Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:12:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-13 Techliberation.com - Mr. Bitcoin goes to Washington  (Read 1427 times)
Stephen Gornick (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 11:19:41 PM

Mr. Bitcoin goes to Washington
by Jerry Brito

On my panel were representatives from the Bitcoin Foundation, the Tor Project, and the DOJ, and we had a lively discussion about how these technologies can potentially be used by criminals and what these open source communities might be able to do to mitigate that risk.
[...]
I was therefore interested in the keynote remarks delivered by Jennifer Shasky Calvery, the Director of the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network.  [In particular, she addressed the fact that since there have been several enforcement actions against virtual currency exchangers and providers, the traditional banking sector has been wary of doing business with companies in the virtual currency space.
[...]
It would be a shame if [banks] felt they couldn’t do business with an innovative new kind of start-up simply because that start-up has not been (and may never be) adequately defined by a regulator.
[...]
Hopefully FinCEN will revisit its guidance now that the conversation has begun, and as other regulators consider new rules, they will hopefully engage the Bitcoin community early in order to avoid ambiguity and uncertainty.

- http://techliberation.com/2013/06/13/mr-bitcoin-goes-to-washington

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 02:11:18 PM

Jerry Brito: another dickhead. <sigh>

Where are the good guys?

I'm grumpy!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: