Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:01:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Most user friendly wallet.dat file storage GUI?  (Read 1401 times)
i.Bitcoin (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

This thread is about asking community members for an advice and suggestions also pointing me, and hopefully others, to the right direction towards solution of this topic...

i've been dealing with people of age 60 and up in regards to basic computer usage over a dozen years, and i can tell you - it can be complicated...
Another day had a discussion with the 64 years young gentleman who has no basic knowledge of any type of OS but knows how to check/reply his gmail account on any device screen presented to him with browser opened Smiley
He brought up BTC since noticed huge price change in a last few month Shocked and asked how he could invest a few btc for his 3 grandchildren?
-I've told him that probably the best idea would be to ask any relative or friend, using computer with any operating system on it, to download client and buy some coins for him and than safely transfer to 3 separate usb drives which later he can put them to something like safety deposit boxes and let them know about their existence 20 or ? years later....

Is there an easier approach to this case such as small gui app on the usb key transferring and saving wallet.dat file or something like Sugar on the Stick distro running autonomous on the usb key along with Electrum or similar possible?

Thank YOU All!

P.S. i would really like to see those people achieve the result themselves without help of others with a minimum computer skills in near future.   
Please keep in mind that community of this age is paranoid about security and they read news papers about an identity theft, bitcoin theft Etc....

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:09:55 AM

USB's have the possibility of losing their charge over that period of time, so I wouldn't recommend that as the only source of the private keys for safe storage.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:39:41 AM

Paper wallet on good acid free paper printed with laser printers should be one of the safer bets. USB sticks can be used additionally, but I wouldn't rely too much on them.

Alternatively carve the private key into a metal bar (e.g. aluminium), not too hard to do and also quite stable. Smiley

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
i.Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:27:33 PM

USB's have the possibility of losing their charge over that period of time, so I wouldn't recommend that as the only source of the private keys for safe storage.

You're right! As of today the most relevant would be probably this:
https://i.imgur.com/myUyoVJ.png
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:35:15 PM

Write the private key on a piece of paper. That should last decades.

Make sure you don't make a writing mistake. Wink
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:41:51 PM

That depends a lot on the paper and also the pen. I wouldn't aim for decades with just any random fake sharpie + that free college block with a company logo that you got in a hand out...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
tinus42

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:58:58 PM

That depends a lot on the paper and also the pen. I wouldn't aim for decades with just any random fake sharpie + that free college block with a company logo that you got in a hand out...

I still have notes which I wrote over 20 years ago, which were written with a cheap pen on ordinary note paper.

My mum has diaries of my grandmother which were written before the war. All still perfectly legible.

Now if you want to preserve the private keys for CENTURIES it's of course different. But I think by the coins will have either been long spent by your descendants or Bitcoin has become irrevelant. Wink
raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:29:41 PM

You're right! As of today the most relevant would be probably this:

That's pretty cool, I haven't heard of M-Discs before. Nice and safe for all of your private keys Tongue

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
i.Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:39:47 PM

i don't think that paper note as of securing their investement for 20 years or >?, would be good introduction to the whole project of Bitcoin network.
My 64 years old friend is writing notes but forgets where he put them next day...
i was thinking about exactly oposite such as encrypting private key in text file on the same media and giving password to the parents so they can be sure that grandchildren don't have an access for this certain period of time.
The solution i guess is in the software, so any of these people (with minimum computer skills) were able to transfer a wallet loaded BTC with a few clicks to selected media without seeing scripts, codes and the rest more confusing sea of symbols.
Don't know how many of you are familiar with Sugar on the Stick linux distribution but it's learning platform for kids or other groups of ages with no computer experience at all. This what i imagine woud work if there is simple graphical user interface with a few clicks making a transaction for a permanent storage.
i.Bitcoin (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:32:01 PM

I still have notes which I wrote over 20 years ago, which were written with a cheap pen on ordinary note paper.

My mum has diaries of my grandmother which were written before the war. All still perfectly legible.

Now if you want to preserve the private keys for CENTURIES it's of course different. But I think by the coins will have either been long spent by your descendants or Bitcoin has become irrevelant. Wink

i'll have to disagree with a "Bitcoin has become irrelevant" statement above.

Please don't take it personally but if you can imagine the concept and the scale of this whole project?
~ This is the Bigest Thing what has evolved out of Open Source and happened to US ALL! ~
This is a cure for dying and corrupted planet governed by brainwashed and uneducated individuals.
i promise you that kids of your grandchildren will have difficulty to understand how primitive we were cutting trees to make useless notes calling them money that derives its value from government regulation or law.
kodo

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:24:32 AM

Theres a lot just do some looking around they are all the same.
tinus42

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 10:39:00 AM

i'll have to disagree with a "Bitcoin has become irrelevant" statement above.

Please don't take it personally but if you can imagine the concept and the scale of this whole project?
~ This is the Bigest Thing what has evolved out of Open Source and happened to US ALL! ~
This is a cure for dying and corrupted planet governed by brainwashed and uneducated individuals.
i promise you that kids of your grandchildren will have difficulty to understand how primitive we were cutting trees to make useless notes calling them money that derives its value from government regulation or law.

It's quite possible that in 100 years they will have invented something better than Bitcoin. Or it just fails to take off. There have been numerous brilliant inventions that weren't accepted by society. Hero of Alexandria invented the steam engine in the first century AD but it never was put to use because the ancient world wasn't ready for it. They had slaves so they didn't need steam power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeolipile
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 11:48:54 AM

M-disk is nothing compared to Quartz storage. Once we get it that is.....
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=data-saved-quartz-glass-might-last-300-million-years

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
TObject

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 07:24:54 PM

For the ink I would recommend Iron Gall:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_gall_ink

Time tested.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: