Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:45:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok. Now it is official - Mtgox STEALING bitcoins  (Read 3843 times)
mahun (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:14:34 PM

So back in June 15th I bought some coins from guy on #bitcoin-otc and decided to sell these on mtgox. I successfully transferred my 50.56 btc to freshly generated address - http://blockexplorer.com/address/18Pu9zLDzviyzjMFvH4NMZjpHiq5JrgiYU

After about and hour I wanted to check if coins were deposited to account and to my surprise mtgox.com was telling me that password is incorrect. I did not use email during registration but I did wrote down password and I am 100% sure it was correct one.

I did write at info@mtgox.com several emails and so far I seen only auto responses. I thought my account was hacked due leaked database with passwords (although, while password is not long, but it is not from any possible dictionary). I strated waiting until they fix their system.

The only thing I did not like, one fellow member from this forum pointed that my account was marked as "locked" at their database - http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=19221.msg264466#msg264466

two days ago I went through "reclaiming" process and got access to mtgox.com. Although my balance page was empty (not that I was seeing 0.00 or my 50.56 there,  but simply empty). And history did not contain any transactions or logs besides me creating account and loggin in.

I wrote to info@mtgox.com with details on transaction I sent - again, no reply as usual. And today - bam, I can not login to my account again! (password was written down and very complex).

So.. What I think is going on - mtgox lost quite a bit of coins due their error and now try to recouple these with stealing money from smallish and new accounts!

Beware, never ever leave anything in mtgox, if you absolutelly need to - do trades in small amounts, or better - use tradehill.com!

MTGOX STEALING MONEY!
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:24:20 PM

Let the bitcoiner beware.

I suppose that you can chock this up to a learning experience, whether or not you ever succeed in getting your funds back.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
SteveFL

Activity: 33

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:26:08 PM

So.. What I think is going on - mtgox lost quite a bit of coins due their error and now try to recouple these with stealing money from smallish and new accounts!

Be careful before you state your single opinion (keyword=think) as an "official" statement.  I'd revise your subject.
mahun (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 07:08:58 PM

Be careful before you state your single opinion (keyword=think) as an "official" statement.  I'd revise your subject.

I know they are stole these. "think" is related to only small part where I am trying to come up with meaningful explanation why.

If you do not like this explanation, how about this one - they simply could do this just to steal fortune and purposefully exposed their DB to "explain" why their users lost their coins.
jondecker76

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:43:19 PM

My opinion is that they are thieves as well.

Well before news of the hack became public, I had 20.19 BTC come missing out out my account. I reported it to them - again before any news of a hack surfaced.
I have yet to ever her from them. I have sent emails, and questioned them on every forum topic I could find relating to them. They simply will not respond.

I realize that in all probability, due to the database leak, my password was cracked and the crooks got in that way. But I still feel that they are responsible - and they don't even have the courtesy to answer questions to those of us that have had BTC come missing.

Why anyone would still deal with them, when there are other viable options, is beyond me

RollerBot Advanced Trading Platform
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=447727.0
BTC Donations for development: 1H36oTJsi3adFh68wwzz95tPP2xoAoTmhC
Denamen

Activity: 499
Merit: 250

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:50:00 PM

And how to deal with it? Who thinks that?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
mahun (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:06:16 PM

And how to deal with it? Who thinks that?

We need to spread a word about crooks at mtgox.com and that's it. you can't sue them, you can't harm them physically. So just learn from own mistakes and try to warn new users.
Denamen

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:12:20 PM

We need to spread a word about crooks at mtgox.com and that's it. you can't sue them, you can't harm them physically. So just learn from own mistakes and try to warn new users.

in the case of BTC claim is impossible. But I think that if the USD claim is possible!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:48:32 PM

go to www.tradehill.com and leave mtgox behind. they suck big time.
Denamen

Chainjoes.com

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:55:53 PM

go to www.tradehill.com and leave mtgox behind. they suck big time.

www.tradehill.com - Displays a message Instant Sell has been temporarily disabled for a few days. Apologies!

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
CHAIN JOES
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
|
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
📝
sal002

Activity: 490

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 03:02:31 AM

And MTGox is down now anyways.

rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:27:26 AM

www.tradehill.com - Displays a message Instant Sell has been temporarily disabled for a few days. Apologies!

You can still trade, just set a sell order.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
syb3ria

Activity: 55

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:26:08 PM

You can still trade, just set a sell order.
+ 1 Recently i have sold all my BTC at tradehill and i'm quite happy it was fast and reliable. They are not so big as the Gox but they never fail, at least not until now.
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 01:48:44 PM

use tradehill.com!

MTGOX STEALING MONEY!
Promotion of one specific exchange (among many possible), and claims of official money theft at the largest competitor in the same post.  Looks very suspect to me.  Are you Baron in disguise, now affiliated with TradeHill?

BTW, this is the first time I see mtgox split an amount after only four confirmations, but I don't have that many examples.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 01:03:20 AM

This thread lacks proof.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:02:52 AM

How many people have TradeHill hired to advertise their Exchange. If someone stole from me, I'd be upset, but I wouldn't advertise for a competitor. MagicalTux can be reached on IRC. Did you try that?
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:28:56 AM

How many people have TradeHill hired to advertise their Exchange. If someone stole from me, I'd be upset, but I wouldn't advertise for a competitor. MagicalTux can be reached on IRC. Did you try that?

Full disclosure: As of today I've made 0.01 USD from advertising Trade Hill.

That said, I am quite disturbed by the large number of threads accusing mtgox of "STEALING" when there is some sort of technical glitch and absolutely no evidence of malice on the part of mtgox's operators. People need to be very careful of making this sort of accusation; as it reflects badly on YOU, not mtgox.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
qed

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:32:35 AM

What he said. Too many posts for user with low activity accusing mtgox and advertising Tradehill.

Mobile App (Android)

Monitor miners, exchange rates and Bitcoin network stats.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 04:19:47 AM

that doesn't surprise me. in fact, i think the whole site hack is scam.
mahun (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:35:18 PM

Full disclosure: As of today I've made 0.01 USD from advertising Trade Hill.

That said, I am quite disturbed by the large number of threads accusing mtgox of "STEALING" when there is some sort of technical glitch and absolutely no evidence of malice on the part of mtgox's operators. People need to be very careful of making this sort of accusation; as it reflects badly on YOU, not mtgox.

What I should do and how I should react? I also thought it was a glitch, untill later found my account was locked, password changed, balance nullified. AND MOST IMPORTANT - NO __ANY__ ANSWER FROM __ANYONE__ FROM MTGOX!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: