Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:37:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you think ASICs will force a protocol change sometime in the future?
NO! NEVER!
Maybe...but many years from now!
Not because of ASICs...maybe when Quantum Computing arrives
Yes, when govt's or big players like google start manufacturing ASICs
YES! Soon, it is getting too centralized and non "democratic"!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC mining will force some protocol change rendering 1st gen.ASIC miners useles  (Read 1936 times)
happygeorge (OP)

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:05:03 PM

I found this bet and it made me wonder what everyone here thinks

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1432

ASIC mining will force some protocol change rendering 1st gen.ASIC miners useless before Dec.31,2013

All the ASIC hype and huge hashing power will change how the whole Bitcoin protocol will behave and due to some weakness, vulnerability or some unforeseen reason, there will be a small/large change in the protocol that may or may not cause a fork in the blockchain, but regardless of the reason(s);

Before the end of 2013, AVALON's Batch #1,#2,#3 and other such "1st gen." ASIC miners will become useless.

"1st gen." includes the promised BFL ASIC miners (if they ever come) if not, then this only refers to AVALON's first 3 batches.

Later batches that may include modifications do not count.

- an additional reason for killing these ASICs may be a "revolt" by the GPU, FPGA mining crowd to DO SOMETHING! Smiley

I think for the purpose of this poll, the exact ending date in the bet is not really interesting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:10:32 PM

It's a silly proposition, because when most coins have been mined the network still needs to be maintained for transactions, and that maintenance needs to be as energy efficient as possible as there won't be much profit in running it, nothing beats an ASIC in energy efficiency for mining crypto.
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:12:42 PM

It's a silly proposition, because when most coins have been mined the network still needs to be maintained for transactions, and that maintenance needs to be as energy efficient as possible as there won't be much profit in running it, nothing beats an ASIC in energy efficiency for mining crypto.

Yeah, but I think that is only half of the equation, the other half is "control" and with ASICs the big players can very easily manufacture a gizzilion chips and 51% the network, no?
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:16:50 PM

Yeah, but I think that is only half of the equation, the other half is "control" and with ASICs the big players can very easily manufacture a gizzilion chips and 51% the network, no?

Only with one player with access to the tech.   Asic miner was in that position briefly, but it has passed.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 12:17:14 PM

No because ultimately it will be only ASICs mining, so it will be ASIC vs ASIC for control.

Ignoring ASIC as the dominant technology, is like insisting that we all keep using incandescent lamps instead of LED or CF. When electricity costs $1/kWh if you aren't running ASIC you aint gonna be mining.

happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:05:10 PM

Only with one player with access to the tech.   Asic miner was in that position briefly, but it has passed.

Yeah, but even Yifu said that he was amazed that with relatively little "investment" they were able to create the technology (ASICs) to 51% the network (if they wanted to)

Now, I think that still holds, the BIG GUNS can get the ASIC tech, and since the protocol is "locked in" a huge production of ASICs can easily do damage I think, and Yifu said that he thought that others entering the ASIC manufacturing process would need about 8 months minimum, I think he is underestimating the power of professional, and directed effort by one or ALL the BIG PLAYERS who may collude to break the current form of the Bitcoin protocol...forcing a change in the protocol (fork), causing chaos in the community, and maybe a collapse (which they would like very much)
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:27:11 PM

Yeah, but even Yifu said that he was amazed that with relatively little "investment" they were able to create the technology (ASICs) to 51% the network (if they wanted to)

Now, I think that still holds, the BIG GUNS can get the ASIC tech, and since the protocol is "locked in" a huge production of ASICs can easily do damage I think, and Yifu said that he thought that others entering the ASIC manufacturing process would need about 8 months minimum, I think he is underestimating the power of professional, and directed effort by one or ALL the BIG PLAYERS who may collude to break the current form of the Bitcoin protocol...forcing a change in the protocol (fork), causing chaos in the community, and maybe a collapse (which they would like very much)

If a big player wanted to destroy the network they could do it easier and cheaper by just doing stuff to trading side where there are no rules as opposed to the protocol which is based on rules.  The game plan of destroying share value is well established in the OTC market.  The easiest way to destroy confidence in a stock/asset is to prove that market is uneven.   A big player could do that by buying and selling large blocks in the current thinly traded market without having to get their hands dirty with all the engineering issues.

happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:18:14 PM

If a big player wanted to destroy the network they could do it easier and cheaper by just doing stuff to trading side where there are no rules as opposed to the protocol which is based on rules.  The game plan of destroying share value is well established in the OTC market.  The easiest way to destroy confidence in a stock/asset is to prove that market is uneven.   A big player could do that by buying and selling large blocks in the current thinly traded market without having to get their hands dirty with all the engineering issues.

I am not a financial whiz by any stretch of the imagination... so please help me:  If they try to play this "thin" market, wouldn't they have to be VERY CAREFUL not to make it "thick" by their actions, and since it is so wild-west-like, they may just end up loosing, the same way I have, playing the market...

If the market goes up, up, up... there is not much they can do, I believe, they will just become part of all the "action"... and loose/win with all the rest of us. No?

Please explain how the market-makers would destabilize things.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:19:09 PM

No because ultimately it will be only ASICs mining, so it will be ASIC vs ASIC for control.

Ignoring ASIC as the dominant technology, is like insisting that we all keep using incandescent lamps instead of LED or CF. When electricity costs $1/kWh if you aren't running ASIC you aint gonna be mining.

not a good analogy..  you do not have any art in your home

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:26:14 PM

Avalon played their hand carefully and well;

1. Produce and ship a reference unit, but make the "reference" designation in hindsight.

2. Sell remaining chips to all-comers indiscriminately, see whether and how the various types of modules sink or swim.

Continuing to produce the reference unit would make the specific design of that unit into a target for attack. That's why I say they've played their hand carefully. They were dealing with a landscape with zero commercial competitors when that decision got made, and now they've only got 1.5 competitors (2.5 ASIC manufacturers does not make for a competitive environment).

Maybe those that admire ngzhang + team Avalon's complete designs will get a better chance to have their own when Avalon team are satisfied that the market is diverse enough. It's been a frustrating few months for those (lucky) people waiting on units, but I believe they've adopted the most responsible strategy they could. It was needed.  

Vires in numeris
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:42:00 PM

Avalon played their hand carefully and well;

1. Produce and ship a reference unit, but make the "reference" designation in hindsight.

2. Sell remaining chips to all-comers indiscriminately, see whether and how the various types of modules sink or swim.

Continuing to produce the reference unit would make the specific design of that unit into a target for attack. That's why I say they've played their hand carefully. They were dealing with a landscape with zero commercial competitors when that decision got made, and now they've only got 1.5 competitors (2.5 ASIC manufacturers does not make for a competitive environment).

Maybe those that admire ngzhang + team Avalon's complete designs will get a better chance to have their own when Avalon team are satisfied that the market is diverse enough. It's been a frustrating few months for those (lucky) people waiting on units, but I believe they've adopted the most responsible strategy they could. It was needed.  

Isn't the "chip" the heart of the ASIC mining rigs?  If the protocol changes the various modules would ALL DIE... no?

so there really is no competition really, and as soon as someone else gets a bunch of AVALON or other ASICs the network will become centralized, or it will become a "war betweeen AVALON chips and the new design... and then...

phew, my brain started to SMOKE, I am not meant to think about these things... thanks for your explanation anyway, I will let it simmer for a bit. Smiley
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:56:59 PM

No it could not be changed to outlaw ASICs, unless they change the proof of work from double sha256.

Also the fork you propose happening in the first post would result in massive amounts of hashpower (ASICs) vastly out powering GPUs. Meaning the blockchain that would be seen by the network as 'valid' would be the one the ASICs are creating.

Remember also that most designs have a programmable microcontroller embedded, so as long as the protocol includes a double sha256 hash they will still work with a little reprogramming (Avalon uses a FPGA and klondike a PIC for example)
PaperClip

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:03:06 PM

Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?

1) let's say corporation X invest millions of USD to build mining rig with >50% hashing power of network
2) then it compromises BTC by performing 51% attack
3) this becomes noticed by public -> everyone panics and sells BTC -> BTC/USD ratio falls
4) now corporation X has equipment worth millions of USD, and millions of BTC in their wallet. BTC is compromised, nobody will buy it. Mining equipment also becomes not needed by public. Corporation X will have everything, but it will be worth nothing.

Great plan, huh? Nobody capable of this attack will be stupid enough to actually do this.

Also, imagine that protocol change would be performed. At some point of time two protocols would exist - old one (supported by ASICs) and new one (supported by CPU/GPU with updated clients). This will lead to two block chains in network. Currently ASICs generate ~90% of all new blocks, old hardware like CPU/GPU - 10%. ASICs supported protocol will be winning over everything else, and old protocol will continue to exist without any problem.
[edit:] this is the same that tom_o has already posted, while I was typing this one
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 03:06:23 PM

Normally, the nice thing about Betsofbitcoin is that people with a strong opinion on it can test their opinion by placing some money.

Hoever, this

Bet deadline: Dec. 11, 2013 end of day Eastern Time
Event date: Dec. 31, 2013 end of day Eastern Time

is ridiculous. BOBs weighting function will not compensate against late bets. So betting now makes no sense and the time-frame in the end will be very short.

Also, this is a trick bet. Note the wording: "but regardless of the reasons" invalidates the protocol fork as a condition on the bet! If the 1st gen miners are no longer profitable, they also become useless in this context.

Anyway, this bet setup reeks of trouble. I'd advise to stay away. Might be smart for an admin to remove it because of ambiguous terms.
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:41:32 PM

No it could not be changed to outlaw ASICs, unless they change the proof of work from double sha256.

Also the fork you propose happening in the first post would result in massive amounts of hashpower (ASICs) vastly out powering GPUs. Meaning the blockchain that would be seen by the network as 'valid' would be the one the ASICs are creating.

Remember also that most designs have a programmable microcontroller embedded, so as long as the protocol includes a double sha256 hash they will still work with a little reprogramming (Avalon uses a FPGA and klondike a PIC for example)

I hope you are right, because the way you put it, I think I UNDERSTAND IT!

Smiley

Thanks for the great explanation!
happygeorge (OP)

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:45:45 PM

Currently ASICs generate ~90% of all new blocks, old hardware like CPU/GPU - 10%.

Is this known for a fact? How can we check this statistic?

The 90%:10% ratio, that is/
tom_o

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:12:03 PM

Currently ASICs generate ~90% of all new blocks, old hardware like CPU/GPU - 10%.

Well ASICMINER have 23% of the network in their own operations so that's a number to start from. http://www.asicminercharts.com/live/
minternj

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:15:13 PM

Current hash rate - hash rate before avalons shipped. I think 90 is way off... but i am too lazy to look it up.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0
PaperClip

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:12:48 AM

Current hash rate - hash rate before avalons shipped. I think 90 is way off... but i am too lazy to look it up.
I was using the same idea.
This is estimation of mining devices in network:
http://s20.postimg.org/45jotrtvd/miners.jpg
(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=227792.msg2461310#msg2461310)
Overall CPU/GPU/FPGA level was almost the same for 5 months before Avalon, and its unlikely to be growing after that. I suppose actually it even started to drop. 10% maybe is too low, but anyway its not more that 15%
Double-Spent

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:18:26 AM

I'm amazed by him being amazed. It's so freackin' obvious that the investment required to pwn the network is minimum with ASIC techology, I don't understand how he can be "amazed" by that fact.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: