Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:12:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Playing my part in Bitcoin?  (Read 1109 times)
worldinacoin (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 10:49:15 AM

I am no longer mining as they difficulty surpass whatever hash powers I have.   It will be cheaper for me to buy the coins directly.   But I am doing whatever transactions I can using Bitcoins.   One thing I am curious about, if I leave my computer on with Bitcoin-QT installed, will I be playing a tiny part as a node in the entire Bitcoin food chain, or is there too many nodes already?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:41:08 AM

Are enough nodes , the best way of all to contribute is to introduce bitcoin to more and more people.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:54:06 AM

I am no longer mining as they difficulty surpass whatever hash powers I have.   It will be cheaper for me to buy the coins directly.   But I am doing whatever transactions I can using Bitcoins.   One thing I am curious about, if I leave my computer on with Bitcoin-QT installed, will I be playing a tiny part as a node in the entire Bitcoin food chain, or is there too many nodes already?

I believe it helps because I've been reading many times people where giving up Bitcoin-Qt because it takes too much disk space, and it's slow to start. They switch to "light" clients, so it's good news to hear of one person choosing to help the network. My understanding is that there can't be too many nodes.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
worldinacoin (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:54:36 AM

That's what I have been doing.  But it is still tough talking to the man in the street, though I see teens are very fast to jump into the wagon.  For me I introduce Bitcoin to my nephew when he was 7 yo.  I guess our future will be quite bright.
worldinacoin (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:55:18 AM

I believe it helps because I've been reading many times people where giving up Bitcoin-Qt because it takes too much disk space, and it's slow to start. They switch to "light" clients, so it's good news to hear of one person choosing to help the network. My understanding is that there can't be too many nodes.

It takes nearly a week to sync, but once done, there is really no problem for Bitcoin-Qt.   
nicolazza

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 12:03:43 PM

spread the world, your friends will thank you
DJTrey

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:16:10 PM

Best thing to do is spread the word and give out BTC to new users. I have been giving out a lot of BTC in #bitcoin-otc just for the fun of it and to spread Bitcoins to the masses. Just trying to do my part in the Bitcoin economy.

I would be very appreciative to have your DOGES or CATS:
DOGE: DRMZmvq64viwnVe8KVAvdSi1ScAdLpAdt6
CAT: 9beNzJtiYtHF3YggE9k5EG4TbDy7QZ8Hbe
jeannie

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:17:42 PM

The first step is the hardest, once they start off with Bitcoin, you don't need to tell them, they will explore everything.  But so far no schools have Crypto Coin Societies or we can really pitch our Bitcoins there.

BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:31:32 PM

I think is always good to have Bitcoin-QT open, you will help.
davidpbrown

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:33:49 PM

It would be helpful to have an answer to the original question - whether having a node running and whether then also having port-forwarding for more connections does anything useful for the network.

Do we know whether having a node running and not mining is substantially helpful to the network or just usefully locally for communicating the chain?
Do non-mining nodes even send any data or are they only receiving it??

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:37:26 PM

getting average joe on the street to take it is one thing. but proper organised merchant approaches are needed also. it seems the majority of people who tell their friends. obviously sound like they are not in work to tell work colleagues, bosses or suppliers about it.

so to all of those teentrepreneurs (teenage entrepreneurs) please don't concentrate on your brother, nephew, college dorm friends. concentrate on your lecturers, parents, adult relations that have jobs and work places that may benefit from bitcoin.

it seems to me that bitcoin is still stuck in the basement dwelling, 'youtube armchair anarchists' population. which just leads to more people having bitcoin but no big proper LEGIT places to spend them on.

yes i know that there are thousands of places to spend them on . but an average city has more then that many businesses in one city. so its still, spread out across the world very very small.

i have had both successes getting many merchants taking on bitcoin, and headaches convincing others. but the key secret is, if one of their employee's understands it and talks about it, it has a higher chance of success. so please talk to your relatives that work for a living

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:46:28 PM

original OP question
not only does it just transmit transactions. the QT client has the main rules of the chain.. the more people running X version of qt client = more people agreeing the rules are acceptable and ensures any future forks (if they are the mass party running the same version) follow those set rules and ensure that any minor changes by individuals that go against the widely accepted rules gets ignored.

which brings it on to the next important part. miners create blocks depending on whatever versions they run, so they could fork the chain easily(well with enough hash power to 51%) but without all the other nodes saying we accept or reject this block the fork would either live on or die, so yes the QT client is important

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:38:16 AM

It's very useful to have a node that can receive connections because we are losing those all the time. Thanks to you, other people can connect to the Bitcoin network.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:56:39 AM

It takes nearly a week to sync, but once done, there is really no problem for Bitcoin-Qt.   

Supposing every 12 hours, a reference blockchain was put up on bittorrent.
Then new clients could grab the reference from bittorrent and typically be under 12 hours behind.

Would that speed it up?

If the reference was kept separate from what was updated by client, then every time a new reference block was created (every 12 hours) every client would quickly update since the torrent would just need to grab the new bits.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: