Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 11:35:01 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Minor Question About Difficulty  (Read 439 times)
Andijviesoep (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:52:12 PM

Hello everyone, I didn't look around the forum very much so please excuse me if this question has been asked alot before. In any case it is not clearly explained on the official bitcoin wiki.

My question is, besides 'regulating' the rate of blocks found, what is the role of difficulty? The emergence of ASICs will probably cause a great increase in difficulty this year. Does difficulty also reinforce the security of the network? I find this interesting because if so, I'd say the bitcoin value can be expected to go up with the prevalence of ASICs since they will lead to a more secure network and might attract more investors.
Damnsammit

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 09:53:39 PM

ASICs are going to move all the smaller rigs (most personal miners) to LTC or FTC.

Meanwhile, someone will try to develop an ASIC for LTC but find out that scrypt is a lot harder to make an ASIC for than SHA 256 is...
Andijviesoep (OP)

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:18:51 AM

Yes, but what aspects of the bitcoin network does difficulty affect, besides the hashing power needed to find a block?
hoewer4what

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:23:45 AM

Yes, but what aspects of the bitcoin network does difficulty affect, besides the hashing power needed to find a block?

difficulty adjust becase this way new block is found every 10 minutes in average if the same hash speed is used as 2 weeks ago
byobbbq

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:29:38 AM

bitcoin has a set target of 10minutes per block.  but that's just the average it aims for

http://allchains.info/ shows it well.  every 2016 blocks, the system adjusts the difficulty such that if the average network hash rate for the last 2016 blocks were to remain constant, blocks would be produced every 10 minutes. 

since ASICs will increase the hashrate, the difficulty will follow.  the last few retargets were over 20%, those are massive jumps, so the presence of ASICs are really evident now
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:35:25 AM

Hello everyone, I didn't look around the forum very much so please excuse me if this question has been asked alot before. In any case it is not clearly explained on the official bitcoin wiki.

My question is, besides 'regulating' the rate of blocks found, what is the role of difficulty? The emergence of ASICs will probably cause a great increase in difficulty this year. Does difficulty also reinforce the security of the network? I find this interesting because if so, I'd say the bitcoin value can be expected to go up with the prevalence of ASICs since they will lead to a more secure network and might attract more investors.

I think the difficulty affects the security of the system as well, such that the more difficult it is to create a block, the more difficult it would be to break it. Not 100% sure about that though.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: