Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:21:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's say that if  (Read 446 times)
2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 04:43:41 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Let's say that I wanted to contribute to the development of bitcoin.  What would be your suggestion in regards to the route to take, as in what parts to start with?

I've always found it confusing and difficult to contribute to an open source project. In fact, I've never successfully done it. I've always wanted to, but I guess I didn't want to bad enough. Every time I'd want to contribute, I'd hit a wall I couldn't scale of one kind or another. I suppose those failures are a result of my own shortcomings. I've since, finally, aimed a spotlight on my blind spot of computer technology. I had achieved a level of comfort in the areas of support, networking and routing protocols, sys admin... But the big blind spot had always been programming and the methodologies of software development. Trying to teach it to myself was an absolute overflow of information, so I did a bachelor program online and went with a structured program. I'm really glad I did, because I really like the structure of knowledge. I've since been developing in Android Studio in my spare time, still working in IT support. I want to achieve bigger things in my career, and contribute where I can. I first found bitcoin in 2013 when a friend of mine and I were playing around with the idea of digitally stored value. The correct google search syntax resulted in my first exposure to the project 'bitcoin'. I saw the potential to disrupt fiat currency markets for a more positive result for humanity.  I got a bad taste in my mouth a couple years ago when I was set up to mine on a KNC neptune, which obviously never happened. I took some time off. I'm here, again, curious if there's anything I can contribute, besides hashing power. Question to those who DO actually contribute on to the core project: Should I contribute?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 09:55:54 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Knowing how to write C++ (main codebase) and Python (test framework) is almost a requirement to contribute to Bitcoin Core. At the very least you need to be able to read C++. Even if you can't write C++, if you can read it, you can still contribute by writing documentation.

A good place to start is to first understand how Bitcoin work's conceptually. Then go through the open issues list: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues and find things that you think you would be able to do and that you think are interesting. Some of the things that we consider to be easier are labeled as "good first issue".

2tights (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

I like big BITS and I cannot lie.

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2017, 11:44:42 PM

Knowing how to write C++ (main codebase) and Python (test framework) is almost a requirement to contribute to Bitcoin Core. At the very least you need to be able to read C++. Even if you can't write C++, if you can read it, you can still contribute by writing documentation.

A good place to start is to first understand how Bitcoin work's conceptually. Then go through the open issues list: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues and find things that you think you would be able to do and that you think are interesting. Some of the things that we consider to be easier are labeled as "good first issue".

thanks for your thoughtful response. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: