Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:26:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I have BCG?  (Read 184 times)
drgrah (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:09:32 PM

Hi everyone, please bear with me, super and I mean SUPER green here.
So I signed up on coinbase last week and bought my first bitcoin ever.  I locked a price on 10/24.  It still hasn't been put in my account, should be tomorrow.  The question is, do I get a BCG because my transaction date was before the fork?  And if coinbase doesn't support BCG, how will I know?  And if I do get one, how do I actually 'get' it? TIA for responses, first of many I'm sure  Grin
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 7116

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 10:33:26 PM

Hi everyone, please bear with me, super and I mean SUPER green here.
So I signed up on coinbase last week and bought my first bitcoin ever.  I locked a price on 10/24.  It still hasn't been put in my account, should be tomorrow.  The question is, do I get a BCG because my transaction date was before the fork?  And if coinbase doesn't support BCG, how will I know?  And if I do get one, how do I actually 'get' it? TIA for responses, first of many I'm sure  Grin
What matters is in which address the coins were before the blockchain snapshot. If your coins were in your Coinbase account, the BTG coins will be credited to Coinbase's address. Which means that you will only be able to redeem your coins if Coinbase decides to support Bitcoin Gold (very unlikely).

Wait for Coinbase's statement after the fork. If they choose to support BTG, you will receive instructions on how to claim them. If they don't, there is nothing you can do.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
drgrah (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:47:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that's the question.  Typically, does the BTC move to my address when I confirm the buy?  Or is the price just locked and i don't own it til I actually see it in my account on coinbase?  I've tried contacting them, so far no dice...
Either way it sounds like I won't ever get the BTG but still interested in when the BTC became 'mine'.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2111

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 11:14:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.  I guess that's the question.  Typically, does the BTC move to my address when I confirm the buy?  Or is the price just locked and i don't own it til I actually see it in my account on coinbase?  I've tried contacting them, so far no dice...
Either way it sounds like I won't ever get the BTG but still interested in when the BTC became 'mine'.

Well, technically the BTC will become yours once you've withdrawn them to a wallet of your own, meaning you, and only you, have access to the private key that holds the balance.

That being said, while I'm not sure on how Coinbase functions internally, my educated guess would be that the BTC you bought aren't yours until they show up as part of your account balance. But yeah, I wouldn't get my hopes up on Coinbase supporting BTG.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: