Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:41:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Negative Trust  (Read 404 times)
Cyberczar (OP)

Activity: 368
Merit: 100

Crypto and blockchain writing service

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:34:51 PM

Hello folks,
Let's look into this!
I want to know how negative trust works. A few hours ago, I came across a fellow managing a campaign. In the campaign thread, I notices a link that was broken and blank. I pm him to point out the problem thinking I was helping a friend. He asked me to show him the link and I tried telling him where to find it. Apparently unable to do so, he threatened to 'neg' me.

So my question is, how does negative trust work? Do people neg people out of malice?

Are there no ways people negged out of malice could appeal and revoke such wickedness?

How does the forum ensure folks don't get begged by meanhearted people?

Thank you for your anticipated insight.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:37:51 PM

Usually you get negged because of fraud, misbehaviour or breaking rules. Tho trust is not moderated so anyone can give and get negative feedbacks even when they do nothing wrong.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 03:45:24 PM

So my question is, how does negative trust work? Do people neg people out of malice?

Yes.

Anyone can create any feedback they want.  Feedback is simply a way for a user to say what they think about another user.  If someone wants to say they don't like you, or that they don't think you are trustworthy, then they are allowed to say that.  People who read that feedback can decide for themselves if they think the feedback is coming from someone that gives reliable feedback, or if the feedback is coming from someone that gives unreliable feedback.

Are there no ways people negged out of malice could appeal and revoke such wickedness?

No.

You aren't allowed to decide what someone else thinks about you.  If someone thinks that you are untrustworthy because your name starts with a "C", then they are allowed to say that they think you are untrustworthy.  It is up to each user to decide for themselves whether that feedback from that person is reliable.

The forum allows each user to set up their own trust list.  This is a list of the people whose feedback the user trusts.

The forum also allows each user to choose whether they want to trust the feedback of all the people that are trusted by those on their own trust list.

The forum allows each user to choose how many levels of "trusted by trusted" the user wants to include.
ClvrGmr

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 03:55:10 PM

Hello folks,
Let's look into this!
I want to know how negative trust works. A few hours ago, I came across a fellow managing a campaign. In the campaign thread, I notices a link that was broken and blank. I pm him to point out the problem thinking I was helping a friend. He asked me to show him the link and I tried telling him where to find it. Apparently unable to do so, he threatened to 'neg' me.

Well negative trust are not just given to an account without any further evidence of fraud, scam or any malicious doings. This is why there are moderators to almost every section in the forum. They confirm or review the given negative trust and if proven will imply it and if not it will just be ignored.

Actually you can do a negative trust on him because what he did is some sort of a "Blackmailing" a person.
Hermes Mercury

Activity: 318
Merit: 21

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:11:18 PM

Hello folks,
Let's look into this!

excuse me asking another question on top, is there a possibility to clear the negative trust?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:36:11 PM

excuse me asking another question on top, is there a possibility to clear the negative trust?

The person that creates the feedback can edit or remove it if they want to.

SureLockLoans

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 04:38:01 PM

Hello folks,
Let's look into this!

Like Danny said you can request them to take it down but in all likelyhood negative trust is permanent and not many people actually remove it after it's been given unless evidence has been presented to prove your innocence.

Hermes Mercury

Activity: 318
Merit: 21

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:48:00 PM

thanks, I'm afraid because I already had some deleted posts, I saw in my email, I'm tempted to avoid scam, and flood
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 06:57:23 PM

I've also been wondering how this works. I once received a mail about my post being deleted by a mod. Hope that doesn't lead to negative trust.

No, a post deleted message means that you were spamming or you broke the rules in some way e.g. by posting a referral link or by advertising where you shouldn't. You get it when your post gets deleted by a forum staff member and has no connection with trust. When a mod wants you out of here he won't write you a trust message but ban your ass Wink

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:27:24 PM

Hello folks,
Let's look into this!

You made an innocent observation to the fellow but he chose to be someone else by trying to threaten you with a negative trust but it might not be his fault because he might feel you wasted his time or maybe someone else has initially pissed  him off because of that. One lesson you need to take out of this is that when things like that happen, you either archive the particular page or get a screen shot of it for reference purpose.

Its true that trust ratings is not moderated but people can be called to justify the ratings they left someone else. So if he leaves you a red because of what you try to call his attention to, and you can prove it then someone else can leave him a bigger red which will even do more damage than the one he left for you. And if he is on DT list, then he has more to lose than you.
Cyberczar (OP)

Activity: 368

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:06:22 PM

What's a DT list?

ObscurePen

Activity: 385
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 10:26:23 PM

What's a DT list?
The DT list is the list of highly trusted members. These members are trusted by Theymos and other forum moderators. To find the DT list simply go to your profile. On your profile click the blue text saying trust. Then go to trust settings. Then scroll down. This list of members is known as the DT list.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 11:00:46 PM

The DT list is the list of highly trusted members. These members are trusted by Theymos and other forum moderators. To find the DT list simply go to your profile. On your profile click the blue text saying trust. Then go to trust settings. Then scroll down. This list of members is known as the DT list.
Nope.

DefaultTrust is automatically set to trust level 0 on every user's profiles until they remove it.
DefaultTrust contains some users in its trust list:
Code:
        theymos
        HostFat
        dooglus
        Maged
        dserrano5
        OgNasty
        Tomatocage
        SaltySpitoon
        philipma1957
        Cyrus
        Blazed
        hilariousandco
        OldScammerTag

These users are considered DT1. DT1 members can give trusted feedback to user profiles, since they are in trust depth 1 of normal users' trust lists.
Additionally, DT1 members can add other users to their trust list. These such users are considered DT2. They can also give trusted feedback to user profiles.

By default, one's trust depth is set at 2. Thus, DT3 members' feedback will not typically appear to be trusted on a user's trust profile.
Don't trust DT1/DT2 all the time, though. Make informed decisions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: