Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:09:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: finding old bitcoins  (Read 1813 times)
hapticfeedback (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 03:30:11 PM

Hi all,

im really starting out fresh again with bitcoin.

I bought some bitcoins years ago i think about £30 just for the fun of it, from a bitcoin exchange not sure with which one Embarrassed
i have the persons name and bank details on my online banking transactions list and i will speak to the bank to check the amount i bought.
with all this news hype that i could be sat on a fortune i wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to help me find them or if they're gone for good.
i think i my have done it on my old laptop that i still have. i dont remember having a wallet, that i think you need now. would they still be in my bitcoin exchange account if i didnt transfer them anywhere even though i dont know what exchange i used? Undecided

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 03:47:55 PM

Hi all,

im really starting out fresh again with bitcoin.

I bought some bitcoins years ago i think about £30 just for the fun of it, from a bitcoin exchange not sure with which one Embarrassed
i have the persons name and bank details on my online banking transactions list and i will speak to the bank to check the amount i bought.
with all this news hype that i could be sat on a fortune i wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction to help me find them or if they're gone for good.
i think i my have done it on my old laptop that i still have. i dont remember having a wallet, that i think you need now. would they still be in my bitcoin exchange account if i didnt transfer them anywhere even though i dont know what exchange i used? Undecided

Probably, yes. Do you still have your original email? You should check if you have any confirmations of your email on the exchange?

Do you know exactly how many years ago you bought them? 2013ish would've probably been MtGox, which, if it was, you won't be able to recover, as they're gone.

See https://coinmarketcap.com/exchanges/volume/24-hour/ for popular exchanges.

Coinbase, Kraken, are all exchanges that have been in the business for pretty long.

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16600

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 07:53:23 PM

That price, around $40, happened in the first half of May, 2013 (price history).

Was it a "person" or an "exchange"? If it was a person, you may have an old wallet on your old laptop. In that case you should start searching there!
Can you "scroll back" on your internet banking to May, 2013? Most banks must keep that data for at least 5 years.

Do you still have your original email?
I love gmail for this: I archive everything, just in case. Whether it was an exchange or a person, it most likely left some trail in your inbox.

On a side note: With current high prices, I see threads like this pop up more often now. It's like a treasure hunt to lost fortunes, please post updates here if (and how) you find it back!

Jake052478

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

I will do wonder for YOU!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:36:18 PM

You should trace down or anything you can find.  You may be in good stead if you find it.  It may have multiplied the value exponentially.  If it were on the email, you can always search for it in the archives of whatsoever way to find it... You are a lucky person if it be so...
ktemur

Activity: 26

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 04:42:48 AM

or just try to forget password in all exchanges to see from which you bought it
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 07:05:03 AM

Well if you had a account on an exchange the best way to go about is to look through your history on your old laptop. Just hope you still have your browsing history on it, search for words like bitcoin, buy, exchange etc find the oldest results you can find and try to recover your password from there. Also do the same thing on your email, look through old emails which may had a word like bitcoin, Thank you for purchasing etc. If it was one of online exchange then you might have received a email like this, or you can just search for all bitcoin exchanges which were back then and look for their emails in your inbox. Good luck.
hapticfeedback (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 10:29:34 AM

ok guys,

this is what i know so far, unfortunately its not the gold mine i had expected it was only a mere £2.50 haha. it was bought on 24 june 2013 from what looks like a personal account not an exchange company as the transaction reads Mr PM Greenland. i have no idea if its still worth perusing? can anyone tell me if its worth anything from what i know now?
ill have to pick up my old laptop from my parents house tomorrow and see what i can find on that too.
consar

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 10:38:22 AM

it's probably something like 0.05 BTC.
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2017, 11:06:04 AM

this is what i know so far, unfortunately its not the gold mine i had expected it was only a mere £2.50 haha. it was bought on 24 june 2013 from what looks like a personal account not an exchange company as the transaction reads Mr PM Greenland. i have no idea if its still worth perusing? can anyone tell me if its worth anything from what i know now?
ill have to pick up my old laptop from my parents house tomorrow and see what i can find on that too.
On June 24, 2013, 1 Bitcoin was worth £64.48 (check bitcoinaverage, set graph to GBP and zoom/scroll). Your £2.50 would have been 0.03877171 BTC at that rate, currently worth £171.11.

Don't give up yet, find back whatever wallet you used and enjoy the best ROI you ever made!

liseff3

Activity: 532
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 02:08:52 PM

anyone who makes BTC purchases, definitely has a wallet account, every wallet account that is usually made with enter email address and password.
Next, do the following:
1. Login / update your emails, emails linked to your wallet account, search for messages in the login folder associated with your wallet account.
"Update your email no later than 3 (Three) months or 100 (One hundred) days 1 (One) time, of avoid deletion of emails by administrators"
2. If found, click the inserted link from the contents of the message, and you will be directed to your wallet site,
3. On the wallet page of the site, you are required to login to find out the status of your btc existence, that way is the way I usually do.
redson480

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 12:55:56 PM

I'm starting out fresh too...

I opened an old Bitcoin Core wallet I forgot I had, and it took five days to synchronise and once done showed I have a balance of 1.1 Bitcoins.

Is this worth what ever the Bitcoin price is, or a minimal sum to keep the account live?
LoyceV
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 01:24:13 PM

I opened an old Bitcoin Core wallet I forgot I had, and it took five days to synchronise and once done showed I have a balance of 1.1 Bitcoins.

Is this worth what ever the Bitcoin price is, or a minimal sum to keep the account live?
Bitcoin itself doesn't have "accounts". Any balance is kept forever if you don't transfer it.
If you hold 1.1BTC, you're holding $7000. Congratulations!

miguelmorales85

Activity: 544
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:18:23 PM

I'm starting out fresh too...

congrats lad!
and now please remember is better to have a really well kept backup of your wallet.
follow all the good practices to preserve your private key.

and remember, not your priv keys, not your bitcoins.

good luck
c-none

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:29:09 PM

OMG how did you forget it? What a pitty.

I assume it's very boring situation, hope you can find a way to recover your coins!
Blud87

Activity: 49

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 05:31:59 PM

found some old coins i mined on bitminter,
as long as you still have acess to the email you used, it shouldn't be a problem
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: