Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:10:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin hodl clubs?  (Read 338 times)
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 01:02:35 PM

Hey fellow bitcointalk members, i was wondering if there are any hodling clubs out there? I mean where people stake in an address with x amount of btc for x period of time? They don't send their coins to anyone, they are in possession of their coins all the time, they just sign an address and stake it in a thread. If they want to leave they just take out their btcs no penalties etc, just a fun project. what do you think of it? Are there projects like this out there? If so please list them.
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davis196

Activity: 2968
Merit: 913

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 06:03:41 AM

Hey fellow bitcointalk members, i was wondering if there are any hodling clubs out there? I mean where people stake in an address with x amount of btc for x period of time? They don't send their coins to anyone, they are in possession of their coins all the time, they just sign an address and stake it in a thread. If they want to leave they just take out their btcs no penalties etc, just a fun project. what do you think of it? Are there projects like this out there? If so please list them.

And what`s the point of making such "hodl club"?I don`t think it`s fun.
It would be interesting if they sign a contract that they  will hodl X amount of btc for X preiod of time and if they don`t keep their promise they will have to pay a fee,which is deducted from their bitcoins savings.
They will be more motivated to hodl their btc for a long time.
The first bitcoin bank should look like this. Grin

sweetdesirez

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 07:30:40 AM

I dont think anyone rich with bitcoins and can afford to hold it for long term will have the time for the club stuff Grin And what purpose will a club serve? Moreover one with a big holding of bitcoin will also not want to expose his wealth for security and other reasons too.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:17:48 AM

I doubt there's going to be any clubs of this nature. Staking a address willingly just to show off your dick size is probably not a good idea. Those clubs would be targeted by hackers and social engineering and for what personal gain expect for ego?
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:10:44 AM

I doubt there's going to be any clubs of this nature. Staking a address willingly just to show off your dick size is probably not a good idea. Those clubs would be targeted by hackers and social engineering and for what personal gain expect for ego?

Exactly this^.
Think of it logically. Just as (most sane) people don’t go around flashing their bank account balances, neither would they their Bitcoin addresses. By doing so you only make yourself a target.
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:08:23 AM

Well it don't need to be a 10 btc hodl club, smaller amounts like 0.1 btc would be just fine, i myself am doing this, it's been 4 months i have been hodling 0.1btc, i have decided to hodl for at least 10 years and no matter what the case may be i won't be touching them. Was just checking if people were upto something like this. The club will serve as a motivation for people who want to hodl, nothing more. I think it has potential, i will draw up some fancy banners and start one by tomorrow. Do suggest me some good names if you have any.
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:17:41 AM

Exactly this^.
Think of it logically. Just as (most sane) people don’t go around flashing their bank account balances, neither would they their Bitcoin addresses. By doing so you only make yourself a target.
I really don't see the point either. There genuinely is zero point zero zero point in doing this other than putting your own captial at risk just for the sake of showing off (?). Generally, atleast here in the west, people are pretty protective of their private capital so I don't see a lot of people joining your hodl club. This is certainly not a clever way to feed your ego.
Thekool1s (OP)
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 01:19:27 PM

This is certainly not a clever way to feed your ego.

What has ego to do with this? 0.1btc isn't an insane amount of bitcoins and how exactly will people will lose out their privacy? It will just be a random address with a signature that says it's with the xyz club. I only see people getting motivated to hodl more by seeing so many members do the same. Anyway it will be a shot in the dark, let's see where do we land.
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 02:43:38 PM

This is certainly not a clever way to feed your ego.

What has ego to do with this? 0.1btc isn't an insane amount of bitcoins and how exactly will people will lose out their privacy? It will just be a random address with a signature that says it's with the xyz club. I only see people getting motivated to hodl more by seeing so many members do the same. Anyway it will be a shot in the dark, let's see where do we land.
What's the benefit of doing that? You only endanger yourself by doing such a thing because everybody will be able to know that that specific address (or group of addresses) belong to the 'xyz club. As I've pointed out already, why even bother taking the risk while you can just put on twitter that you're holding bitcoin. But if it's something you want to pursue regardless of any possible risks then be my guest, I couldn't be bothered.
error08

Activity: 1036
Merit: 514

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 05:44:15 PM

Well, stack an address with certain amount of bitcoin will not be an easy target for hackers, we could check and see how much bitcoin store in an address in blockchain at anytime, doesn't mean it will be hacked. There are few members here who have forgot their wallet passwords, but no one could cracked their wallet even for free % of bitcoin, which mean a bitcoin wallet is safe.
Even though I'm not interested to show off as well, but people could do whatever they want, in case of Op want to join or create a club of bitcoin holders, it will be fine as long as "the members" stay in anonymity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: