Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:42:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking savvy attorney  (Read 1997 times)
chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 07:57:43 PM

I figure it makes sense to post here before I officially contract with any bitcoin outsider.  I am seeking a savvy General Counsel willing to get his (her?) hands dirty with some bitcoin-related businesses.

I know just enough about law to get myself in trouble, so I'm looking for someone to step in and help me formulate a legal plan of attack with regard to everything from entity formation (domicile choice, entity type) and compliance.  BitcoinGateway is only the first of a number of bitcoin-related businesses in the pipeline.

Please email me at chaord.btc@gmail.com if you, or someone you know, is a qualified person that I should be talking to about such things.  While I am willing to pay, ideally I am looking for someone who believes in the coming inevitable value of decentralized digital commodities and would want to join my companies as a team member.

Happy Bitcoining!

Note: please email me rather than PM me (I rarely check my PM's).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:08:37 PM

The EFF might be able to recommend someone.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:09:28 PM

The EFF might be able to recommend someone.

Why the EFF of all organization?

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:25:57 PM

Because the EFF knows tech-savvy lawyers who are familiar with disruptive internet technologies?

Obviously it's nothing to do with the EFF's own legal services remit. I just think that if you could get them to drop a name or two it might be useful.
genjix
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:27:05 PM

We contacted the EFF and they have directed us to a lawyer. I recommend you do the same since they know their business in this area. If you want to talk just send me a PM on IRC. It'd be good since we're having similar issues too.
chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 08:47:56 PM

Yah, I definitely think it's important we build good relationships with the EFF.  We never know when/if we'll need them Wink
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
December 17, 2010, 10:30:19 PM

I got sued back in the 90s over some messages sent via an anonymous remailer I ran. The EFF was an enormous help, found me a lawyer who worked pro bono. I really owe them.

Hal Finney
JohnDoe

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 18, 2010, 01:05:46 AM

I'm not a lawyer but if you are looking into tax avoidance I recommend incorporating in Panama because Panama companies don't pay taxes on income generated outside of the country.

You can also obtain strong anonymity by creating a Panama foundation and making the foundation the owner of the company. Iirc, the name of the foundation's protector (you) is only written on a piece of paper that you possess, so it becomes very difficult for anyone to obtain your name if you are expecting to piss people off.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2010, 01:37:22 AM

I got sued back in the 90s over some messages sent via an anonymous remailer I ran. The EFF was an enormous help, found me a lawyer who worked pro bono. I really owe them.

Thank you for this. I am enjoyed on anonymous remailers in 90s.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
Anonymous

December 18, 2010, 02:03:01 AM

I'm not a lawyer but if you are looking into tax avoidance I recommend incorporating in Panama because Panama companies don't pay taxes on income generated outside of the country.

You can also obtain strong anonymity by creating a Panama foundation and making the foundation the owner of the company. Iirc, the name of the foundation's protector (you) is only written on a piece of paper that you possess, so it becomes very difficult for anyone to obtain your name if you are expecting to piss people off.

Tax avoidance is fraught with danger. Im not saying its not a great idea to incorporate in Panama but if you live in other countries you can still physically be detained, no matter what your piece of paper says.   Smiley

Look at what happened with the Swiss bank account situation where the US got them to hand over information.

JohnDoe

View Profile
December 18, 2010, 02:34:28 AM

Tax avoidance is fraught with danger. Im not saying its not a great idea to incorporate in Panama but if you live in other countries you can still physically be detained, no matter what your piece of paper says.   Smiley

Tax avoidance is different from tax evasion, using loopholes is perfectly legal. As long as he declares the company assets that he transfers to his personal account he wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

Look at what happened with the Swiss bank account situation where the US got them to hand over information.

With the foundation scheme that I was talking about, the government of Panama wouldn't be able to hand the US information about the real owner of the company because they just don't have that information. Also I think that handing bank account information in Panama is reserved for serious business like terrorism and such, they just won't bother with small time tax ninjas.
Anonymous

December 18, 2010, 04:14:57 AM

Tax avoidance is different from tax evasion, using loopholes is perfectly legal. As long as he declares the company assets that he transfers to his personal account he wouldn't be doing anything wrong.

With the foundation scheme that I was talking about, the government of Panama wouldn't be able to hand the US information about the real owner of the company because they just don't have that information. Also I think that handing bank account information in Panama is reserved for serious business like terrorism and such, they just won't bother with small time tax ninjas.

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Is that the reason google pays 2% tax ?

Dont they have an office in ireland for that purpose ?

So if a series of companies  were setup in numerous countries but  "owned" by this panamanian foundation it means the local power freaks couldn't do squat?

JohnDoe

View Profile
December 18, 2010, 11:51:45 AM

Ah sorry I misunderstood. Is that the reason google pays 2% tax ?

Dont they have an office in ireland for that purpose ?

Not sure about the specific case of google but that's probably what they are doing. Most of the super rich do this, I mean who the hell likes paying more taxes?

So if a series of companies  were setup in numerous countries but  "owned" by this panamanian foundation it means the local power freaks couldn't do squat?

No, if the companies are set up in countries that tax worldwide income then you will have to pay corporate income tax, not doing so would be evasion rather than avoidance. You have to incorporate in a jurisdiction that doesn't tax worldwide income.

The only purpose of the foundation is to conceal the name of the person/group who controls the company. If you don't care about your name being more easily accessible then there's no need to create the foundation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: