Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 10:37:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If bitcoin is deserted  (Read 348 times)
tora

Activity: 532
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 06:40:09 PM

I can't really see any crypto replacing bitcoin. Bitcoin was first and has largest following. If bitcoin collapsed then there is no reason to doubt all cryptos would follow.
Paid Piper

Activity: 329
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 08:00:01 PM

What will happen once after a fork, every decides to leave/sell out their bitcoin for the forked alt. Whatever the reason, whichever the fork and outcome name, would that be the end of bitcoin? How will the btc value be afterwards?
And how would the miners react to it?

You've already answered your own question. If everybody sell their coins the value will be 0. I mean it wouldn't even be everyone as not all coins are available for trading. Some of them are on abandoned or lost wallets and so on, so even if only 50% of coins in circulation got dumped in a short time (like 1 month) the price would temporarily plummet to double digits. Exchanges wouldn't be able to hold liquidity.

I think that if 50% bitcoin will lost so it means that the supply will interrupted and therefore the price  will even increase more and more,  because those people who will be holding bitcoin, they may not be ready to sell their bitcoin and therefore we can expect a very big change and increase in the price of bitcoin.
illinest

Activity: 454
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 08:13:41 PM

not worried about everybody leaving BTC because it is highly unlikely that these many people will shift from the gold standard in the industry to something less unless something catastrophic occurred to BTC and another group was there to capture the mistake.

So, what's your opinion on the Segwit2x fork next month? Because technically that will be a "shift from the gold standard" to a new altcoin. I know the Segwit2x backers don't want to see it that way, but that's technically what it is.

Intentionally or not, I think the blunders of Bitcoin Gold have helped get that reality across to people as well. Hard forks are altcoins. There's nothing wrong with altcoins. But you might have a hard time convincing users why they should use an altcoin instead of legacy Bitcoin.
Apes

Activity: 1316
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 08:36:27 PM

nothing is impossible, BTC will have its ups and downs.
tide is the usual thing, all will experience it .. the most important stay consistent and stay calm .. all there is no time to give up because it will all end with a beautiful .. stay spirit and never give up ..
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 08:40:33 PM

What will happen once after a fork, every decides to leave/sell out their bitcoin for the forked alt. Whatever the reason, whichever the fork and outcome name, would that be the end of bitcoin? How will the btc value be afterwards?
And how would the miners react to it?

You've already answered your own question. If everybody sell their coins the value will be 0. I mean it wouldn't even be everyone as not all coins are available for trading. Some of them are on abandoned or lost wallets and so on, so even if only 50% of coins in circulation got dumped in a short time (like 1 month) the price would temporarily plummet to double digits. Exchanges wouldn't be able to hold liquidity.

I think that if 50% bitcoin will lost so it means that the supply will interrupted and therefore the price  will even increase more and more,  because those people who will be holding bitcoin, they may not be ready to sell their bitcoin and therefore we can expect a very big change and increase in the price of bitcoin.

What? I wasn't talking about the coins being lost but dumped on an exchange due to people abandoning the currency. That's what OP was asking about.
Do you honestly think that if 50% was dumped the price would increase due to lack of supply? For 50% to be dumped there would have to be both supply and demand, but that demand would go down since people would panic seeing the price is going down like crazy.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███