Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:38:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why did Satoshi use 3 different emails?  (Read 289 times)
dg88 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 05:34:13 PM

My apologies if this was previously discussed, but I couldn't find anything on the specific subject.

We know Satoshi used a GMX, Anonymous Speech, and Vistomail email-address. The latter two are by the same provider but require separate registrations.

So, why did Satoshi not only use one email-address?

Wouldn't it pose a greater potential security risk using 3 different emails?

Or, and I'm not sure if this would have been necessary - were 3 different email-addresses used in order to accommodate 3 different people, who created Bitcoin together, and all needed their own separate logins?
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LilibethSantos

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 05:38:44 PM

My apologies if this was previously discussed, but I couldn't find anything on the specific subject.

We know Satoshi used a GMX, Anonymous Speech, and Vistomail email-address. The latter two are by the same provider but require separate registrations.

So, why did Satoshi not only use one email-address?

Wouldn't it pose a greater potential security risk using 3 different emails?

Or, and I'm sure if this would have been even necessary - were 3 different email-addresses used in order to accommodate 3 different people, who created Bitcoin together, and all needed their own separate logins?

Perhaps he just quickly created throwaway email accounts and forgot the passwords/recovery information. We will probably never know since Satoshi seems to have disappeared from the Bitcoin community.

dg88 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 06:11:59 PM

Perhaps he just quickly created throwaway email accounts and forgot the passwords/recovery information.

Good point, but those weren't throwaway email accounts. I could be wrong, but he used all those email-addresses for an extended period before he disappeared.

It just bugs me. Why not use 1 email-address. Every additional email-address is an additional security risk. Especially that GMX email-address.

Why even use GMX to begin with. He goes through all that trouble to register bitcoin.org through Anonymous Speech, and then uses a GMX email-address?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: