Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:23:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Flashcrash this month  (Read 8224 times)
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:46:00 PM

Doesn't want to stay below $100 but who knows what the weekend will bring us...  Shocked

I've been surprised at the buying pressure. But perhaps, the bigger surprise is that sellers have been careful not to bring the price down much.

Exactly.
Careful for many days now.
Fearful to break their toy?

It's almost like... they're trying to keep price as close to $100 as possible.

Must be Max Keiser.   Roll Eyes
Mahn

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:17:58 AM

It would seem the $100 support is about to be broken for good, in which case OP would be correct...

notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 04:18:10 AM

It would seem the $100 support is about to be broken for good, in which case OP would be correct...

$100 is the new $5.  Prepare to oscillate around it for a few weeks to months.

All we need now is some crazy ass Texan to try to suck up all the available investment capital and try to short bitcoin Tongue.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
JimCGSavings (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:33:42 AM

Which will only REALLY mean anything if the OP is right for the reason he think's he's right. Which should be apparent by the 18th. Besides the OP is just a clueless noob without any BTC. What does it matter if he's right? (grin)
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Mea Culpa! I'm looking at BTC at $100+ right now, Saturday, June 15th. I'm wrong, my prediction was wrong, and I am a clueless noob.
https://i.imgur.com/skCeD.gif
Let the dissing commence! (grin)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:03:10 PM

Mea Culpa! I'm looking at BTC at $100+ right now, Saturday, June 15th. I'm wrong, my prediction was wrong, and I am a clueless noob.

Just spill the beans then. What were you looking at happening and what are you looking at happening...?

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 01:45:24 PM

Just spill the beans then. What were you looking at happening and what are you looking at happening...?

Sorry I thought I had spilled all the beans. I expected the publicity from this event http://globalforumljd.org/events/2013/061413_currencies.htm to cause a crash with rumors of heavy regulation, Congressional hearings and public hue and cry starting on Friday. It didn't happen, but purely by coincidence, BTC did drop below 100. I expected the news cycle on the "We must Save The Children from Slavery and Sexual Abuse!" to blow up by Tuesday, dropping BTC to at least below 88. I expected the reaction to the news cycle to be so intense that scrutiny by government agencies, first in the U.S., and then spreading to Europe, followed by congressional subpoenas, heavy regulation of exchanges, miners and traders of BTC would commence. All of this causing a flash crash of BTC to below 50 in less than 2 weeks. Obviously I was wrong. Dang. I really wanted to think about buying really cheap bitcoins instead of triple digit ones. I think I'll stop trying to speculate anywhere but the newbie forum so it doesn't look like I know what I'm talking about. (grin)
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:11:47 PM

Thanks for your candidness, but please don't start a thread the way you did again. I mean you never mentioned "I think", "this is speculation", etc in your initial thread. And, the title of your thread is not a hypothesis, it is just a statement. That is sort of manipulative if you know what I mean.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:25:17 PM

Thanks for your candidness, but please don't start a thread the way you did again. I mean you never mentioned "I think", "this is speculation", etc in your initial thread. And, the title of your thread is not a hypothesis, it is just a statement. That is sort of manipulative if you know what I mean.

Noted. The next time I feel the irresistible urge to post a speculation, I'm going to do it in Newbies stating that it's speculation. I definitely got the feeling that people thought my intentions might be evil instead of just clueless. Oh well. Actions have consequences.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:26:45 PM

Sorry I thought I had spilled all the beans. I expected the publicity from this event http://globalforumljd.org/events/2013/061413_currencies.htm to cause a crash with rumors of heavy regulation, Congressional hearings and public hue and cry starting on Friday. It didn't happen, but purely by coincidence, BTC did drop below 100. I expected the news cycle on the "We must Save The Children from Slavery and Sexual Abuse!" to blow up by Tuesday, dropping BTC to at least below 88. I expected the reaction to the news cycle to be so intense that scrutiny by government agencies, first in the U.S., and then spreading to Europe, followed by congressional subpoenas, heavy regulation of exchanges, miners and traders of BTC would commence. All of this causing a flash crash of BTC to below 50 in less than 2 weeks. Obviously I was wrong. Dang. I really wanted to think about buying really cheap bitcoins instead of triple digit ones. I think I'll stop trying to speculate anywhere but the newbie forum so it doesn't look like I know what I'm talking about. (grin)

dickhead

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 06:31:12 PM

dickhead

I know, right? You should see a picture of me! With my fat bald head I actually DO look one! (wicked grin)
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 07:39:34 PM

Yes, there are actually a number of people who have started threads the same way you did (claiming to have secret info) and making a prediction with the intention of manipulating the price. So folks aren't too happy with this kind of approach.

Yokosan's "Feels good man" thread was a hit.

Encrypt your prediction and say you'll reveal the key in 7 days, and if you don't reveal it, you'll quit the forum for good. Then when 7 days is up and your prediction doesn't come true, don't reveal the key, and don't quit the forum either. People will love you.  Grin
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:19:23 PM

Yes, there are actually a number of people who have started threads the same way you did (claiming to have secret info) and making a prediction with the intention of manipulating the price. So folks aren't too happy with this kind of approach.

Encrypt your prediction and say you'll reveal the key in 7 days, and if you don't reveal it, you'll quit the forum for good. Then when 7 days is up and your prediction doesn't come true, don't reveal the key, and don't quit the forum either. People will love you.  Grin

I should. I should hang my head in shame and quit the forum for good right now! But...Uh yeah, you know what? Uh Uh! I think I'll just leave predictions to the pros in the Wall Observer thread. (grin)
http://youtu.be/NWXkHp_1bT8
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:50:10 PM

I should. I should hang my head in shame and quit the forum for good right now! But...Uh yeah, you know what? Uh Uh! I think I'll just leave predictions to the pros in the Wall Observer thread. (grin)
http://youtu.be/NWXkHp_1bT8

(grin) Huh

How old are you? 80?

Stop embarrassing yourself, man Wink

JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:58:39 PM

(grin) Huh
How old are you? 80?

Uhm, yeah, I would if I could, but I actually AM a cantankerous old geezer who's been online since before the Internets! Since 1991 on Fidonet. I was a moderator and a sysop before we  could use emoticons in echos. We used smileys. But as a moderator you didn't want anyone not understanding anything you put in a response. So I would do <grin>. Some of the fidonet  software didn't like the <>, so I changed it to (). Thus my overuse of the (grin) started. Yes, I know you youngsters call this tl:dr, but I don't care. I'm old! It's cold! Get use to it!
http://www.peacepond.com/Goo/OldGeezer.gif
(grin)
BitChick
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 10:50:33 PM

Well, OP was very close in his first prediction but fortunately it seems to have stabilized.  Hopefully the other two predictions, as he has now admitted will most likely not happen, do not.  I really do not want to go down to $50 again!  I do not have the money to buy more at this point.  For those that want to get into BTC though they should welcome it.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
JimCGSavings (OP)

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 01:38:17 PM

dickhead
That's harsh, this thread's a lot better than the usual fear mongering spam in the speculation sub-forum, usual practice is to use a dozen sock puppets to ridicule anyone who dares to suggest there isn't a huge crash imminent.

It took me awhile to realize this type of speculation was considered fear mongering. Nothing wrong with being a bear instead of a bull, but big difference between being a bear and implying that you have "secret" knowledge that will cause a flash crash. To me it was just humorous. Why anyone would think that a complete noob who confessed to having no BTC or any kind of non-fiat currency at all could gain a trading perspective better than other more experienced forum users confused me at first. Then I realized that what I was doing was considered a type of forum trolling, not thread trolling. Oh well. Live and learn. This guy was obviously antagonistic to my approach and chose to sum it up in a one word (but 2 syllable) expletive. I understand and have a response:
To misquote someone I admire: I got 99 problems and a post ain't one.
http://cdn.zmemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/jz992vb7.jpg
(grin)
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:32:49 PM

dickhead
That's harsh, this thread's a lot better than the usual fear mongering spam in the speculation sub-forum, usual practice is to use a dozen sock puppets to ridicule anyone who dares to suggest there isn't a huge crash imminent.

It took me awhile to realize this type of speculation was considered fear mongering. Nothing wrong with being a bear instead of a bull, but big difference between being a bear and implying that you have "secret" knowledge that will cause a flash crash. To me it was just humorous. Why anyone would think that a complete noob who confessed to having no BTC or any kind of non-fiat currency at all could gain a trading perspective better than other more experienced forum users confused me at first. Then I realized that what I was doing was considered a type of forum trolling, not thread trolling. Oh well. Live and learn. This guy was obviously antagonistic to my approach and chose to sum it up in a one word (but 2 syllable) expletive. I understand and have a response:
To misquote someone I admire: I got 99 problems and a post ain't one.

(grin)

Great Job!  (grin)

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Rampion
Legendary

Merit: 1018

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:35:36 PM

(grin) Huh
How old are you? 80?

Uhm, yeah, I would if I could, but I actually AM a cantankerous old geezer who's been online since before the Internets! Since 1991 on Fidonet. I was a moderator and a sysop before we  could use emoticons in echos. We used smileys. But as a moderator you didn't want anyone not understanding anything you put in a response. So I would do <grin>. Some of the fidonet  software didn't like the <>, so I changed it to (). Thus my overuse of the (grin) started. Yes, I know you youngsters call this tl:dr, but I don't care. I'm old! It's cold! Get use to it!

(grin)

Just realized that all this is actually true Wink

Long live to echos

CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 09:42:07 PM

I would assume that is rather implied considering it's posted in the speculation sub-section.  Anyone taking anything posted here as anything more than a hypothesis is a fool.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: