Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:22:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we limit the daily posts of newbies? If so how many should they be allowed?  (Voting closed: November 06, 2017, 04:27:58 PM)
No. - 8 (66.7%)
Yes. 1 post a day. - 4 (33.3%)
Yes. 5 posts a day. - 0 (0%)
Yes. 10 posts a day. - 0 (0%)
Yes. 15 posts a day. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions for preventing scammers and FUDers from doing damage?  (Read 455 times)
Mintycash (OP)

Activity: 220
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:27:58 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2017, 09:46:19 AM by Mintycash

Some newbies are just insufferable.

Many projects are being plagued with FUD and Alts with newbie accounts.

I myself was a newbie till recently but I think they should have a more strict limit on how much they post.

The legit ones will eventually become Jr. Members anyway but it will make the job of scammers and FUDers much more difficult as they will have to jump accounts more often in order to produce damage.

On the negative side, we might end up with loads of scammers and FUDers with Jr. Member rank in a month or so if they keep the accounts active.

What do you think?

Please vote!!! VOTE CLOSED NOW!

If you have any comments please post below, thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 11:06:51 PM

I myself was a newbie till recently but I think they should have a more strict limit on how much they post.

The legit ones will eventually become Jr. Members anyway but it will make the job of scammers and FUDers much more difficult as they will have to jump accounts more often in order to produce damage.

On the negative side, we might end up with loads of scammers and FUDers with Jr. Member rank in a month or so if they keep the accounts active.

What do you think?

Please vote!!!

Voted No! Because simply limiting the number of posts per day will not stop scammy posts...
For example if someone is trying to scam members with his project he will simply make his unique post and go on or he will create a group of newbies and everyone will make an extra post.
The worst part is that the new users that are willing to discover Bitcoin and join bitcointalk will get stuck in a unique sub/day. It is unfair for them, i am pretty sure that you will change your mind if the same thing will apply for junior members.

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:28:28 PM

I get your point and it deserves to be considered.

Yes getting less people started in cryptocurrency might be a price too high to pay.

And TBH, if if was necessary and these changes would actually make a difference I would downgrade the Jr. members priviledges also.

What I have seen in the forums lately was just so pitiful...

audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 08:11:32 PM

What do you think?

Please vote!!!

I would vote No not because I support what you are clamouring against but because generalising because of the actions of some set of people and a result make everybody guilty of that action is not ideal. If the rule had been in place, then you wouldn't have the number of such posts a junior member with 119 posts, I see it as someone climbing the stairs and then cutting the ladder. There is a control already as a newbie on the time frame he will post or reply to PMs.

What I would suggests, is to deal with people engage in that individually whereby you report to the moderator such individual, when they found merit in it, they act on it also for the fact that someone does not agree with a project means its a FUD.
SM23031997

Activity: 1092
Merit: 582

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 08:33:17 PM

Time limit for posting is quite good(Around 360 Seconds) as of now and there is no need for that daily post cap. It will only limit people and stop a newbie from putting questions and they won't able to gain knowledge that they want from us, from this forum.

Shit posters won't stop then also and make new ways to post here and the impact will be on real people who come here to know more about BTC. Seriously, It's not needed forum is running normally, spam posts and threads are deleted within minutes, scammers are getting negative feedbacks. What else you want from it?
Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 08:50:57 PM

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful answers.

If you oldy goldies think we are doing fine then I must agree with you as you have more experience than me.

I must have been in the wrong threads and it got really frustrating sometimes.

I haven't seen much spam, so I would need to give it to the moderators for the good job!
SM23031997

Activity: 1092
Merit: 582

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:16:39 PM

Thanks to you both for your thoughtful answers.

If you oldy goldies think we are doing fine then I must agree with you as you have more experience than me.

I must have been in the wrong threads and it got really frustrating sometimes.

I haven't seen much spam, so I would need to give it to the moderators for the good job!
If you don't like anything then you can report that. there is a link available in the right-hand corner of every post called as report to moderator use it to report spammers and shitposters. Soon with time you will be able to achieve higher accuracy like others - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2166379.0

Here is mine I know it's low but will work further on improvement.
You have reported 103 posts with 97% accuracy
Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:37:44 PM

Interesting! Thanks!

I have reported some people but, although I thought my reporting was justified, my accuracy has dropped to 50%, so I thought to wait till I am more knowledgeable about the rules before doing more reports.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 01:37:15 AM

What do you think?

Please vote!!!
I disagree with this, while that will make the job of scammers more difficult it is going to make more difficult for real users to join the community, if they get a limitation like that they might as well decide to not bother anymore and that is not something we want since we want to encourage people to join the forum and to clear their doubts, so I think we need to find other ways to curb the activity of scammers but which does not affect regular users.
ObscurePen

Activity: 385
Merit: 266

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 03:44:30 AM

I voted no. I like the time limit idea that is already used. It is much more efficient than completely knocking the posting ability off the newbies like that. 3 posts a day is bull shit. If I was to give this idea some more consideration, I'd require a larger post limit. Say 10 post per day. Otherwise, it just becomes annoying and unfair.
Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:18:07 AM

I voted no. I like the time limit idea that is already used. It is much more efficient than completely knocking the posting ability off the newbies like that. 3 posts a day is bull shit. If I was to give this idea some more consideration, I'd require a larger post limit. Say 10 post per day. Otherwise, it just becomes annoying and unfair.
Added!

Nobody voted for 2 and 3 posts a day so far so I changed those for 5 and 10 posts a day limit plus an extra option of 15 post a day limit (Although I am not sure how that can be helpful).

So far the NO is ahead and people voting no have given good reasons to not to change this. Still it might be interesting to see what is the community opinion of the issue at the end of the poll.

Thanks.
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 08:36:28 AM

Still it might be interesting to see what is the community opinion of the issue at the end of the poll.
Suppose the limit of 1 post a day is implemented.

Scammer perspective: "I will no longer be able to post more than 1 time a day. I will now create dozens of new accounts in order to try and scam on each one since this is the only way I can bypass the limit."
Spammer/FUDster perspective: "I cannot spread FUD more than once a day. Therefore, I must create dozens of new accounts in order to post more than once on the thread."

Both are essentially the same. This limit also indirectly helps them as they create more opportunities to scam/spread FUD and start to flood the forum more.
The only thing this really prevents is bots... kind of. One could simply create a huge mass of accounts and then use them. Sure, they won't be able to spam as much but it will still be automated bullshit that nobody wants.
And this is disregarding the negative impact towards people who may have hacked accounts & want to respond to the thread or newbies who are trying to help someone in a discussion that may be time-sensitive.

Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 08:55:48 AM

I rest my case!

You all have given good reasons why there should not be a limit to the number of post! And I trust higher ranks know better than me what's going on!

Poll closed!

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2017, 09:20:10 AM

Removing the newbie jail was a grave mistake. However, just outright limiting it to X post per day won't solve anything.

And this is disregarding the negative impact towards people who may have hacked accounts & want to respond to the thread or newbies who are trying to help someone in a discussion that may be time-sensitive.
It could be modified to per-board limits though. For example, you could modify it so that Meta does not have a limit.

Poll closed!
You should close the thread as well if you don't want to continue discussing this specific proposal. You could, however, edit it so that it discusses the issue in a more general way.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Mintycash (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2017, 09:42:11 AM

Removing the newbie jail was a grave mistake. However, just outright limiting it to X post per day won't solve anything.

It could be modified to per-board limits though. For example, you could modify it so that Meta does not have a limit.

Poll closed!
You should close the thread as well if you don't want to continue discussing this specific proposal. You could, however, edit it so that it discusses the issue in a more general way.
Done! Thanks!

I myself don't want to but I am learning interesting things and opinions about the forum inner workings including yours. What was the Newbie jail?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: