token sales.
Some recent insight re: 10nm and lower nodes. Pay attention to the parts about the cost and number of masks/steps needed when using non-EUV light sources.

Current node size points and costs

*can* 7nm be done without EUV?  A very cautious 'yes' if cost and production rates are no object but it will NOT be happening in this year before Q4. Otherwise 2019 is still a very safe guesstimate before any production-ready processes are starting up assuming the remaining hurdles to the EUV sources can be solved.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
digger888

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:00:38 AM

Some recent insight re: 10nm and lower nodes. Pay attention to the parts about the cost and number of masks/steps needed when using non-EUV light sources.

*can* 7nm be done without EUV?  A very cautious 'yes' if cost and production rates are no object but it will NOT be happening in this year before Q4. Otherwise 2019 is still a very safe guesstimate before any production-ready processes are starting up assuming the remaining hurdles to the EUV sources can be solved.

Thanks for sharing the link as it is a very informative presentation. There may be a situation whereby Bitmain can release 10nm before going to 7nm. It may not be a significant leap but it is an incremental improvement. If I were running Bitmain, I would release 10nm to sell more hardware. Let's the GMO and other competitors struggle and waste valuable resources on the 7nm technology. Once the 7nm technology is released, it will only be an incremental improvement from Bitmain's 10nm. After the competition completed their development, I would quickly copy it and release Bitmain's 7nm. I would flood the market with 7nm antminers at a lower price and take out my competitors before they can recoup their R&D cost.

Do you think that I am ruthless enough to apply for a job at Bitmain?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 03:57:58 AM

Right, because openly stealing is a good business strategy.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
NODEhaven

Activity: 57
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 05:15:41 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2018, 05:29:08 AM by NODEhaven

*can* 7nm be done without EUV?  A very cautious 'yes' if cost and production rates are no object but it will NOT be happening in this year before Q4. Otherwise 2019 is still a very safe guesstimate before any production-ready processes are starting up assuming the remaining hurdles to the EUV sources can be solved.

The 7c looks like a good middle of road target for 2019. 5 EUV masks.

That may be why GMO is saying 1st test 7nm Miner in 2018 presumably before EUV introduction. Then full-scale production is moved over to 7c when production begins.  Idk, there could be other reasons.

If GMO does meet their targets for this year then I doubt the just make one or two miners.  Do you think prototype is code for we are building a large scale mining facility?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: