Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 03:36:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NSA killed Sillicon Valley  (Read 3040 times)
gollum (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:11:58 PM

The NSA scandal was the nail in the coffin for Sillicon Valley in my opinion.

Why would any business or private person trust US-based IT-services or software when they are spied on?
Non-americans should boycott american IT-companies as much as possible and instead use services based in neutral countries, for example Germany.

In the longer term Im sure we will have p2p based hosting services with high security and no corporations, governments or boundaries, just like bitcoin mining. But til then, we got to boycott Big Brother companies such as google and facebook.
pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 01:14:57 PM

I don't know why everybody is upset with Prism, they were spied from echelon long time ago and nobody cares. They just changed the name and make some improvements on software.

For rent
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:16:26 PM

To become completely free from the invisible NSA prison we also must boycott american Operating Systems such as Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS and Goolag Androd.
That means no more iPhone, Android or Windows phone.The alternative is of course linux-based mobile phones such as Ubuntu phone.
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone
gollum (OP)

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:19:29 PM

I don't know why everybody is upset with Prism, they were spied from echelon long time ago and nobody cares. They just changed the name and make some improvements on software.

The magnitude of their spying has increased a lot compared to echelon, and today we use internet/phones more than ever. You cant compare the old fashioned spying on analog phones to the spying of your life on facebook, gmail, twitter, calls/sms and so on.
zerodrama

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:25:16 PM

The magnitude of their spying has increased a lot compared to echelon, and today we use internet/phones more than ever. You cant compare the old fashioned spying on analog phones to the spying of your life on facebook, gmail, twitter, calls/sms and so on.

Actually you're not simultaneously on twitter and gmail, therefore the total amount is a constant sum of all. When you are on one, you are less on another. The amount is larger only because of higher amounts of interaction not the amount of services. But people never felt it so close to their activity. Tapping phones is rough detail. Having access to every scroll click backspace and moment of hesitation is downright creepy. Also a lot of people didn't believe Echelon existed.

EASY CALCULATION FOR TRADES: 1 Million is 1x10e6. 1 Satoshi is 1x10e-8. 1 M sat is 1x10e-2. 100 M sat is 1. If 1 herpcoin = 100 derptoshi then
1 M herpcoin @ 001 derptoshi = 0.01 derpcoin, 1 M herpcoin @ 100 derptoshi = 1.00 derpcoin
Post Scarcity Economics thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3773185
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:29:02 PM

Why would any business or private person trust US-based IT-services or software when they are spied on?
Non-americans should boycott american IT-companies as much as possible and instead use services based in neutral countries, for example Germany.

In the longer term Im sure we will have p2p based hosting services with high security and no corporations, governments or boundaries, just like bitcoin mining. But til then, we got to boycott Big Brother companies such as google and facebook.

Sorry, but you have to be a fool to be surprised by news like the Snowden case, etc. It's so obvious that both Governments and private corporation are violating privacy at their will, both for business and intelligence purposes.

That's why we have to avoid all that Facebook, Google, Skype, Microsoft, Apple crap.... At least whenever possible, because it's really difficult to be completely "off". And that's why we have to cheer both Bitcoin and Bitmessage, and all the open-source solutions that technology can offer to protect one of the most valuable things we have: our privacy.

San1ty

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:35:28 PM

My Question to you: Give me some alternatives for popular US based internet services for a European.

Found my posts helpful? Consider buying me a beer :-)!:
BTC - 1San1tyUGhfWRNPYBF4b6Vaurq5SjFYWk NXT - 17063113680221230777
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:42:15 PM

My Question to you: Give me some alternatives for popular US based internet services for a European.

It's very difficult to look for "alternatives", as you cannot really control where your traffic is routed through. This is the very principle of "Prism", the program that allows NSANet to easily spy on everybody through the internet. The only tools we have are Tor, Bitmessage, Bitcoin and the likes - and try to avoid the corporations like the plague (use open-motherfucking-source) if you value both your freedom and your privacy. It's not a matter of doing or not something illegal, it's a matter of principle.

PrintMule

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

FREE $50 BONUS - STAKE - [click signature]

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:42:28 PM

I agree
Prism or not prism, it would be dumb to rely on microsoft or google, etc when your privacy is concerned.
Just encrypt, salt, encrypt, falsify, encrypt, and secure everything.
In Europe, your local isp is spying on you, and stores your info. Who cares about some prism.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▀        ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███████████████████████████████████████████████
█████    ▄█████████▌   ▐█████▀  ▐███████████████▌  ▀██████████████████
████▌   ▐██████████    █████    ████████████████    ██████████████████
████▌   ▐█████████▄▄▄▄█████▌   ▐███████████████▌   ▐███▀▀█████████████
█████    ▀███████████████▀▀        ▄███████████    ██▀   ▐████████████
██████▄     ▀▀███████▀▀         ▄▄███▀▀▀▀█████▌   ▐▀   ▄███▀▀   ▀█████
█████████▄▄     ▀▀███▄  ▄▄    ████▀    ▄   ███       ▄███▀   ▄█  ▐████
█████████████▄▄     ▀████▌   ▐███▀   ███   ██▌      ████    ██▀  █████
██████▀▀   ▀█████▄    ███    ████   ███▌  ▐██    ▌  ▐██▌      ▄▄██████
█████    ▄████████    ▐██    ██▀▀   ██▀   ▐▀    ▐█   ██▌   ▀██▀▀  ████
████▌   ▐████████▀    ███▄     ▄▄▄     ▄    ▄   ▐██   ██▄      ▄▄█████
████▌   ███████▀    ▄███████████████████████████████▄  ▀▀██████▀▀ ████
█████    ▀▀▀▀     ▄█████████▀    ▀█▀    ▀█       ▀████▄▄         ▄████
██████▄▄    ▄▄▄▄████████████  █████  ██  █  █  █  ████████████████████
█████████████████████████  █▄    ▄█▄    ▄█  █  █  ████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀▐▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀    ▄▀█████▀     ▀█▄
▄█▄    █        ▀▄   ███▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▄       ▄▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████      ▀▄▄▄▄▄▀       ███
███     ▄▄███████▄▄     ▄▀█
█  ▀▄ ▄▀ ▀███████▀ ▀▄ ▄▀  █
▀█   █     ▀███▀     ▀▄  █▀
▀█▄▄█▄      █        █▄█▀
▀█████▄ ▄▀▀ ▀▀▄▄ ▄▄███▀
▀█████        ████▀
▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀
● OVER 1000 GAMES
● DAILY RACES AND BONUSES
● 24/7 LIVE SUPPORT
SylTi

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:43:18 PM

There you go : http://prism-break.org/

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:44:38 PM

I agree, let me quote this excellent piece from an article I read recently:
"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it." - Albert Einstein

To effect change we are left with a boycott in everything but name. It means that non-US Western businesses need to start using "not subject to US law" as a marketing point. We need cloud providers and software vendors that don't have a US presence, no US data centers, no US employees - no legal attack surface in that nation of any kind. Perhaps most critical of all, we need a non-American credit-card company.

If enough of us start to pull our technology purchases out of the US they will indeed sit up and take notice; money leaving the country may well be one of the only things that will ever cause them to do so.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:52:02 PM

"Never do anything against conscience even if the state demands it." - Albert Einstein

To effect change we are left with a boycott in everything but name. It means that non-US Western businesses need to start using "not subject to US law" as a marketing point. We need cloud providers and software vendors that don't have a US presence, no US data centers, no US employees - no legal attack surface in that nation of any kind. Perhaps most critical of all, we need a non-American credit-card company.

If enough of us start to pull our technology purchases out of the US they will indeed sit up and take notice; money leaving the country may well be one of the only things that will ever cause them to do so.

Yes Sir. Fuck those pricks. But beware, believing that non-US Western businesses are somewhat independent from the US is delusional. All the West is part of the same "axis", and 90% of Western Govs. will do whatever daddy-US says.

The revolution has to be done at a user level.

calian

Activity: 354

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:55:08 PM

To become completely free from the invisible NSA prison we also must boycott american Operating Systems such as Microsoft Windows, Apple iOS and Goolag Androd.
That means no more iPhone, Android or Windows phone.The alternative is of course linux-based mobile phones such as Ubuntu phone.

I like the idea of a Ubuntu phone but if you're going to wear a tinfoil hat it's probably not the solution you want to promote. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/
levino

Activity: 362

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 01:58:51 PM

Android is open source. You can check for backdoors.

BM-2cWwQnMzK9XFTjfn6jSRRJwTG8a2wooR9A
www.coyno.com - www.bitcoinage.de
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:59:02 PM

I like the idea of a Ubuntu phone but if you're going to wear a tinfoil hat it's probably not the solution you want to promote. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/

Ubuntu is not a solution. If In-Q-Tel knocks at their door (if they didn't do it yet) they will sell to them everything, including their grandma's underwear.

I very much prefer Tails or Whonix.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:47:20 PM

Another thing, I really think we should ditch the current centralized domain system. It's fine to have non-US ccTLD, but it won't last long. We're going to need full decentralization, more and more countries are jumping on the censorship wagon. It would be great also to see networks such as Tor grow and become more common use. We need to embrace these tools that give us privacy.

Yes Sir. Fuck those pricks. But beware, believing that non-US Western businesses are somewhat independent from the US is delusional. All the West is part of the same "axis", and 90% of Western Govs. will do whatever daddy-US says.

The revolution has to be done at a user level.
Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of "businesses" as a general concept. I believe in agorism, still, it's a nice selling point, even for agorists, being able to claim "not subject to US law". I think it will be difficult for US to claim jurisdiction over someone who denies all US customers, blocks all US IPs, do not have any servers or domains in the US.

I find that very comfortable, after all, they do have one of the sickest justice systems on earth (imo) Smiley

Gabi
Legendary

Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:02:13 PM

Android is open source  Wink

owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

who created and first used the internet >>next
jdbtracker

Activity: 727
Merit: 500

Minimum Effort/Maximum effect

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:15:08 PM

The only solution of course is to start using open source software with homomorphic encryption or go to full open systems like Bitcoin that record your economic data but not your name... this way we all win, no secretive cabal can dominate, their effects are recorded because they are part of the system too and everyone can observe them... or with encryption not.

With homomorphic encryption there is no need for a third party security provider, another case of white collar industry being automated by advances in cryptography.

We can't bypass the spying all countries do regardless if you trust them or not. look at Libya, Egypt they found data logging software that
was filtering the entire internet... they were able to shut off the internet! don't kid yourself, everything you do and say online is being monitored,
they are just hoping for the day that they can tag all your regular mail, cheques, person to person conversations and filter it all so one single person can monitor all humanities activities.  This is evolutionary, data is getting so complex but singular people need to understand it so the advancement goes from increased complexity to simplification to more complexity and simplification this is how our pattern recognizing minds work.

If you think my efforts are worth something; I'll keep on keeping on.
I don't believe in IQ, only in Determination.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:16:35 PM

don't kid yourself, everything you do and say online is being monitored

This. Believing otherwise is pure denial of facts.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: