Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:59:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed up block reindexing?  (Read 2953 times)
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 05:14:52 PM

If my computer is shutdown unexpectedly almost always when I turn on I get a message from Bitcoin-QT that the blockchain is corrupted and to reindex. Unfortunately this takes all day is there a way to speed this up or bypass it completely?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 08:32:48 PM

Buy a UPS?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 08:48:58 PM

You know I had one but sold it. Unfortunately that will not speed up block reindexing.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

leijurv

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 02:21:57 AM

You know I had one but sold it. Unfortunately that will not speed up block reindexing.
It won't? Dang. I really hoped buying a UPS would help the computer. Wouldn't it make the computer feel more secure in it's power supply and therefore go faster and not be scared of a distupred power supply or (god forbid) a power surge of 0.1 volts? Wink

Firstbits 1Leijurv. Or, if you like cats, Firstbits 1Kittens and 1catcat as well. If you're a chemist, also 1Helium, 1Erbium, 1Copper, 1Cerium, and 1Nickel. If you like numbers, 123four, 12234,  12three.
Keybase and onename user: leijurv.
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 03:13:18 AM

Yes, I have one idea for you, if you are taking timely backups.

As I've mentioned here I have experienced frequent LevelDB corruption issues with the bitcoin-qt Mac client, both with the 0.8.1 release (which had known bugs) and also now with 0.8.2 (where bugs are supposed to be resolved).

Since trying out this "new and improved" 0.8.2 release I've had 5 crash/corruption issues, but since Macs are good about getting backed up regularly with Time Machine, I've found that I can avoid the dreaded block reindexing by simply restoring from the last good backup these files:

(on Mac all in: ~/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin)

/chainstate/*
/blocks/index/*
/blocks/blk00006.dat
/blocks/rev00006.dat

The restore just takes a few moments and is MUCH faster than reindexing the entire block database.

Diapolo

Activity: 769
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2013, 11:20:04 AM

If my computer is shutdown unexpectedly almost always when I turn on I get a message from Bitcoin-QT that the blockchain is corrupted and to reindex. Unfortunately this takes all day is there a way to speed this up or bypass it completely?

If this happens a lot you have a serious stability problem with your system, which is the first I would take a look at Smiley.
A crash should in noy way result always in the need to reindex, that is also true and problem if it is like that.

Dia

Liked my former work for Bitcoin Core? Drop me a donation via:
1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x
bitcoin:1PwnvixzVAKnAqp8LCV8iuv7ohzX2pbn5x?label=Diapolo
d3m0n1q_733rz

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 04:40:50 PM

As a repair tech, I would say take a look at whether or not you're overclocking and then, if you are, verify that your CPU isn't causing errors by extensive testing with IntelBurnTest.  If it fails, turn down the clock speed and try again.
If it passes, check your memory.  Don't bother with the Windows Memory test as it won't give accurate results.  There's a version of MemTest 86+ that's like version 5 (unofficial) RC1 that actually works with 64-bit systems properly.  http://forum.canardpc.com/threads/68001-NEW-!!-Memtest86-5.00-RC1-available-!-Need-betatesters-!  It's not perfect, but it's better than Windows Memory Test in my opinion.
Then, look at your GPU.  If you mine with it, see how many unaccepted hashes there are.  If you get a lot of them just before a crash, your GPU could be causing the problem.  You can also tell this from bluescreens sometimes.  It'll say hardware error of some sort.
Finally, look at your Power Supply.  This would take some more extensive testing, so I left it for last.  You'll have to unplug it from everything in your computer and short the power on leads to activate it.  From there, take a volt meter and check power levels and fluctuations.  If it's not steady (or if it's a bit old) you should replace it before you blow everything in the computer.
And don't forget to run chkdsk on your system after each crash.  It will sometimes fix errors in the filesystem.  Using a live DVD of Ubuntu or something similar to SMART test your hard drives every now and then is also a good idea since a failing drive will fail the entire system as well.

Funroll_Loops, the theoretically quicker breakfast cereal!
Check out http://www.facebook.com/JupiterICT for all of your computing needs.  If you need it, we can get it.  We have solutions for your computing conundrums.  BTC accepted!  12HWUSguWXRCQKfkPeJygVR1ex5wbg3hAq
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2013, 11:27:40 PM

The problem is my battery on my Laptop. When the charger is unplugged it shuts off. It's not a big deal I just noticed that sometimes if you shutdown unexpectedly Bitcoin-QT will give an error on the next start and reindex.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀