Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:15:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase statements on Segwit2x  (Read 268 times)
naf (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 08:17:12 PM

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq

Coinbase statements have non sense

First:
"All Coinbase users with a BTC balance at the time of the fork will automatically be credited with an equal balance of B2X."

Then:
"Because Bitcoin and Bitcoin Segwit2x will have identical blockchains up until the point of the fork, it is possible to send the same transaction on one chain and then “replay” it on the other. This can lead to inadvertently sending both BTC and B2X funds at the same time. In order to prevent this, developers must implement a protection mechanism into their software which prevents replays from occurring."

WTF? If it is not going to be replay protection, how are you giving an equal balance of B2X? It sounds as if they are inventing these coins (which wouln't surprise me as future coins are already exchanged in some sites...)

Finally:
"Bitcoin Segwit2x does not have any built-in replay protection, but Coinbase has implemented our own replay protection system. You can safely send any BTC or B2X from Coinbase without worrying about replays on the other chain."

WTF WTF? It seems that Coinbase is making some code! LOL

I'm sure Coinbase B2X will be imaginary coins that would become real only if Segwit2x has replay protection. Otherwise, they would be giving you free money...

REALLY, I think all this is going out of control!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fiulpro

Activity: 1862
Merit: 830

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 08:52:48 PM

I don't think that necessary for them to code for a Strong reply protection since, the developers have intended a method for that only , not exactly like the signature that we used in BCH but more like some weird scheme that I don't support, you need to send a small amount to an address that starts by bit... Something i don't remember the full name.
Also they haven't placed any replay protection because I have heard that the developers think that they are going to be the dominant chain in the sector thus they want to make everything less complex and more compatible with the current scheme..
Like that will happen 😂😂😂😂😂 people are dumping BTG and I really think replay protection won't be needed because they will cease to exist and will only be found in our offline wallet as an option that we never think about .

But anyways what coinbase is doing is just tightening security since the replay protection they (BTG developers )have devised is so faulty, its funny thought but they are doing the best they can to make users transactions more secure and thats commendable.
Yes they didn't got a very good writer that can easily explain what they aims at attaining but what they are doing is right when it comes to security of your users you need to take matter in your hands if..the developers are doing very less about it because of day dreaming and over confidence.

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██
█████████▀██▀████████
████████▀
░░░░▀░░██████████
███████████▌░░▄▄▄░░░▀████████
███████
█████░░░███▌░░░█████████
███
████████░░░░░░░░░░▄█████████
█████████▀░░░▄████░░░░█████████
███
████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀░░░░▄████████
█████
███▌▄█░░▄▄▄▄█████████
▀████
██████▄██
██████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀
.BitcoinCleanUp.com.

.     Debunking Bitcoin's Energy Use     .
███████████████████████████████
███████▀█████████▀▀▀▀█▀████████
███████▌░▀▀████▀░░░░░░░▄███████
███████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████████
████████▄░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▄▄████████████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
...#EndTheFUD...
rainbow169

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:22:04 PM

I am not sure what coinbase is doing, off chain transactions between BTC and B2X before full replay protections are implemented? Or some real code changes to B2X? If the latter, will that be on chain compatible at all? I will just stay away from coinbase completely for the fork as they reserve the right to select the "winning" chain as BTC, it could end up that you sending BTC(B2X) to your wallet (BTC) or vise versa.
shursight

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 09:27:23 PM

Far as i know they dont have the same blockchain after all, coinbase has always been shady for me and i have never trusted in that shitty exchange/wallet or whatever is it.
But it is good to hear that they are going to distribute b2x to bitcoin holders, they didn't do it with the previous fork of bitcoin gold, and it is nice to see that they are going to support this new fork.
They are crap, i know that, but it gives us more confidence about the forks.

++++++
+++++++   ++++++
+++++++  +++++++
++++++   +++++++
+++++  +++++++++
      ++++++++++     
+++++++  +++++++
+++++++   ++++++
++++++++  ++++++
++++++++   +++++
++++++++   +++++
+++++++

XRPNow
Ripple Price & News
XRP Price / Ripple News /
XRP Price Prediction

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

COINDOO
Latest Blockchain and Cryptocurrency News   
Bitcoin News Today

++     
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++
++

THECCPRESS
Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Tabloid
Blockchain News Today
leex1528

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:30:12 PM

I don't get exactly what is happening here.  So Bitcoin is going to fork and we are going to have coins divided up?  Didn't it already fork once with Bitcoin Cash.  I remember when that happened Coinbase said they were not going to allow the purchase or anything of Bitcoin cash, so what is different about this new fork that is coming?
crypto_Butterfly

Activity: 186
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:39:24 PM

weirdos how they change statements Grin
I dont think they will give you the next baby child, they never give before. Coinbase is the worst when it comes to fork and the new coin born due to those forks.
coinsontheroad

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:09:58 PM

Their back and forth statements on this are so shady. I'm glad I stopped using them when I did. I would never return now nor would I recommend them to my worst enemy.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: